A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Friday, December 30, 2011

Last week of Work for 2011


Days 1369 - 1375 ---
Sunday, December 18, 2011 - Saturday, December 24, 2011


Day 1369 ( Where is Jamaica ??? )
Sunday, December 18, 2011

Went to church and performed 2 of my dub poems. One was called "Christmas time" that had some Japanese in it. I wrote it 3 years ago in my first year living in Japan. I also did another one called "Christmas is a good time"...

After church they had a single men gathering at the pastor's house, which is actually upstairs from the church. About 7 of us went. Me, 3 guys from the Philippines, 1 from Nigeria, 1 from Australia and 1 guy from India. We spoke about several things and it was then I realized that after almost 9 months of going to this church, the pastor's wife who is also a pastor, hardly knew who I was.

I was speaking about Jamaica for a bit. Then she suddenly said, "where in Nigeria are you from ?" So the pastor and I was trying to explain to her that "no" I am from Jamaica not Nigeria. Then she proceeded "Where in Africa is Jamaica?" Then we again had to explain to her that Jamaica was closer to America than to Africa. When we thought she finally got it, she said "Oh that means you are from America!!!!" ... After about 5 mins of explaining she got it then apologized. I told her that its fine because similar things to that happen to me very often while being here. Asians living in Asia, almost always think that if you are black, then you are from Africa. No where else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1370 ( Kim Jong-il Dead )
Monday, December 19, 2011

I got this strange citrus fruit from a teacher at my main school today. Looks like a very small orange. It is called kingu kongu and has a very strong sweet sourish taste.

I wanted to go to karate today after work but felt lazy. I especially wanted to go because my friend who I introduced to karate last year, is now one belt above me since my 9 months holiday from karate...To continue this in Yokohama is too much hassle though.

Kim Jong-il Dead 

This is very late news but the ruler of North Korea, Kim Jong-il is dead. So Japan as well as South Korea are a bit tense.


Kim Jong-il, the second-generation North Korean dictator who defied global condemnation to build nuclear weapons while his people starved, has died at the age of 69, Yonhap News reported.
The South Korean military has been put on emergency alert with their communist neighbour now set to follow Kim Jong-il's son Kim Jong-un, believed to be 27.


The news of the death of  "Dear Leader" was delivered by a weeping announcer in a broadcast at noon local time, Yonhap reported, citing North Korea's official media.
The official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said the leader ''passed away from a great mental and physical strain'' at 8.30am on Saturday (1030 AEDT Saturday), while on a train for one of his ''field guidance'' tours.
Kim is believed to have suffered a stroke in August 2008 and may have also had pancreatic cancer, according to South Korean news reports.  KCNA said Kim died of a ''severe myocardial infarction along with a heart attack''. It said an autopsy was performed on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/kim-jongil-dead-20111219-1p1sk.html#ixzz1i5HCD1cC



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1371 ( Wine shop )
Tuesday, December 20, 2011

After work today I went to a wine shop and a bread shop. Both restaurants are owned by relatives. But I can't take the bread into the wine shop and eat it there for some strange reason.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1372 (Evening Student's New Car)
Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My evening student bought a Toyota Crown. He really wanted this car it seem, but it has quite a few faults. He said that the gearbox area had a small fire yesterday. The reason was because it has too many electric stuff going on inside it. colourful lights, a camera to see in front and behind, plus 2 GPS Navigation things inside. So he need to increase the electric power etc.

That is one problem. The car is also insanely low with a huge muffler and huge rims, which make it difficult to turn properly. This also means that he has to turn the car diagonally to go up any slope. And this prefecture is full of slopes.

Anyway, I went there to teach this guy, but he said he didn't get any chance to do his home work. Plus he is not in the mood for any real lesson. He just wants to eat and talk. So he basically drove me around Yokohama area a bit and showed me some bad areas. Then we went to a restaurant, chatted and ate. That was my job, and I got paid for it. He then dropped me home. However where I live is also rigged with slopes. His car got stuck a bit and his muffler scraped the road several times while he was returning.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1373 ( Bon Enkai/End of year Party / Last Day of Work for 2011 )
Thursday, December 22, 2011

Left work today at about 12 noon. Today was the last work day for me for 2011. I should be heading for Kyoto starting from tonight then to the southern most part of Japan called Okinawa on Saturday.


Okinawa is a set of small islands that were actually an independent nation until 1872 when it was annexed by Japan. But was officially incorporated as a part of Japan in 1879. The islands were actually owned by China also.







Anyway, I went to the end of year party for my main school today. I had to walk with a small suitcase because of me travelling as soon as the party is over. About 40 or more teachers and admin staff were in attendance and it was pretty decent. But it cost like US $130 or 10,000 yen. Too expensive I think. After that, me and a few of the teachers went to another Japanese style bar. We stayed for about 30 mins then I had to rush to catch the night bus and head out to Kyoto.

I slept on the bus quite well, because I was a bit tipsy.


















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1374 (  )
Friday, December 23, 2011

Stayed in Kyoto for the entire day, further preparing for me trip to Okinawa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1375 ( Heading to Okinawa islands)
Saturday, December 24, 2011

Woke up at about 5:30 am today and headed to Osaka in the blistering cold. I had on gloves but they hardly made a difference. I took a bus and 4 trains to the Kansai Airport in Osaka. Then got on my flight for Okinawa which took 2hrs and 30 mins to Okinawa.

When we landed, I went to a rent-a-car place and got a small car to rent for the 4 days that I will be here. I then drove to a castle initially but it started to rain so I headed back to my first hotel of the trip, name Miyako hotel in Naha, the capital of Okinawa.


The picture below is a view of the hotel. This hotel  was marvelous.

After unpacking at the hotel, I went to a restaurant on a road called "International street" which is like the city center of Okinawa. There had lots of restaurants and random shops of all kind.

This entire 4 days/3 nights trip cost like US $490 / 38,000 yen but it included a 2 way trip to Okinawa, a rent-a-car and 3 hotels with break fast.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



@Richard... It is exactly what it sound like... If rain fall, they can't get to jog in the rain, but I should go in the rain to go and teach. However, if there is good whether, they can jog, but I can stay home...

1 comment:

Jamaipanese said...

wah gwaan mi African bredren? :D

All the best for 2012 bro!