A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Day 28 - April 16, 2008

Day 28

Its not even 1 month yet since I am in Japan and it already feels like 2 years seriously.

Drove a little faster than normal today to work...when I reached, the office administrator told me I have to pay 2200 yen per month for lunch...that sometimes I really dont feel like eating...So I tried to tell them that in May, I`m not sure if I will be taking lunch... this is because (1), I trying to save every penny for my trip to Germany and (2), sometimes I just dont want to eat at lunch time (I didnt tell them this though)...shortly after I told the administrator, the principal called me and asked me why?? So I told him what the company told me at the training...which was that if you are sheduled by the company to take lunch, then you should take it and pay for it, as this is a part of your job for that day....ooh we SHOULD get a schedule everyday from our employer. This shedule should specify exactly what you should do each day and which classes you should teach?????? up till this blessed day I dont si one from dem. All I get is the schedules from the schools... so what really my company was saying is that, if you dont see "have lunch with kids" on your work schedule...then it is totally up to you if you want to take lunch....the idea I am getting from the school though (even though they dont say it), is that lunch with the kids is a must...

I did notice that when the principal called me, he had a very concerned look on his face...shortly after that...it was my company that calling me and asking me why I dont want to take the lunch in May...and the school is concerned...So I told them exactly the samething that they told me in the training...that I thought it was optional and that THEY should tell me when to take lunch and outside of that, we choose whether or not...aah bwoy..I made sure to tell them though that I hope I dont offend anyone, because it takes nothing to offend some Japanese I gather...So now what my company is telling me, is that, if I dont want to take lunch, I should call them (my company) and tell them that I dont want lunch for that period, then they will inform the schools...what a complicated process...and this was not what I heard in the training...

Anyway..some people from the USA came alsong with 2 Japanese principals to view 2 of my classes today to see what I was doing I guess...I didnt like how one of the Japanese men was looking at me but maybe again, it could just be my mind...Oh this school they told me was a special school, in that every now and then people from anywhere will just pop in and view my classes, video tape it and/or take pictures of me teaching...So I must ALWAYS be prepared and ready....for me the classes went pretty well though and the principal told me that the visitors said they too enjoyed di class...again I dont know if this is so or not....

This internet place soon close suh mi gone...

2 comments:

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

So Dave....you nuh plan fi get hungry? What are the lunch alternatives. Tell them that u carry lunch so don't need to pay for lunch again.

madald said...

Bwoy trust me, i couldn't live in Japan. It is as if you're constantly walking on eggshells with those people. You're right, it seems as if you've been away longer than just a month. 11 more to go!