A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Japanese Women Need Husbands / Gathering With New Friends

Days 1166 - 1172

Sunday, May 29, 2011 - Saturday, June 4, 2011


Day 1166 { IKEA in the rain}
Sunday, May 29, 2011


Today I went to a Swiss Home department store that is famous in Japan known as IKEA. There were quite a few foreigners in there. A very big restaurant is also located inside of the store. Before going there though along with a friend of mine, a typhoon was expected today in Japan. It wasn't such a big threat though, just heavy rain. I still managed to go there with my friend despite the rain. I thought that because the area was in Yokohoma city, it would be near to where I live... Oh no. It is probably an hour or more away. Wasn't expecting this at all.

To get to the store after getting to a certain point we had to walk for about 7 mins then wait on a bus from the Home store. They have a bus coming every 15 mins. When we got to the store, I purchased some sort of drawer looking thing to put under my bed. We also ate there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1167 { Yokohama Port Opening Skit }
Monday, May 30, 2011

At work today in the morning, a couple of the teachers did a replay of the Yokohama port opening event, which took place 152 years ago in 1859. The skit was interesting as I didn't expect some of these teachers to be good actors. But they were and I understood the play even though it was 98% Japanese.

The opening of the Yokohama port basically took place when a guy from the US name Matthew Perry went to Japan with a fleet of war ships and basically demanded the Japanese to open their ports to foreign trade. Before this, Japan had little or nothing to do with the outside world. This is why some Japanese are still in the dark and a bit shy when it comes on to foreigners. This Thursday, June 2 will mark the 152nd anniversary of the opening. So Yokohama city will actually have an holiday this Thursday, so no work for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1168 { Sports Day / Whale for Lunch :O / Sun Dog}
Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Went to work today, but it was sports day. While going into the school, there were persons giving out visitor name card stuff at the entrance. I didn't notice them until after I went inside and turned around, then saw the persons at the entrance staring at me with the visitor name thingy in their hands. I am not a visitor so I continued on my way. I watched the sports day events which was quite interesting. More interesting than the ones back in Okayama. They made me participate in an event where a big group of us had to throw some round objects in a net attached to a tall pole. My team tied with the opposing team where we both got 32 of the round objects in the net.

Before lunch time, they warned me that they were going to have whale for lunch. I decided that I would try it any way. I have never had whale for school lunch in Okayama. It was ok though, not something I would eat everyday like chicken, but it was ok. It tasted like a cross between fish and beef.

In the sky there was this phenomenon known as a Sun Dog. Its where a circular rainbow can be seen around the sun. It looks rather amazing. Actually today, there were 2 rings of rainbows around the sun. It looked majestic.

After sports day, I went to another home store, this time nearby me, to buy 2 container box looking things, a pillow and some ground cushion like stuff in preperation for some friends coming over this Saturday.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1169 { Happy Birthday Sandy / English supporter }

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy Birthday to my elder sister who still believes that she is 25. I also still think I am 25 for some reason, but my body certainly doesn't feel like it. I called my sister for her birthday today after I got in from work.

Today I had my first class with an English supporter. The persons who my friend told me cause more trouble than actually help. I decided I will give the person the benefit of the doubt. The lady came up to me with one of the grade 6 teachers and we planned a set of lessons for maybe 2 minutes. The English supporter lady is actually 70 years old and she is a former English teacher. So she speaks pretty good English. She wasn't too much of an obstacle but I do prefer when it is only me and the teacher in the class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1170 { Yokohama Port Opening Day / Ladies seek husbands }
Thursday, June 2, 2011

So today was the Yokohama Port opening day thing that I was speaking about earlier. So all the schools in Yokohama was on holiday today. So I stayed in for the day and watched a BBC documentary called "Inside the human body". It was interesting. It was recommended by my friend Patrice in Jamaica. You can see it on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDDdvynU4A


Husbands needed


In the aftermath of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, some people scrambled to stock up on emergency supplies. Others flocked to buy energy-saving devices as power outages loomed.
News photo
Eyes on the prize: A woman looks at wedding rings at the Shinjuku Takashimaya department store in April.
Amid the heightened sense of insecurity, a growing number of women also had their minds set on finding something else — a marriage partner.
This eagerness to get married, they say, comes after many are reassessing their lifestyles and rediscovering the importance of family in these trying times.
Since the twin disasters, which also triggered the nation's worst nuclear crisis, matchmaking agencies have reported a surge in female membership and the number of marriages arranged. Retailers are also noting brisk sales of engagement rings and wedding bands.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20110602f2.html


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1171 { Earthquake #13/Japanese Prime minster to quit }
Friday, June 3, 2011

Today there was a 6.3 magnitude earthquake in the sea, somewhere near where the big one occurred in March. We didn't feel this one. I told the vice principal and then shortly after this we felt a 4.3 magnitude one at work. The epicentre was further up north on land, but we felt it for about 3 seconds.

After work, I bought some stuff at the 100 yen shop for a gathering of new friends which will take place at my apartment tomorrow.


Prime minister to quit


Yet another Japanese prime minister is going to quit. This is the 4th one quitting since I got here in 2008. Both persons from within his party as well as the opposition party are pressuring him. But the Japanese public is wondering why there is so much fighting in politics now when there are more important things to look after, like the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster victims.


Kan offers exit, beats no-confidence vote

Chief's key DPJ foes Ozawa, Hatoyama holster their threat, for now



Prime Minister Naoto Kan survived a no-confidence motion Thursday after suddenly announcing his intention to resign once disaster-hit Tohoku is back on its feet and the crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 power plant is safely under control.
News photo
Heaven help me: Prime Minister Naoto Kan, who expressed his intention to resign Thursday, listens to a speech by Tadamori Oshima, vice president of the Liberal Democratic Party, before a vote on a no-confidence motion the same day at a Lower House plenary session.
Kan's abrupt announcement barely prevented the ruling Democratic Party of Japan from falling apart, as dozens of members close to DPJ heavyweight and Kan rival Ichiro Ozawa refused to vote against Kan.
Kan survived easily by a vote of 293 to 152 in the 480-seat chamber, which included 15 DPJ and 15 opposition abstentions.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20110603a1.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1172 { Gathering of New Friends }
Saturday, June 4, 2011

I stayed in today in order to finish cleaning and re-organizing my apartment to accommodate some new friends. I slept for a bit then when I woke up, I took a train 3 stops away to go meet my friends in kamio oka. We then went to a restaurant where we ate, drank, chatted and have a good time. It was fun.


We then left that restaurant and went to my apartment. Again we drank and chatted and had more fun. I also introduced them to my book and my dub poems.
















Today some ALTS and others from Okayama were pounced upon by cops for playing loud music. Of course some random Japanese person called the cops. My friend told me that first a few about 3 cops turned up, then they called for backup with guns lol.. Here is a video of it... Not sure if you will see it but its worth a shot. They weren't arrested though, just taken in for questioning.


http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150218366056937

1 comment:

Naomi said...

I often went to IKEA in Funabashi, chiba. There were a lot of cheap and nice stuffs so I loved to go there. I miss IKEA lol.