A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Free Space

There was an error in this gadget

Flag Counter

free counters

Translate / 翻訳する

Monday, February 27, 2012

Best Japanese Foods / Nanjing Massacre Denial

Days 1432 - 1438
Sunday, February 19 - Saturday, February 25, 2012


Day 1432 ( My Favourite Japanese Foods )
Sunday, February 19, 2012

Nothing special today.

After living in Japan for almost 4 years, these are the foods that I would consider the best. Only 7 of them.

Number 7 - Kakigori (Shaved Ice with syrup and milk)

This is simply shaved ice with syrup, condensed milk and a little water if desired. But it is delicious. Sweet but good. It is chiefly eaten in the summer in Japan and reminds me of something we have in Jamaica called sky juice. But in Jamaica there is no condensed milk in it.


Number 6 - Ebi Fry (Fried Shrimp) 

Yes normal fried shrimp. I never had this outside of Japan and I like it. Probably more on the unhealthy side but we can indulge in some fatty foods every now and then.





Number 5 - Kari Raisu (Curry and Rice) 

This is not Indian curry like what we have in Jamaica. It's Japanese curry. Actually I do prefer the Jamaican style Indian curry but hey, this is Japan and it is a good substitute. This is normally done with potatoes and carrots.






Number 4 - Ebi Pirafu (Shrimp mix up mix up)

Again Shrimp made the list. This is shrimp mixed with rice and some other stuff. Normally green beans and mushroom and some other stuff. Another great food in Japan.


Number 3 - Niku Jaga ( Beef, potatoes, carrots etc )

This is beef mixed with potatoes, onions, carrots and some other food that I have no clue what they are. It normally has a sweetish taste but soooo good.

















Number 2 - Yaki Niku (Literally Translated as cooked/grilled beef/meat)

This was actually originated in Korea but now an almost irremovable part of Japanese culture.You are given a piece of beef or chicken or whatever meat you desire, and you prepare it over a stove that is built in the table.



Number 1 - Yaki tori ( Literally translated cooked/grilled Chicken )

Initially, yaki niku was my favourite until I had some really good yaki tori. Back when I was living in Niimi, Okayama, there was one main shop  that specialized in this. You had to pre-book this place weeks in advance. Sometimes you might get lucky if you just go there randomly. I don't care where this is, I'm going to find it and buy it. Luckily a few places around Yokohama sell this delicious treat.



There you have it, the best foods in Japan. anything else is just normal or down right terrible. I am trying to understand how people like sushi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1433 ( Start  Jogging / Flight Booked )
Monday, February 20, 2012 [ 3 Years 11 Months ]

Start Jogging

I should have a football match this Thursday. The final match of the competition for this school year and I am unfit to the 5th power. So I decided to start jogging today. I did it in the night because I can't deal with the stares. Even then, the few people that see me jogging are still staring. I jogged down the mountain twice then back up twice. I felt like I was going to die. My heart was pumping so hard. The worst thing is that I only jogged for like 12 minutes.

My aunt who is a nurse that lives in Atlanta, eventually called me and said she was heading for the gym. So I told her that I just finished jogging after not exercising for a very long time. She said that was dangerous for my body and might shock my heart. So she recommended that I walked first then eventually start to jog.

Flight Booked

I finally booked my flight after searching like crazy on the internet for cheap flights. I wanted to go to Bankok, Thailand for my spring vacation but the flights were to expensive for just a few days. So I booked a flight to Malaysia and I plan to make a trip to Singapore while there. I booked the flight on air asia and got a 4 day trip for US $330.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1434 ( Nanjing Massacre Denied)
Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I taught evening class to the teacher at one of my schools today. We spoke about travelling again. She made a cookie for other teachers in the school, and she also made one for me as well.

I then jogged for 22 minutes afterwards. This time I went up and down the mountain 3 times.





Nanjing Massacre Denial


Ok so apparently the world knows about the atrocities that Japan committed before world war 2. But it seem as if some Japanese are totally unaware of this. Or refuse to accept the fact that they did. A major thing they did was when they invaded a part of China and did some really messed up stuff there. The pictures of this are all over the internet. Many Chinese were killed and raped in this invasion attempt. Estimates outside of Japan go from 250,0000 - 400,000 deaths. But in Japan from 40,000 - 200,000. With some persons totally denying that this event ever happened. Like this idiot......


Nagoya Mayor Takashi Kawamura riled China on Monday by telling a visiting official he doubts the 1937 Nanjing Massacre ever happened.


The 63-year-old Nagoya mayor, whose father was in Nanjing when the war ended in 1945, told Liu Zhiwei, a member of the Chinese Communist Party's Nanjing City Standing Committee, that he believes only "conventional acts of combat" took place there, not the mass murder and rape attributed in history books to the Imperial Japanese Army.
"Why were people in Nanjing kind to Japanese soldiers only eight years after the incident?" Kawamura asked, referring to his father's memory of the event. "I could go to Nanjing and attend a debate on the history of the city, if necessary," he said.


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120221a3.html

Nagoya Mayor Takashi Kawamura refused to retract his contentious comments about the veracity of the 1937 Nanjing Massacre and said he is ready to visit the city to explain his views. "I don't have any intentions of retracting my comments or apologizing," Kawamura told reporters.


 
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120223a5.html


Then the Chinese hacked the website of a zoo in Nagoya, where the mayor that made the comment is from.

 The website of a city-run zoo in Nagoya was hacked to display messages demanding that Japan acknowledge the 1937 massacre of Chinese civilians in Nanjing, officials said.


The posted messages, which included kanji believed to show a Chinese personal name, followed Nagoya Mayor Takashi Kawamura's recent denial of the Nanjing Massacre.
The posting in Japanese included messages stating "The history is manipulated!" and "Please acknowledge the Nanjing Massacre!" displayed along with a full-body photo of a man, which appeared after clicking on Chinese characters shown on the top page of the website, city officials said.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120225a5.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1435 ( Lost Glove / No Interac Contract for Niimi 2012-2013 )
Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lost Glove

After work today, I put my tam/knitted cap on my head and left. Some students saw me and said I looked scary. Next time I will ask them if a Japanese man also look scary when wearing it.

I was messing with my phone in the train after work then forgot my brand new leather glove in the train. I had to call the station. Luckily they had it. If this was Jamaica....No comments.

I jogged for 15 minutes today after work. Only went up and down the mountain twice.

No Interac contract for Niimi 

I learnt about 3 weeks now that interac (the company I work for) lost the contract for Niimi, Okayama (the area I lived for 3 years). Seven English teachers will have to relocate to other areas now. Whether home or other parts in Japan. Niimi is really rural but its fun and the people there are friendly to foreigners. No wonder 12 foreigners live relatively close by each other. I don't know anywhere else where this kind of situation is. I live in Yokohama now, and I would be lucky if I saw a foreigner anywhere near my apartment.  


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1436 ( Final Company Meeting for 2011-2012 )
Thursday, February 23, 2012

Collected my glove at the station after work then went to a company meeting. The final meeting for the 2011-2012 school year. About 5 persons gave very good presentations about their experiences in Japan.
We took a group photo after the meeting. Sorry guys, if there are any objections to your photo being  on my blog, I will have it removed. No objections, it will stay there :)


I should have had the football match this evening but it got cancelled because of rain. I actually brought my umbrella to the meeting today and left with it, but somehow I lost it. I had 3 umbrellas at the end of September. Now..... Zero.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1437 ( Kidnapped in Jamaica )
Friday, February 24, 2012

Met up with my old friend from England, Peter. He was my partner for a presentation back when we just got here in 2008. Since then, we have tried to stay in contact. He lives wayyy down south in a prefecture called Saga, but before that he spent 2 years in Iwate, one of the prefectures that got really messed up by the March 11, 2011 earthquake.

He is now in Tokyo visiting, so I introduced him to my favourite Jamaican restaurant in Shibuya. I also introduced him to ackee. He told me that he lives in a shared apartment with a male and a female Japanese. He said the Japanese guy is a Jamaican enthusiast who loves EVERYTHING about Jamaica. So much so that he visited Jamaica once. But when he visited Jamaica, he and 4 other friends got kidnapped. Its the second time in Japan I am hearing about tourists getting kidnapped in Jamaica. He said the 5 of them got kidnapped for about 3 days, then they eventually just ran away from the kidnappers. It almost sounds unreal....

Afterwards we met up with one of Peter's other old friends who work for the same branch as me. But he lives in another area. He is from California. We went to starbucks where the 3 of us chatted for a while. To my surprise, I saw 3 of the foreigners who live in Niimi, walking in the crowd of people in Shibuya. I called one of them but they were already heading for a restaurant.

Peter should be heading back for England at the end of March after doing a tour of South east asia. His friend invited us to some sort of get together tomorrow, that he himself is uncertain of what exactly it is.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1438 ( Accidental Setting up Party / Accidental Goukon or Konpa )
Saturday, February 25, 2012

Met up with Peter, his friend from yesterday and another of his friends from England. 2 of them met me at the station in an area of Tokyo known as Ebisu. We then went to a restaurant where the American guy was waiting for us. When we got there, we were surprised by the amount of persons in the restaurant. More than 30 men and women. Eventually after 2 drinks, everyone just started chatting away and it was so much fun. Peter's friend from England then realized that this type of meeting is not your normal Japanese eating and drinking party. It is one of those things where people go to meet others with the hope of getting a second date. Basically a setting up/hooking up dinner party (Goukon / Konpa). People there were from all over Japan. I had no clue that this was what I was going to. Nor did I realize while I was there. But none of the foreigners cared we were just chatting away and having a good time.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Hey Patrice, when we use the cards we get points that we can use in the future to purchase other stuff. The points are like cash. Each time you buy, depending on the amount you spend, you get a certain amount of points. I think in Jamaica the magna card is similar, not sure.

No comments: