A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Days 1159 - 1165 Sunday, May 22, 2011 - Saturday, May 28, 2011


Days 1159 - 1165
Sunday, May 22, 2011 - Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 1159 ( One Love Festival Day 2 )
(Earthquake #12)
Sunday May 22, 2011


Felt a small earthquake this morning and again my phone alarmed 1 second late.

Went to day 2 of the Jamaica One Love festival in Tokyo. But rain started falling while I was going there. I met up with a former student of mine from when I was teaching at an academy in Jamaica. I actually met him at this very place last year. He got married to a Japanese 2 yrs ago I think.

The event was going on well, until the rain suddenly came down really heavy. 3 persons then came up under my umbrella, including a young lady with a baby in her hand.

I eventually got some Jerk Chicken then, me and my former student, along with his wife and 2 other friends then exited the area. We spent about 2-3 hours in Burger King, eating and chatting about all manner of things.










~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1160
Monday, May 23, 2011

I was rushing to catch the bus for my school today, while eating a Japanese rice ball thing. I caught the bus just on time, as in as soon as I sat, the bus door closed and drove off. I decided to take the challenge again to walk home, and I did. I found the correct route this time, and shouldn't be getting lost again Richard....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1161 ( What a Class!!! / PTA Meeting )
Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I had my worst class today. In all my 3 years and 2 months of teaching in Japan, I have never had a class like this. Surprisingly, this is a GRADE 2 class. The teacher is soft, has a very quiet voice and cannot handle this class of 30 children at all. It is not our jobs to discipline the children, but sometimes I found myself shouting. Normally when I ask the children to stand up, they would simply stand and wait for my instructions. But this class!!! I ask them to stand up, then they just go nuts and run all over the place, roll on the ground, skip, dive, skate, walk, you name it and they are doing it. Plus they are not silent, they are loud....

There is this one girl who is the supposedly leader of them all. She was wearing a jeans with a big weed (marijuana ) sign on it and reggae colours. She leads the procession in calling me Obama, then the others follow. I had to just make them run around touching the colours on the blackboard then fight them to remove, do it again like 20 more times, and that was my English lesson.

In the evening, I had a short meeting with a group of PTA people. There is a group within the PTA known as the ( English Supporters ). I don't really know their real purpose but I heard from other English teachers that:

1) They sometimes come in our classes to "to help" us teach.

2) They can sometimes be a real pain in the A$$

I also heard that these people are unfortunately the behind the scenes rulers of the school.

All I did at the meeting though was introduce myself, listen to them introduce themselves, then I went home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1162 ( Chasing Kids )
Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I walked to work and back again, just to prove to myself that I know where I am going. I have to go to this school 4 times this week. But I get to save some money and don't have to rush to get the bus or train.

The grades 1 and 2 kids at my schools keep running after me and drawing me in different directions. Sometimes I have to run away from them, but they like this of course. Even while walking home sometimes, they will run after me. At work this is fine, but while going home!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1163 ( Company Meeting # 2 )
Thursday, May 26, 2011

I was so tired after work today. So much so that while heading for a meeting in Sakuragicho, Yokohama, I was sleeping on the train. It was while going to the meeting, one of my Jamaican friends told me about the English supporter people. He said they caused him some trouble, where he had to write a report to our company. He said the incident also caused him to be at odds with the principal of that school.

At the meeting, we were divided into groups. There were about 10 persons in my group and the group leader asked for a volunteer to give a brief presentation on the lesson plans we developed for our homework from the last meeting. I volunteered and they all seemed to like my plan and presentation. We now have another homework to do next week. This one has to do with the aim/objectives of our lesson...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1164 ( Welcome/Good bye Dinner )
Friday, May 27, 2011

After work, I went to the main part of Yokohama again name Sakuragicho. My school today was having a welcome / leaving dinner, for both the new none-teaching staff and for some who already left. The dinner was held at a famous hotel in Yokohama name "The intercontinental Hotel", which is shaped like a half moon. On almost any picture of Yokohama, you can find this hotel. The dinner cost 6200 yen but it was all you can eat, all you can drink for about 3 hours.
After the dinner, I walked back in the rain, with 3 new none classroom teachers. The school nurse, the music teacher and the nutritionist who is in charge of preparing the school lunch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1165 ( Jailbreaking my iphone FAIL!!! )
Saturday, May 28, 2011

I stayed in all day today trying to jailbreak my iphone. This is supposed to be simple, but for some strange reason, the jailbreak software are not working on my phone.

If anyone reading this knows whats up, I am using an iphone 3G with firmware 4.2.1. I tried using redsnow, snowbreeze and greenpoison to jailbreak it, but none work. I am sure I have followed the instructions well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



@Richard - It's actually a wooden sword, not sure if customs will have a problem wid dat. Yeah mi start a enjoy one piece.

No comments: