A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, June 4, 2012

Patois/Patwa (Jamaican Dialect) Translated to English and Japanese

Days 1530 - 1536
Sunday, May 27 - Saturday, June 2, 2012 


Day 1530 [ Patois/Patwa (Jamaican Dialect) Translated to English and Japanese ]
Sunday, May 27, 2012

Stayed in all day today, because I have not been getting enough rest recently.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

These are the Patois/Patwa/Jamaican dialect words I was planning to teach at the Jamaican festival last week. One should however note that new patois terms and words are coined very often. And different areas of Jamaica tend to use some words/terms more, while ignoring others.

The green is the Patois, the black is English and the red is the closest Japanese equivalent.

1) Waah gwaan? - What's up? - Genki desuka?



















2) Mi cool/mi kriss/mi deh yah - I'm good / I'm fine - Genki desu

3) Yuh alright? - Are you ok? - Daijyoubu desuka?

4)  Yeah man mi kriss - Yes I am fine - Daijyoubu desu 

5) Rispek - Thank you - Arigatou Gozaimasu 

6) Likkle more - See you later - mata ne/sayonara

7) Yuh nuh easy - You are an interesting person - yaru ne / iketeru
    ( Difficult to translate)

8) It shot / it tun up (fairly recent) - It's great/It's fun/It's amazing - yabai / sugoi / tanoshii   

9) It mad/it bad/it wicked - see above - yabai / sugoi / tanoshii 

10) Blow wow !!/ blouse and skirt !! / rawtid / breadfruit / brown dawg / kiss mi neck / bombaat / 
      backside!! 


      (Mostly used as an expression of surprise, but can be used to add impact to something) -
      (There are many variations of these, and they are quite difficult to explain)

     Wow!! /really!! / Oh My God!!/ Seriously!!

     Majika yo !! / maji de !!    

eg. If one got injured while playing a football match, one might shout one of these words. Or if they heard some shocking news about something, or if they saw something unusual.
These are the softer terms, there are some much harsher ones that I would rather not discuss here.






11) Mi naah guh nuh weh - I am not going anywhere - doko ni mo ikanai / ikimasen  

12) Jah know star (Normally used in a distressing situation) - 
      I can't believe that happened / that's harsh - 
      Shinjirarenai 
     (this too is a little hard to explain, but these are the closest meanings I can think of)

13) A yah suh nice (fairly recent) - This place is great/It's great here - koko wa tanoshii desu 

14) A weh yuh a seh? - really?/Is that so? - honto?/ Maji? 

15) Unnu - All of you / you guys - anata tachi 

16) All a wi - All of us - watashi tachi 

17) Mi a guh a mi yard - I am going home - uchi ni kaerimasu 

18) Mi kyaah badda - I can't be bothered - mendokusai 

19) Mi nuh waah none - I don't want any/no thank you - nani mo idanai 

20) Nyam - Eat - Taberu 

21) Leggo mi had - Let go my hand - Hanashite / Hanase yo 
 ( 2 of my Japanese female friends who lived in Jamaica asked me to include this one. Because of  the
   Jamaican taxi men who have a tendency to hold on to anybody who looks like a potential passenger).

22) Yuh mad?/yuh lik yuh head?  - Are you crazy? / You must be kidding - Ikareteru / ikareten no

23)  Bap bap bap / Bup, bup, bup / bakum bakum / bookum bookum / la la la la !!
       (plus several other variations)
       (Usually said loudly, signifying a blank gun shot for when something exciting is happening or happened.)
       (But done especially when a very nice song plays)

       That's a great song / that's great/amazing!!  (not with a song situation)!  

       Fooooo / Poooo / pyuuu pyuuu (I have never heard this before)

     

















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1531  ( Usain Bolt doing Ads with Nissan )
Monday, May 28, 2012

My day was filled with grade 1s and 2s today, so I was extremely tired after work.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Usain Bolt doing Ads with Nissan 


“What if the world’s fastest man went even faster?” That’s the question Nissan poses in the newest series of its global brand campaign, “WHAT IF_”
On the left, multi-world-record-holder Usain Bolt – the 25-year-old Jamaican who ran 100 meters in the time it takes many of us to take two breaths, 9.58 seconds – readies himself in set position for a sprint.
On the right, a red hot Nissan GT-R reveals its own best time of zero-to-100 kilometers per hour in 2.8 seconds.
Through the “WHAT IF_” campaign, Nissan aims to highlight iconic products and technologies that invigorate consumers – and the global brand.
And teaming up with Bolt – owner of a black GT-R supercar since 2009 – puts any questions about high-level performance to rest.
The Olympian is in training for the Games in London this July, following shooting of the campaign in his hometown of Kingston, Jamaica.
“Drive a car like the GT-R and it gives you the chills,” says Bolt.
In Japan, Nissan unveiled the Bolt-GT-R series in concourses at Narita International Airport near Tokyo and Osaka’s Kansai International Airport.
The multi-year “WHAT IF_” campaign, soon to reach international airports in all major cities, is intended to boost Nissan’s brand power, a key pillar of the company’s mid-term plan through 2016.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/nissan-launches-global-brand-campaign-with-worlds-fastest-man?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2012-06-03_PM


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1532 ( R.I.P Jerome )
Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Learnt through facebook today that a friend of mine died. I was really sad even though I met this guy only on one occasion in The Bahamas back in 2009. We attended a Caribbean Baptist youth event in the Bahamas, and he was from Guyana. He was a very jovial and friendly guy and seemed like all was well with him. We kept in touch via facebook at least once a month or so. I was shocked to know that he was so stressed, that he decided to end his life through poisoning :'(    Rest In Peace bro, you will be missed.




It was at the event where I met him, I performed this poem


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1533 (  )
Wednesday, May 30, 2012

At my evening class today, I spoke mainly about the Jamaica One love Festival and the eclipse last week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1534 ( Lowest Pay Month )
Thursday, May 31, 2012

I got my lowest pay ever today while working in Japan. But I braced myself for it. I got less than half of my salary because of the spring vacation from March 24 - April 13. This is the major downside of mandatory vacations and of working for my company as an English teacher.  Its times like these YMCA and private students come in handy.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1535 ( Happy Feet 2 / Nicki Minaj in Japan, but Some Trouble)
Friday, June 1, 2012

Happy Birthday Sandy !!!

Felt exhausted at work today even though I did't have a very early class. After work I watching Happy Feet 2 and was falling asleep. I slept a bit then watched it again. It wasn't so bad but definitely not so good either. Part 1 was much better to me. I give this a 5/10.



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nicki Minaj in Japan, but Some Trouble

I totally forgot that Nicki Minaj was in Japan. If I remembered, Maybe I would have gone to her concert, because she was in YOKOHAMA!!! But anyway, some guys are being arrested for killing some Irish chick. The police assumes that the guys are a part of Nicki Minaj's group.  Here is the news.



Rapper Nicki Minaj has denied claims one of her dancers was involved in the slaying of a young Irish woman whose corpse was found in a hotel room after attending the rapper's concert in Tokyo.

Tokyo police arrested two Americans, 23-year-old dancer James Blackston and a musician, 19, as part of their investigation into the death of Nicola Furlong, a 21-year-old exchange student. The police have not revealed the musician's name because he is a minor.




U.S.-based celebrity gossip blog perezhilton.com identified Blackston as a "backup dancer" for Minaj. But the rapper, whose "Pink Friday" album enjoyed huge commercial success, denied any connection to the two men.
"We do NOT know the men in custody," she posted on her Twitter account Thursday. "My dancers had nothing to do w/this tragedy. No one in my entourage was questioned or arrested. They all flew home from Japan."


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120602a7.html



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1536 ( Surprise Extra Class )
Saturday, June 2, 2012

Went to the YMCA today and I was told that today is the last day for the adult conversation. It should have been last week. I took it on however because in this month of low pay, I would probably beg them for classes. This one was given to me suddenly. Luckily I had no plans until later in the night.

The class with the 2 and 3 year olds again was a challenge. This time even a greater challenge because no teacher was there to help me. I was all alone with the kids and a parent who wants to stop her son from crying. For the most part I made them kick a ball around the class room.

1 comment:

_ThatOneAndrew_ said...

;l;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;