A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Days 1236 - 1242 Sunday, August 7, 2011 - Saturday, August 13, 2011



Days 1236 - 1242
Sunday, August 7, 2011 - Saturday, August 13, 2011



Day 1236 ( Murderous Heat in Japan )
Sunday, August 7, 2011

Went to church in the morning, then visited the plaza in Niimi briefly.


If you think Jamaica is hot.... check out what is going on in Japan... Actually Japanese and Jamaicans alike mistakenly assume that Jamaica is hotter than Japan. But anyone who visited both countries know the real truth.. check this out:

Temperatures exceeded 35 degrees C / 95 degrees F in many regions Thursday, prompting the Meteorological Agency to issue a severe heat alert to 29 prefectures.


As of 5 p.m., three people had died and 14 others were in serious condition due to heatstroke. A total of 729 people were rushed to hospitals in all prefectures except Okinawa.

In Chiba Prefecture, an 86-year-old man in Inzai, apparently a farmer, died of heatstroke after collapsing inside a plastic greenhouse in the morning, local police said, while in Nagareyama, a 61-year-old factory worker succumbed to the heat. A 48-year-old man also died of heatstroke in Kanagawa Prefecture.


http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20110812a2.html

===========================

===========================

Day 1237 ( My picture on a poster )
Monday, August 8, 2011

My watch battery suddenly died, so I got a new battery at the Plaza in Niimi. I had this watch since 2007. However, the guy who fixed my watch showed me something about it that I didn't know all these years.

I also went to the supermarket where I saw a poster with me on it. It was a poster advertising the yearly September 11 concert. I performed poems for the concert last year and the year before.

===========================

===========================

Day 1238 ( Back at Karate )
Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Had lunch at a relatively new Italian restaurant in Niimi. This was my 3rd time going there. The owner lived in Tokyo for about 10 years.

Later in the evening, I went to karate (first time in 4 months). I of course surprised everyone with my visit.





































===========================

===========================
Day 1239 ( Presentation About Yokohama )
Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Did a presentation about my life in Yokohama, at the public university in Niimi. Only a few people came but it still went well I think.















I then went to dinner with my former land lord. The owner of the restaurant I went to, told me that he had an operation recently and had to stop working for 2 months. But he is fine now.

















===========================

===========================

Day 1240 ( A Visit to Okayama City )
Thursday, August 11, 2011

Went to Okayama city, walked around a bit in the scorching heat, headed for a Jamaican store but the owner wasn't there. So I headed back to Niimi, didn't want to stay too long in the city.


When I got back to Niimi my host mom picked me up and we went to a store to have this thing known a kakigoori... its pretty much shaved ice with syrup and condensed milk.























In the evening, I had dinner with a friend of mine, who introduced me to some others.















===========================

===========================
Day 1241 ( Video Shoot )
Friday, August 12, 2011

I told the camera man for the TV show I have in Niimi ( Which is still going on even though I am not there ) that while I am in Niimi for the week, we could do a video shoot about my life in Yokohama. He liked the idea so I created a script last week and they edited it to their liking. So we did that video shoot today at the Public University in Niimi. It took about 1 hour.































In the evening, I had dinner with my former barber and some other friends. An ALT managed to come along as well.
















After the dinner, I made a 15 minutes stop at the darts bar and surprised them there as well. I really miss Niimi. :( ... The people in Yokohama generally aren't like this in the least. Niimi is almost like one big happy family. Just don't get into any trouble or everyone will find out.
















I then went back to my host Mom's house and started packing, because I have to wake up at about 4 am.


===========================

===========================

Day 1242 ( Back to Yokohama )
Saturday, August 13, 2011

Woke up at around 4:10 am and my host mom dropped me to the Niimi station. I caught the 4:58 am train. I was the only one in it at that time coming from Niimi, a part from the train driver. After going through the 13 - 14 hours journey, which flew by really quickly, I got to Yokohama at 6:42 pm. I had dinner then headed back to my apartment. It was indeed a wonderful week in Niimi. I wanted to meet the new ALT that replaced me, but she was busy. summers are normally busy for ALTS.

1 comment:

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

Dave...how can a 13-14hr train ride fly by quickly?? You weren't alone?