A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Day 21 - April 9, 2008

Day 21

Since I am in Japan I keep having some weird dreams..Like its a grand clash of my imagination or something... I keep dreaming about seeing old friends from high school (Like Marlon, Gregory and Ricardo Gordon{havent seen him in like 11 years}) mixed with my friends from University {Andrew, suzette, Kimberly Stennet} along with friends from HEART trust {Jeanette taylor}...As well as my family...and old friends from on my road...dont know if its a side effect of being farrr away.

Today I found the school I was supposed to teach at relatively easy..I only asked one person for directions and I got there very early. They were having an opening ceremony for the 1st grade students...where a couple of their parents and some other big wigs came to the school...I had to introduce myself twice...Once to the 1st graders...and the other to everybody attending the ceremony. I was extremely nervous as my Japanese is poor...I just swat a few of the word dem and dats it. I already planned out what I was going to say to them which included my name, where im from, nice to meet you and yorishiku one gai shimas (i will be calling on you for help in the futre blah blah...they say this all the time) ...now when the other teachers were standing in front the crowd..they gave a very short intro...and it sounded like nothing I already knew...So All I did was tell them my name, where i am from and the calling on you in the future madniss...My staff members said it was ok but you really and truly dont know when a Japanese is being straight up honest with you because their culture is about putting on this facade (I hope is suh it spell the computer nuh have nuh spell check)...So sometimes dem tell you this is great and dem a tell peer lie...Den later down you hear yuh company call yuh and saying ray ray ray... but I hope they were being honest though....Because they are very very nice to me SO FAR...so let me bask in the early days thing...but HEART was pretty good to me on the first day..however they warned that is nuff work...


the principal took my picture today and placed it in the school magazine...All new teachers were placed in it..and it had a little writing beside it...the only thing I understood beside mine was ALT..so I dont know if it saying Monkey ALT or what......The rest of the day I just sat and steered in space...Ocationally go on the computer and studied hiragana because I dont start actually teaching at this particular school until next week Monday...


A little about Japan that I stole from my friend`s email


Did you know that the date in Japan is different from the date in Jamaica? No. Im not referring to the 14-hour time difference. Actually, todays date in Japan would be written 20-04-06. This is because according to the Japanese calendar we are in Heisei 20 (which you know as the year 2008). As such, Dave was born in Showa 55. The Heisei era only began in 1989 when the Showa era ended. Each era is denoted by the ruling emperor. In addition to the difference in the name of the year, the Japanese year begins in April and ends in March. All diaries and calendars you see will display the months in this order. The spring season begins in April and this heralds new beginnings and a brand new start in the Japanese mind. This is a time of cherry blossom parties and much excitement as everyone welcomes the new flowers of spring!


Likkle more

9 comments:

K. said...

sounds like a good day.

i guess as u work learning the language(s), you'll get more confident at the public speaking thing .... but good job anyway!

interesting abt the dates and calendar thing

Bjorn J. said...

yoot seems like everytime i go fa pray i have to remember u....man, its really kool that i can live vicariously through u lol. its saction (Sweet action!)

keep up the good work and do ur ting with the language. it only cud be an asset in the bright future. nuff stories to tell the pickney dem.

Royalee said...

Hey Monkey ALT... lol... U can please tell me y u have the flag of Jamaica hung on a "panty hanger"?? lol

davay colly said...

I dont know it as no panty hanger miss royalee...I thought anything or close could be hung on it ;)

shellz said...

Was just abt to ask bout the panty hanger but ur fren beat me to it...
mi dupes... ja flag on a panty hanger??? what ya doing? airing ur dirty laundry?? ja is like a womans drawers? mi nuh kno.. wats the message here dave?? is a good thing the ppl there probably wont think twice about it...but never in ja... k boss?

davay colly said...

I again dont know this contraption as a panty hanger but as a clothes hanger...And will stand resolute behind my words :)

Danique said...

Is a panty hanger still Dave.

davay colly said...

I SAID IT IS NOT A PANTY HANGER OK!!!!! Look pn the tag or the papers when yuh buy one to see it yuh si `PANTY HANGER` write on it...then unnu can come argue wid mi.... :)

Ebiakpo-aboere said...

sorry Dave got to agree with my fellow females...it is a panty hanger...it really is...hush...

Glad to know that you're settling in...always have a prayer for you,much love