A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Sunday, January 15, 2012

1st Week of Work For 2012

Days 1390 - 1396
Sunday, January 8, 2012 - Saturday, January 14, 2012


Day 1390 ( Top 5 Regrets people have before Death)
Sunday, January 8, 2012

Stayed in today and did some studying and played games.


Nurse reveals the top 5 regrets people make on their deathbed


I found this interesting article and decided to add it.


For many years I worked in palliative care. My patients were those who had gone home to die. Some incredibly special times were shared. I was with them for the last three to twelve weeks of their lives. People grow a lot when they are faced with their own mortality.



When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.


2. I wish I didn’t work so hard.


3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my [true] feelings.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.


5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

http://www.empowernetwork.com/Caroline/nurse-reveals-the-top-5-regrets-people-make-on-their-deathbed/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1391 ( Over 30,000 Suicides for 14th Consecutive Year )
Monday, January 9, 2012

Today made a 4 consecutive day combo of not going anywhere so it was realllly boring. I never even knew it was a public holiday until last night. All I did today was played games and studied a bit. I finally ended the campaign part of Modern Warfare 3. But I'm still in Modern Warfare 2 mode. I want to get to the highest level in the multi-player section.


























Suicides top 30,000 for 14th straight year

2011 figure lowest since annual tally hit mark in 1998



2011 appears to be the 14th straight year for the annual suicide count to exceed 30,000, according to tentative statistics recently released by the National Police Agency.



The latest 2011 figure — 30,513 — however, was the lowest number since the annual suicide count topped the 30,000 mark in 1998, declining from 31,690 in 2010. Males accounted for 20,867 of the 2011 suicides, or 68 percent, the data show.
By prefecture, Tokyo had the most suicides, at 3,100, followed by Osaka with 1,899 and Kanagawa with 1,824.
An NPA official said a further statistical breakdown, including ages, occupations and other details of the victims, will be released sometime later this year.
"Although the total number declined, it is still a very serious situation to have over 30,000 people a year committing suicide," Yasuyuki Shimizu, director of the Tokyo-based nonprofit suicide prevention group Lifelink, told The Japan Times Wednesday.
The statistics show declines in annual suicide counts in Miyagi, Iwate and Fukushima prefectures, which were devastated in the March 11 disasters. But Shimizu said optimism about the results may be short-lived, because suicides tend to increase in devastated areas after a year or so, as was the case in the wake of the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995.


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120112a2.html


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1392 ( Twitter Really Popular in Japan )
Tuesday, January 10, 2012

First day of work for 2012 and I actually looked forward to it in order to break my 4 day boredom streak. I had only 3 classes today then the principal sent me home.


Twitter is huge in Japan — bigger than Facebook, actually


I have a twitter account but I hardly ever use it really. However it seem as if it is a big thing in Japan. I didn't even know this.


Twitter is getting to be kind of a big deal globally, at least among marketers and the digerati.
But in Japan, the microblogging service already trumps Facebook in traffic.
According to stats from comScore, Japan sends around 25 million monthly unique visitors to Twitter. Facebook, on the other hand, sees around 15 million monthly unique visitors from Japan.
Still, until recently, neither site has been as big in the region as Mixi, Japan’s homegrown and highly popular social network. While we don’t have data for monthly uniques, Mixi had around 27 million users as of April 2010.
Depending on how much Mixi has grown since then, it’s entirely possible that Twitter could now be the country’s largest social network.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1393 ( Final Car Payment/ 10 Months After and Persons Still Missing )
Wednesday, January 11, 2012

After work I did my final payment for my car in Jamaica today. I took a 4 year loan for my car and its finally done. The loan was 700,000 Jamaican dollars / about 8200 US dollar / 630,000 yen.
After this, I went back home and took a 2 hour nap.






Police hunt for missing 10 months on


Police carried out an intensive search for people still missing in the March 11 disasters in Miyagi Prefecture on Wednesday, 10 months after the massive quake and tsunami wreaked havoc on Pacific coastal areas of the Tohoku region.

The death toll reached 15,844 in 12 prefectures as of Tuesday, including 9,506 in Miyagi, 4,667 in Iwate and 1,605 in Fukushima prefectures, with 3,450 people remaining unaccounted for, including 1,861 in Miyagi and 1,368 in Iwate, National Police Agency data show.
Wednesday's search was focused on the coastline of Kesennuma, one of the hardest-hit areas in the region, where bodies and belongings of victims may have been washed ashore. No new bodies have been found in Miyagi since Dec. 13, according to police.
"It has become difficult to find bodies 10 months after the disaster, but we hope to continue our search efforts," a police officer in charge said.


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120112a8.html


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1394 ( Japanese Visa Renewal #2 )
Thursday, January 12, 2012

I got a card in the post yesterday saying that my visa is now ready. So I went there today to collect it. To my surprise they gave me a 3 year extension instead of a 1 year extension. In Japan we can only get a 1 year extension or a 3 year extension. When we apply we don't know which one they are going to give us. I thought that because I am now in Yokohama with so many foreigners, they would only give me a 1 year extension. However I don't think I am going to stay for the full 3 years. Jamaica is calling me back home. So I think I will be heading back in about next year (2013) December or possibly sooner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1395
Friday, January 13, 2012

They did me a great injustice today at work. I had 2 early classes from 8:40 am-10:10 am then nothing until 2:15pm. So after lunch time I was falling asleep at my desk. The person that is in charge of doing the school lunch noticed and offered me some green tea which kept me awake until my final class started.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1396
Saturday, January 14, 2012

Met a friend of mine today in Yokohama and we spoke for a while. We then went to Shibuya in Tokyo and ate at a restaurant and chatted for a while again about various stuff.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Yea Richard that is one reason why the prime ministers change so often. I think another reason is because most Japanese take a while to make major decisions. And if they do make a decision too many people start complaining so they run away from the job. Also they are probably waiting on a miracle to make their economy grow again. If the prime minister in charge can't make the economy grow, then people start complain again and the prime minister run weh again.

2 comments:

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

Dave - there's no benefit in playing MW2, reaching the 10th Prestige not going to give you anything additional and your skills not going to increase cause yuh nuh good already.

Just start MW3 and get used to the new setup quickly...work on going 10th Prestige in that. Here's a guide to help - 10th Prestige Guide

Is pure hacking on MW2 also so why waste ur time??

You should use your twitter account to say when you site is updated. You should really use it to keep ur fans connected.

Loco said...

I had no idea there were THAT many suicides in Japan each year...not surprised, just unaware. You've got an interesting style, thanks for inviting me! I'll be back!
Loco