A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, April 20, 2009

Day 395 { Jamaican Party In Gakuentoshi, Kobe } Saturday, April 18, 2009

Day 395 { Jamaican Party In Gakuentoshi, Kobe }

Woke up at 6:30am this morning in order to catch the 7:23am train... needless to say I almost missed it..... While I was driving to the train station.. I managed to give the ticket lady ¥200 for parking and she said in Japanese "please hurry the train is coming!!!" .... As soon as I paid the money and exitied...it was the train I was looking at about to stop... I had to run up and down 2 flight of stairs, then luckily caught the train... Its about the 3rd time....this close call thing happening to me...

I then got to Okayama city, and based on the information I received from the people last night, I found the ticket office in no time... The bus stop was right infront of the ticket office.... I then took the 2 hr 30 mins trip from Okayama City to Sannomiya, Kobe.... Which is like the main part of Kobe I believe....I then had to call my friend Ovando (whose wife was having the birthday)...For him to give me directions as to how to get to their apartment....I then took another train for about 25 minutes, which took me to Gakuentoshi which was the area that they lived in... I then met up with him and got to their apartment.... Now, this married couple I knew them only through phone calls and from people asking me if I knew them....We have Several mutual friends.... And this was the first time I was actually meeting them in person... We were even at a banquet together in 2005 where Ovando gave a speech....But then I didn't really know him...So I saw him before in 2005...But we never officially met... So after about an hour or two of talking with Ovando and Memry.....Me and Ovando hit the road, back to Sannomia to get some more stuff for the birthday party...I remember seeing at least 3 Jamaican restaurants in Sannomia.... One of the restaurant owners actually lived in Jamaica for 2 years he said... The name of his restaurant is JAMDUNG.... I think one of the 3 restaurants that I saw, is actually owned by a Jamaican (and I think thats the one stephen is refering to from yesterdays blog)..... We then went back to the apartment where a few persons were already there, ready for the party which should have started 5:00pm (Jamaican time)... So everything started maybe at about 7:00 gurai (about 7pm). I think in all, there was maybe about 20-25 of us there... some came from Osaka, and some was living nearby...This one guy came from a place in the prefecture name HIMEJI.... I cannot believe so many Jamaicans were living in one little area in Kobe.... and where I live, the entire prefecture have only about 12 - 15 Jamaicans, of which I know only about 9 or 10....

We all had a good time ... and it was really fun to see so many Jamaicans......Finally after a long time, I got to eat some GOOD JAMAICAN FOOD..... like Jerk chicken, fritters, fried chicken and all other sort of NICE TASTING FOOD!!!

At the party, there was a guy and a girl from South Africa.... And 3 girls for the USA. This setting made me realise that I should stop commenting about when the many Americans I know, meet up with us and talk about their stuff.... Because I realised that when we Jamaicans met up, we were there talking in our Patois dialect and many of the times not realising that the Americans and South Africans don't have a clue what we are saying.....But we would be there telling our stories and laughing, while the other persons are there staring and trying to understand....A couple of times I had to ask the persons if they understood what we were saying when we were telling our stories.......I guess its really about group dynamics..... The dominant group in any setting will tend to talk about stuff common among themselves.....Its only natural....so if there is a minority in that setting, then that person or those persons are going to be at a slight or a major disadvantage.... But what I do if im in the minority and the topic really is not to my taste...... Then I stay for a little while, then eventually make an exit...
Anyway...eventually persons started to go when it was getting late.....and it all ended at about 12:00 midnight or 1am there about.... I am starting to wonder if I should apply for the JET programme, because they have it wayyyyy easier...except that they have to work in the summer and winter...Even though there is nothing to do at work...

There is an almost inevitable topic that makes me cringe when people of different nationalities meet up... And thats the whole matter of race and/or racism....... some people can handle this topic, but some people just can't. Especially when it has anything to do with slavery and stuff like apartheid... I am sure there are sooo many other topics that we can all sit and enjoy without bringing up these stuff.

I think we all enjoyed ourselves though.... and I did enjoy myself emmencely... It was really a good time...And the hosts of the party are suuper nice persons...



Hey Stephen... Mi did pass the Jamaicana restaurant in sannomia (1st picture up top) but mi neva get fi guh in deh... mi did guh a dis nex one name Jam dung...
Di likkle piece mi read from yuh book was very very interesting...

2 comments:

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

Dave...it's FRITTERS...not FLITTERS - lol. Your English bad man...sorry fi the Japanese students dem - lol

Stewart said...

HAHAHAHAHA I was gonna comment about the same thing. WTH is a flitter yute?!?!

BTW i need to contact you about applying for a job with your company... wen nex u see me on gmail (if i dont remember) tell me how the process go please