A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, June 13, 2011

Days 1173 - 1179 Sunday, June 5, 2011 - Saturday, June 11, 2011


Days 1173 - 1179 Sunday, June 5, 2011 - Saturday, June 11, 2011


Day 1173 { Takers / Paris Syndrome}
Sunday, June 5, 2011

Takers
I can't help but notice that I have been slowly watching less movies and playing less games for the past year or so. But today I decided to stay in all day and I ended up watching a 2010 movie called "Takers". It had a couple famous American actors as well as rap and R&B singers in it. I was expecting the movie to really suck but I give it a 5.5/10 for the action. The plot twists weren't so bad either, but the acting was somewhat horrible.

Paris Syndrome

I found this 2006 article quite interesting, about a situation known as Paris syndrome which affects a couple Japanese tourist per year. The article says :

A dozen or so Japanese tourists a year have to be repatriated from the French capital, after falling prey to what's become known as "Paris syndrome".

That is what some polite Japanese tourists suffer when they discover that Parisians can be rude or the city does not meet their expectations.

The experience can apparently be too stressful for some and they suffer a psychiatric breakdown.

Around a million Japanese travel to France every year.

Shocking reality

Many of the visitors come with a deeply romantic vision of Paris - the cobbled streets, as seen in the film Amelie, the beauty of French women or the high culture and art at the Louvre.

The reality can come as a shock.

An encounter with a rude taxi driver, or a Parisian waiter who shouts at customers who cannot speak fluent French, might be laughed off by those from other Western cultures.

But for the Japanese - used to a more polite and helpful society in which voices are rarely raised in anger - the experience of their dream city turning into a nightmare can simply be too much.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6197921.stm

There is even a wikipedia link about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1174 { Free Games from PSN }
Monday, June 6, 2011

Playstation is offering some free games as a part of their "welcome back" program after the playstation network was hacked. They are offering 2 of 5 games for the PS3 and 2 of 4 for the PSP.

The Free PS3 games are:

Infamous, Dead nation, Little big planet, Super star dust and wipe out.

The Free PSP games are:

Killzone Liberation, Little big planet, mod nation racers and Pursuit force

I can already download any game I want for my PSP so I don't need any of the PSP games. However, after playing some demos and watching some youtube videos of the free games being offered, I ended up downloading Infamous and Dead nation fro the PS3.
I then did Bible study with dome friends online from Niimi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1175 { Observation Day }
Tuesday, June 7, 2011


I got observed today by the Yokohama Board of Education and by a representative from my company. I taught a 4th grade class about fruits, and this group was quite energetic. Overall it went well but I made a few blunders, showing that my English is slowly deteriorating.

First blunder - I was saying "what fruits do you like" instead of "What fruit do you like" ... But I realize that I am picking up the Japanese accent when they fruitsu instead of fruit..

Second blunder - I was saying "I like orange" instead of "I like oranges" ... I have no excuse for this one, because I didn't even realize that I was saying this.

Blunder number 3 - I asked the Japanese Home room teacher to help me demonstrate how to play a game. This now I was told in a training session that it was ok

However, outside of these blunders, they both said my lesson was lively and that they thoroughly enjoyed it.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1176 { Another English Supporter }
Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I met another English supporter today. This lady happened to be a Baptist pastor that belongs to the general Baptist group that I am a part of known as the Baptist World Alliance ( BWA ). I know her church will probably only speak Japanese but I am still planning to visit there this coming Sunday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1177 { Pet Salon / Drop 7}
Thursday, June 9, 2011

Started playing two games for the iphone recently. These games I guarantee will waste your time. They are good to burn time while on the train though. One of them is known as Pretty Pet Salon, the other is known as Drop 7.

Felt another small earthquake today for about 2 seconds.




















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1178 { Goodbye/ Welcome Dinner #2 }
Friday, June 10, 2011

Went to another goodbye/welcome dinner with my main school. It was held at the same hotel like the last one. At the intercontinental hotel in Sakuragicho, Yokohama. The teachers who left last year, all had to do a small speech and they all got a goodbye present. The new teachers (7 of us, including the principal) also had to give a brief self introduction as well as do a Haiku (which is a form of 3 line style of Japanese poetry, having five, seven then five syllables respectively). I did a very simple one.




ko . n . ba . n . ha (5 syllables... meaning Good evening)

wa . ta . shi . ha, de . i . vu (7 syllables - meaning my name is Dave)

ka . ra . te, su . ki (
5 syllables - I like Karate )

Even though it was the nutritionist (who is also new to the school) that told me that I should prepare a haiku, at the dinner, the persons doing the nights programme, forgot to call my name to go up. So while the others were walking up, I stopped and asked the vice principal if I was supposed to go up as well, to which he nodded yes with a smile.

At the dinner, a hair somehow found its way in my 10,000 yen plate of food. I alerted one of the waiters who apologized and reported it to his boss, who came and also apologized and served me another plate. I was a bit upset by it, and even started wondering if someone deliberately did it, since it happened to no one else, except the loan foreigner in the room.

Anyway, the group of us (about 45 in all) exited the hotel and the group splitted with most males going to drink alcohol while most females went to a starbucks rip off restaurant to have coffee. Myself and the maintenance guy, went with the mostly female group, because I wasn't prepared to spend another 1000 yen or more on alcohol or anything else for that matter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1179 { More Cracked.com / Charging Battery with boiling water }
Saturday, June 11, 2011

I am not proud of saying this, but I spent about 5 hours on my computer today reading random stuff on cracked.com. Like:


7 super powered animal senses you wont believe are possible

http://www.cracked.com/article_18837_7-superpowered-animal-senses-you-wont-believe-are-possible.html?wa_user1=3&wa_user2=Science&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

8 actors you won't believed voice famous cartoon characters

http://www.cracked.com/article_19239_8-actors-you-wont-believe-voiced-famous-cartoon-characters.html


Boiling water charges cell phone

A pot that can be used to charge cellphones by boiling water in it will go on sale as disaster equipment later this month.


The Hatsuden-nabe (power-generating pot) made by venture company TES NewEnergy Corp. has the appearance of an ordinary household utensil but can directly convert heat waste into electricity using a thermoelectric module.

Since the device can charge cellphones and other devices using open flames from firewood, charcoal, gas and other sources, it can be useful as a backup charger for natural disasters or other emergencies, the company, based in Ikeda, Osaka Prefecture, said.



http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20110611b1.html


@Naomi, yeah they have a huge variety of stuff at IKEA

No comments: