A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Days 1047 - 1053 Sunday, January 30, 2011 - Saturday, February 5 , 2011

Days 1047 - 1053 Sunday, January 30, 2011 - Saturday, February 5 , 2011

Day 1047 ( Late Pick up )
Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stayed in most of the day then while I was getting ready to sleep, I got a call from a Niimi ALT at about 11:30 pm, saying that she took a wrong train and would get stuck in a city 45 mins to an hour away from me. So I went to pick her up and brought her to her bicycle. I ended up going to bed at around 1:30 am.

It was a little hard to get up out of my slumber, but I couldn't feel good within myself to know I could help a fellow foreigner, out in the middle of no where and not help them. It is kind of rough being a foreigner in the country side of Japan.

*****************************

Day 1048 ( Coldest recorded Day in Niimi )
Monday, January 31, 2011

I noticed while I was dropping the ALT to pick up her bicycle, that the temperature meter was saying -8 degrees Celsius / 17 degrees Fahrenheit. At school I heard it went as low as -12 degrees Celsius / 10 degrees Fahrenheit. They said it is the coldest it has ever been in Niimi since they started recording temperatures. And I had to be here to experience it. So this summer was the hottest, and this winter was the coldest.

I paid off my city tax today and collected a certificate as proof. I also queried about the national health insurance thing and it would come up to a whopping 400,000 yen if I decided to take it.... HECK NO!!! I will rather take my chances with the international health plan that I have now. It is even cheaper to go back to Jamaica than to pay that.

Spoke to a Japanese friend of mine from Kobe, on skype for a little while today.

Went to bible study in the night.

*****************************

Day 1049 ( Pounding rice in the Cold )
Tuesday, February 1, 2011

There was no water at some of the pipes at my school today because the water was frozen. The kids along with some elders from around the community did the rice pounding thing today in the freezing cold. I went out there for about 2 seconds then made my way back into the office. At least this school is considerate and has an heater in the office that they keep on pretty much all day.

In the evening I went to the Tuesday English conversation thing. For 6 weeks they are having a special session with the ALTs and people that live in the community and want to have conversations with us. I hope you don't mind me using your picture Yamauchi sensei. :)

*****************************
Day 1050
Wednesday, February 2, 2011

All I did after work was played Bayonetta. I am finally at the last boss.

********************************
Day 1051
Thursday, February 3, 2011

Played football in the night. Only 6 of us turned out but it was fun. I was extremely tired after like 5 minutes in the cold gym. I was breathing really heavily as well. This cold climate is not for me at all.

*********************************
Day 1052 ( Video shoot #2 )
Friday, February 4, 2011

Gave stickers to the grade 1 - 3 kids at my school today.

After work I did my second video shoot for season 5 of my show. This one was done in another section of the Board of Education. We finished in less than 1 hour.

I was exhausted after the video shoot, but an ALT who resigned and went back to England, decided to come back to Niimi. He was a good friend so I went to see him at the darts bar. We spoke at length and I slightly beat him in a game of darts. I am finally realizing that after the week has ended, I am very exhausted.

*********************************
Day 1053 ( Out with the Braces )
Saturday, February 5, 2011

For the first time in my almost 3 years of being here, I drove to the city. I decided to drive to my orthodontist today. I made one wrong turn, but that was all. I got there in about 1 hr 30 mins. My orthodontist decided that it is time to take out my braces now. So I am finally free again. This time with my teeth well aligned :) They gave me some invisalign as well but I should use them at nights.

I had lunch with my orthodontist then I drove back to Niimi which was very very easy, because signs are everywhere pointing to Niimi. But while driving back I was exhausted and I caught my self falling asleep around the steering wheel. I snapped out of it in a split second, Thank you Lord!!!

2 comments:

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

So where are the no braces pics Dave?

Kiyoshi Yamauchi said...

Dave-sama,
Thank you for helping me teach.
I always enjoy team-teaching with you.
Of course, I don't mind your using my photo.

See you later.
Kiyoshi