A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, April 27, 2009

Day 402 { Another Reggae Concert In Niimi } Saturday, April 25, 2009



Day 402 { Another Reggae Concert In Niimi }

Richard( based on your comment on Day399 ), di ting is dat, 11 people did deh a di restaurant a eat... Him si dat all a wi did a eat and we were all about to pay for our food... He then suddenly decided to ask "Only me" if I ate (dont know if he thought that I ate and wasn't going to pay)...He asked no one else...I am wondering why he singled out me..............

So the guy who has the bar that likes reggae music, decided to keep another reggae concert in Niimi...When I visited his bar on Day 398 (This past Tuesday) to help him select his music, I asked him to sell me a pre-paid ticket.... This would cost ¥2000 as against ¥2500 at the gate. He then told me to wait a minute and he would get back to me.....He did not, so I ended up having to pay the ¥2500 at the gate... 4 of the other ALTs decided to come along with me to the reggae party, one of whom especially likes old school reggae music.

So we were at the reggae thing, and this one had wayyyy more people (maybe 2X more) than the last one that they asked me to perform at in last year on Day 276. The one today actually had some apparently famous Japanese promoter guys and selectors. I met briefly with two of these guys and 1 of them said they visited Jamaica twice (The guy in the Glasses)....This guy is a promoter and he showed me some pictures that he took along side several old school Jamaican reggae/rock steady singers like Ken Boothe and Alton Ellis (before he died)...He even showed me pictures of him at Hellshire eating fish and festival ... I was shocked.... The other guy was a selector (the guy in the black hat in the last photo) who said he visited Jamaica 3 times and he even met up with some famous reggae artists like bounty killer and beenie man. This selector guy was at the last reggae party thingy.....And he said a Jamaican singer by the name of warrior king was his favourite artist.....He had dub plates (records and/or Cds with the artists giving personal greetings or saying something with his name and/or organisation).

My friends got a little drunk at the party...And so did many of the Japanese persons that were there....I don't really drink and more so because I drive everywhere that I go...1 of the girls got reallllly drunk and I was quite shocked... The boyfriend of one of the girls who came with us, had to take her home....because she started to vomit on the road outside of the party....There were about 3 different apparently popular Japanese reggae bands that performed there... Actually one of them was a Japanese Rock band and the other 2 were reggae bands...They both sang to rocksteady rhythms in Japanese.........Apparently one of these Japanese band member guys did not like me. That was either probably because I was making too much noise :) or because I told them that the items that they had for sale were too expensive, so I refused to buy any... All in all, it seem that he didn't like me very much although he seemed to be afraid of me... I did not give a darn.... 2 members of one of the bands came up to me and I was talking to them about dub poetry stuff and they were quite interested...

One of them, who was the drummer for one of the bands (te long hair guy that is smiling) wanted to hear me, so he started to beat the drum and I was doing a little dub in Japanese.....His face lit up but because they were packing up, the other guy who was giving me a bad eye from I got there, told the drummer guy to basically stop it and hurry to help pack up the stuff. So he did, then afterwards we exchanged contact information... He said he wanted me to do a little performance at one of their events :) :) :) ... And ooh how much I like this stuff... these guys are crazy busy as they said they will have a performance tomorrow in Okinawa (The most southern part of Japan , and is akin to a caribbean island)..... then they will have another one the day after that in Nagoya (where I went last summer at the zoo)...

Overall it was an interesting little reggae event, though a little expensive...People came from as far as Osaka (3 hours away) to come to attend......

After the party thing I stopped at a convenient store and saw the same glasses guy in the last photo (the promoter guy who visited Hellshire)..... and this guy looked at me as if I was a ghost.... The same guy who was showing me the pictures.... In my mind I was like "wasn't it this guy who gave me his business card, why the heck is he now looking at me like this?????" .... Then I recalled that probably because I took the hat from off my head, it may had threw him off totally, and he was apparently wondering who on earth was I ......... So while he was leaving, 2 girls that were at the party was sitting in the front seat of the vehicle that he was in... Of course one being the driver.... I made eye contact with these 2 girls that obviously saw me at the party and they too were looking at me as if they saw a ghost....and while revearsing the vehicle, they both were talking to each other and looking at me in shock and disbelief...... I really can never understand these people, trust me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only reason he only asked you was because you were the only one who showed up late. He already knew the rest of us ordered stuff, because we all ordered it together. I don't know what you are trying to read into the question...