A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Days 886 - 892, Sunday, August 22 - Saturday, August 28, 2010


Days 886 - 892
Sunday, August 22 - Saturday, August 28, 2010



Day 886 {Jamaica 14 / Salt / My Sister's House}
Sunday, August 22, 2010

Went to church and performed 2 of my poems then stopped by a friend who lives on the same road as me. We chatted along with another good friend for about 30 mins.

Me, my sister and my mom then went to the house that my sister bought. It is about 7 mins away from our house, and in the same community.



In the evening I went out with 2 of the Japanese persons that I met recently. We watched the movie "salt" starring Angelina Jolie. It wasn't too bad, lots of action.

=====================================
=====================================
Day 887 { Jamaica 15 / Packing / Miss Universe }
Monday, August 23, 2010

Went to the supermarket to get some Jamaican food to take with me tomorrow. I can't believe the time ran off so quickly..... Also went to the dentist, the bank and the barber. Finally completed packing for my trip.


While packing, my sister was watching Miss Universe 2010. Jamaica's, Yendi Phillips came second (1st runner up), while Miss Mexico won.

======================================
======================================
Day 888 { Jamaica 16 / Heading to New York /Lottery Ticket}
Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Drove to the airport with my sister and mom. Flew again with Jet blue. It took 3 hrs 20 mins to get to New York, and luckily when I got out of the airport, my friend was already there waiting.

In the evening I went with my friend and his relatives to watch this movie name lottery ticket. It is a black American stereo type comedy. It had some funny stuff in it but it wasn't all that good.

======================================
======================================

Day 889 { At New York / Miriams }
Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Today, me and my friend went to get some pictures cleaned and we also went to Best Buy. I bought a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard using my credit card.

In the evening, me, my friend, his wife and child, went to Brooklyn in New York to a Mediterranean style restaurant name Miriams. We met up with one of their friends and had dinner there. The food was a little different but ok.

==========================================
==========================================

Day 890 { Extension Please!!}
Thursday, August 26, 2010

It is time to head back to Japan. But I wanted to get at least 3 days extension on my time... So I called American Airlines and asked if I could get a 3 day extension on my ticket. They said unfortunately, because my ticket was a 1 month ticket, I have to leave today :( .. They further said that, if I wanted a 3 day extension, I would have to buy a 1 way ticket for over US $2000. That is just crazy, especially when I paid only about US $1300 for my 2 way ticket.

Anyway I got my stuff ready and my friend dropped me to the airport. Now its time for a 12 hours flight to Narita airport Japan. On the plane I watched the movies Iron Man 2 and Shrek forever After. Both were ok enough movies, but Shrek was much better in my estimate. I also occasionally played Prince of Persia on my PSP.

============================================
============================================
Day 891 {Back to Niimi}
Friday, August 27, 2010

Landed at Narita at about 1:30 pm then took a Japan Airlines (JAL) flight to Itami, Osaka. It took about 50 mins but had more turbulence than the flight from New York to Narita. I realized at the airport that my Japanese has in fact improved greatly. The guys from customs asked me if I could speak Japanese and I told them a little. So they decided to ask me questions in Japanese and I pretty much understood all that they were asking me in Japanese.

At Osaka, I paid to send my luggage to my apartment (I wont get it until Sunday) then I took a bus to Shin-Osaka (Where we take the speed trains) then a shinkansen (speed train) to Okayama city. I got to Okayama at 8:56 pm and the next train to Niimi would be 9:01 pm. So I had to run like crazy, buy a train ticket then run again to catch the train to Niimi... I caught it with 1 minute remaining... Wow ... If I missed this train, I would have to wait until 10:21 pm to get another train. Such is the situation in rural Japan. My friend picked me up then dropped me to my apartment.



This has been one of my best summers as far as I can remember. So far in my memory, my best summers are

2005 (Summer camps and Virginia),

2007 (Summer Camps, Grenada and Panama),

2008 (Germany trip
and Niimi Summer Festival) and

This year 2010 ( New York, Virginia, Jamaica - Book Tour).


All of the books that I brought with me are now done. I plan to take the books from the book store in Kurashiki (The nearest city to me) and send them to my mom in Jamaica to sell to the others who didn't get when I was home.

==============================
==============================
Day 892 { Orthodontist }
Saturday, August 28, 2010

Got a short sleep then went to Okayama city. There are some new JET ALTs in the area but I haven't met them yet. One of them found out about me through my youtube videos. I gave her my email and she sent me a couple of questions. I answered them as best as I could. I happened to see her in Okayama and recognised her because she was the only other foreigner in the Niimi to Okayama train. I spoke to her for about 5 - 7 mins, got her information and then ran off to the Orthodontist.

Got to the orthodontist a little late because of the bus schedule in Okayama city. Everything went pretty well at the orthodontist so now I am wearing braces again. The dentist, introduced me to a Japanese girl who should be going to Seattle, Washington in September. She is studying English in Fukuoka and enjoys travelling. We spoke for a long time, had lunch then I went back to Niimi.



Yes Richard it was good to be back trust mi... naah lie... I hope I can get a good job and then eventually go back and settle in Jamaica.

1 comment:

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

Glad to hear about your Japanese finally improving Dave - after 2 damn years.

Keep going mi boss.