A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, August 13, 2012

2012 London Olympic FEVER !!! (Japan Summer 2012 Part 2)

Days 1600 - 1606
Sunday, August 5 - Saturday, August 11, 2012  
  












Day 1600 ( Nagashi Soumen??/ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Gold 100M Women)
Sunday, August 5, 2012

Went to my old church back in Niimi. The pastor's wife was hinting for me to play the drum but I ignored her. Ask me to play the drum, don't bang on it then call my name!!! Be more direct.... What the heck, that ain't gonna happen in this culture.... I wasn't in the mood to play anyway.

After church we ate lots of food. Then we did this thing that I was seeing for the second time I can remember. It's called nagashi soumen. Some bamboos are placed together, then water is ran down the bamboos, followed by thin noodles. Everyone should try to catch the noodles with chop sticks then dip it in soy sauce like a soup. It was great.

Here is a video of it:






After church I met 2 of my Niimi friends in a restaurant that I haven't been to in a year name JOYFUL. Then I went to visit the darts bar where I once played darts between 2010-2011.

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

I know this is old news but I still have to post about our GOLDS in this years Olympics. Today/Yesterday Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce won Gold in the 100M Females. We also got a bronze medal from Veronica Campbell-Brown.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1601 ( Happy 50th Anniversary Jamaica / Gold For Usain Bolt 100M Men's Finals )
Monday, August 6, 2012

Got a hair cut from my former barber today who actually drove for about 45 mins just to come and give me a hair cut. I really miss these kind people. This is unimaginable in Yokohama.

My Niimi/Tojo Barber

After that, I visited the Board of Education to look for some other Niimi friends. No way I could do this in Yokohama.

Now president of the Niimi Board of Education
He appeared frequently in my Niimi TV shows

In the evening my host mom had a send off party for my friend Melissa who is going back to the US. The party was also a "Welcome back to Niimi" Party for me.


My host mom baked a cake. Don't look so right but tasted great 

My host mom Jenny and my friend Melissa

Persons at the hello/goodbye party

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

Happy 50th Anniversary Jamaica!!! 

It was 50 years ago (1962) we won our independence from England. And look where the Olympics is being held now?? London.

A few are of the opinion that Jamaica was better under colonial rule because there was not much crime. But on the flip side, we have achieved quite a bit being a poor nation after our independence. Reggae has developed and gone across the globe. And of course our sprinters are second to none. We are still somewhat under the rule of England though, being a common wealth nation. Hey even Canada, Australia and New Zealand are still common wealth. So if a country should attempt to take over Jamaica, England would come to our aid.

However, our now prime minister wants us to go republic and do everything on our own. I'm unsure of the side effects that will follow.



--------------------------------

--------------------------------



Gold For Usain Bolt Silver For Yohan Blake 100M Men's Finals 

Fitting for our 50th anniversary of independence.... Usain Bolt won the 100 M Males race at the London's 2012 Olympic.Well you know about it already, and probably have seen these photos already also. But hey, I'm still happy for us.










~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1602 ( Karate After a Year ) 

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Stayed in most of today then went to karate briefly. Didn't get to practice much, but got to meet some old karate friends.

They would both mess me up

She can kick my arsk


He really did kick me

After 1 hour of karate, I met one of my best friends in Niimi and we had dinner. After that I went back to pack for my 14-15 hours trip starting early tomorrow morning.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1603 ( See You Later Niimi )
Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Woke up at 5:30 am this morning. Then my host mom dropped me to the Niimi station to catch a train at 6:08am. If I missed this train, I would have to wait for about 2 hours to get the next one. We were running a bit close but I managed to catch the train with about 3 mins to spare.

These were all the stations I had to stop at for my 15 hour trip:
1 hr 30 mins from Niimi to Okayama city
1 hour 30 mins - From Okayama city to Himeji
2 hr 30 mins from Himeji to Kyoto

I stopped here at Himeji to collect my portable charger so I missed a train and had to wait a bit to get another one.
45 mins from Kyoto to Maibara
1 hr from Maibara to Ogaki
2 hrs from Ogaki to Toyohashi
1 hr 15 mins from Toyohashi to Hamamatsu
2hrs 30 mins from Hamamatsu to Atami
1 hr from Atami to Ofuna
7 mins from Ofuna to Shin sugita
7 mins (by foot) from Shin sugita to sugita
5 mins from sugita to Keikyu Tomioka my final stop

I missed about 3 trains. and I got back to my apartment at about 9pm. This was of course an extremely tiring trip.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1604 ( Got My Jamaica/Bolt T-Shirts / Bolt, Blake, Weir 1-2-3 )
Thursday, August 9, 2012

Stayed in for most of the day today, but had my evening student at 7:30 pm this evening.

Received my first stock of stuff today and I have a couple of orders already. These are what I have for sale:






--------------------------------

--------------------------------


Bolt, Blake, Weir 1-2-3

I was quite elated today when I learnt we got first, second and third place in the 200M Men's final at the Olympics. I was especially happy for Warren Weir who I actually know personally. This being his very first Olympics and he managed to get a medal among the greats. This guy was actually my next door neighbour in the community where I grew up in Waterford, Portmore. He also attended summer camps back in the days where I was in charge of all the sporting events for the camp. His mom is also a very good friend of mine.


video

If the above video of the London 200M Men's final get taken down, then you know the I.O.C got wind of my blog.

Here is a pic of Warren back in 2004 when I was the Sports chief for the camp.



14 year old Warren at the right
Warren on the right... 8 years later 





Four years ago Warren Weir was at home watching Usain Bolt race to a 100- and 200-meter Olympic double in Beijing but he sat beside him Thursday having just helped deliver a Jamaican clean sweep in the longer distance at the London Games.

“I came out here with the goal of getting the 1-2-3 for Jamaica. I’m very overwhelmed to know that I played my part in history,” the 22-year-old told reporters after winning a bronze medal behind Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake.
Still with the looks and physique of a teenager in comparison to the refined figure of 25-year-old Bolt and the muscled physique of Blake, also 22, Weir stands out from his more famous countrymen on all accounts.
Bolt’s victory Thursday secured an amazing Olympic double-double and made him the sport’s greatest ever athlete. Blake is both a contender and likely successor to Bolt, and already world champion in the 100 meters.

“Coach Glen Mills is like a father to me. He said, ‘I’m going to turn you into a sprinter that the world will see and recognize’ and I’ve got to say thank you very much,” said Weir, who was born in Trelawny, the same parish as Bolt.
That process started with the skinny youngster making the switch from hurdles to the 200m, and with a medal at his first Olympic Games courtesy of a personal best on the world’s biggest stage, it is a gamble that has paid off.


Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Sports/Olympics/2012/Aug-11/184227-weir-takes-giant-leap-from-couch-to-podium.ashx#ixzz23ReDclxs
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb) 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1605 ( Good Job Loco )

Friday, August 10, 2012

Can you believe it? I had to go in to the YMCA today for a summer gig. It was only about 50 mins of teaching then eating lunch, so it wasn't so bad. I was also allowed to teach whatever the heck I wanted to. So I did self introduction and a drawing game.

When I got back home, I ordered an Apple TV. I will explain what it is later.


--------------------------------

--------------------------------



New memoir on racism by New Yorker living in Japan reaches #1 on Amazon



The guy whose blog I read sometimes, and whose book I bought "Hi my name is Loco, and I am racist" is probably going to become a millionaire soon. His book has become a best seller on amazon and is getting more and more popular. You can read about it here :


Here’s a book unlike any other written on the subject of racism by a self-identified racist. The author, Baye McNeil, is an African American living in Japan for the past decade. His sensational new memoir titled “Hi! My Name is Loco and I am a Racist,” has caught the attention of readers worldwide, and on the strength of dazzling reviews on Amazon and Goodreads, extensive social networking, word of “mouse” and, surprisingly without any major press coverage in Japan to date, has catapulted to the top slot in travel books on both Japan and Asia on Amazon.
This book, published auspiciously on Martin Luther King’s birthday, is being dubbed by readers, “one of the most honest, passionate, engaging and best written books about life in modern Japan for non-Japanese of any race,” and has garnered rave reviews from readers on 5 continents. It’s also #11 in Black History books and #37 in books on sociology and race relations in the U.S.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/arts-culture/view/new-memoir-on-racism-by-new-yorker-living-in-japan-reaches-1-on-amazon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day1606 ( Apple TV / Japan's Territorial Disputes )
Saturday, August 11, 2012

Received my APPLE TV today. Here is what it is, and the review from CNET.


The good: The Apple TV lets you stream all of the movies and TV shows available in the iTunes Store to your HDTV on a rental or purchase basis, with purchases stored in the cloud. Netflix, MLB.TV, Hulu Plus, and a handful of other online media services are available, plus music, videos, and photos can be streamed from iOS devices using AirPlay. AirPlay Mirroring lets you stream any Web video to the Apple TV, including free Hulu, if you have a newer Mac running Mountain Lion. And Apple TV's user interface remains best-in-class.
The bad: The Apple TV is a less useful box if you don't own other Apple devices. Roku's competing boxes are less expensive and offer more streaming services, including Amazon Instant, HBO Go, and Pandora. And the Apple TV doesn't work with non-HDMI TVs.
The bottom line: Those who've already invested in iTunes content and Apple hardware will find the Apple TV to be an indispensable living-room companion, and it's an excellent streaming-video box for non-Apple folks as well.


http://reviews.cnet.com/apple-tv-review

In the evening I went out  in Shibuya with 2 of my friends. And again I came back in the following morning.

Di fry yai tuggs
--------------------------------


--------------------------------


Japan's Territorial Disputes

Japan has territorial disputes with China, Taiwan, Russia and South Korea. And the other countries all seem to know that Japan isn't really doing much about it except talk and condemn. That's it. Recently the president of South Korea visited one of the disputed isles, which caused the Japanese government to get really upset. These isles are administrated by South Korea but claimed by Japan.

I live in Japan now, but I personally believe that these isles belong to South Korea. Why? Japan once controlled Korea for about 30 years, which means that Japan is the more powerful of the 2. If this is so, how is it that South Korea owns the land? Did they sneak up and take it away from a stronger Japan???  With the Russian dispute, the lands were clearly owned by Japan but Russia stole them after world war 2. These isles now are another case, they were always there.


Isle row with Seoul adds to Tokyo's foreign policy woes



South Korean President Lee Myung Bak's unprecedented visit to a small group of disputed islands situated between his country and Japan is exacerbating Tokyo's diplomatic woes amid growing territorial challenges from China and Russia.


Lee visited the islands, known as Dokdo in South Korea and Takeshima in Japan, on Friday, defying Japanese calls for restraint.
Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, who is busy dealing with domestic affairs, was totally powerless to head off Lee's visit, which some have called a blatant attempt to bolster sovereignty claims and others have called a bid to save face after canceling the secretive signing of a controversial military pact with Japan.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120813a2.html

Then recently South Korea won Japan in the Mens Football, and this stupid Korean dude held up a message about South Korea owning the land. He is currently being punished for his stupid action.


Korean soccer player kept off medal stand for political antics


Look everybody, I hate Japanese and I am an Idiot

A South Korean soccer player who held up a sign with a political message after the team's victory over Japan did not get a bronze Sunday when the Olympic medals were handed out in a ceremony to the rest of his team.


Midfielder Park Jong Woo is under investigation by the IOC and soccer's governing body, FIFA, for displaying the sign Friday with a slogan supporting South Korean sovereignty over Korean-controlled islets that are claimed by both his country and Japan. The largely uninhabited islets are called Dokdo by South Korea and Takeshima by the Japanese.
The IOC and FIFA have statutes that prohibit political statements by athletes and players. Olympic officials had asked the South Korean Olympic Committee to take action against Park and that he not be present at the ceremony.
When the men's soccer medals were presented at Wembley Stadium following Mexico's 2-1 win over Brazil in the gold-medal match, only 17 of the 18 South Korean players were on the field for the ceremony. Park was not among them.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120813a1.html


--------------------------------

--------------------------------


Thanks for your comment Rising Sun. Niimi is a very small town. But there are about 11 foreigners living in that very small area. Pretty much all the foreigners know each other. But people move and others replace them ever so often. 

No comments: