A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Best Movies Of All Time ..... To Me Part 1 / Usain Bolt in Yokohama

Days 1663 - 1669
Sunday, October 7 - Saturday, October 13, 2012    


Day 1663 ( Dexter Season 7 ///  980 yen Flights!!! )
Sunday, October 7, 2012

Stayed in most of the day. Watched my favorite TV show series, Dexter today, the 7th season. I have been watching this series since 2007, even though each season lasts for about 3 months (12 weeks) starting around the end of September or early October and ending in December. And as always, it was interesting and intriguing.   




Here is Season 7's trailer 



In the evening, I went to meet my friend in Shibuya, Tokyo. We were randomly pounced upon by some TV Camera persons who wanted to give us a brief interview about our lives in Japan as foreigners. So I should be on TV again on December 7, on a programme called Sekai Banzuke. 

Japanese paparazzi at work

-------------------------------

AirAsia Japan to sell ¥980 special tickets for Narita-Seoul flights


Budget airline AirAsia Japan Co. said Wednesday it will sell one-way tickets for ¥980 for 4,000 seats on flights linking Narita and Incheon near Seoul in a special campaign to mark the Oct. 28 start of its first international service.

The promotional tickets linking Narita International Airport and South Korea's Incheon Airport will be applied to both ways with no fuel surcharges imposed. The tickets are available on the carrier's website from Wednesday through Oct. 17, said the Tokyo-based airline, which is partly owned by All Nippon Airways Co.
Regular one-way ticket prices for the flight, on which the carrier will operate one daily round-trip, are set between ¥6,980 and ¥29,980, it said.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1664 ( The Best Movies Of All Time ..... To Me Part 1)
Monday, October 8, 2012

Today was a Japanese holiday to mark the beginning of Autumn. Went to a festival and also to a futsol (indoor football) match. 

-------------------------------

I hope someday in my life, I get to appear in a major film. The chances are probably very slim but I can still hope can't I?

I randomly decided to blog about movies because it was on my list of things to blog about. I guess persons, depending on their particular leaning, may prefer one movie over another. I am a Sci fi / action guy. I also enjoy a good love story once in a while. However Titanic did not make my list, even though it is the second highest grossing film of all time. 

Anyway, here is the first part of the best movies ever made............ in my opinion. I will put them in random order.


The Matrix (1999) <Not re-loaded (pt2) nor revolutions (pt 3)... Just The Matrix, part 1 >

This was the first film that blew me away. And I still get goose pimples every time I watch it. This movie 
re-defined film forever.

Are you the One?
IMDB (International Movie Database) gave it a 8.7/10


-------------------------------

Inception (2010)

If you haven't seen this movie yet, and you are into scifi / action stuff, then stop what you are doing now and go buy, rent or even download this film. I watched this movie in Japan back in summer 2010 with a teacher friend of mine while I was living in Okayama.  http://davecollyjap.blogspot.jp/2010/07/days-851-857-sunday-july-18-saturday.html

Is it a dream? Or is it reality?

IMDB gave it a 8.8 / 10


-------------------------------

Avatar (2009)

There is a reason why this movie is the highest grossing film ever made. It was really great. Unfortunately I didn't get to watch it in 3D, but the graphics and almost everything about this film was so good. It was released in December 2009 but I watched it in January of 2010. I want to watch it again in 3D. Haven't gotten the chance yet. I still have some bad memories about it though, but that's a long story. http://davecollyjap.blogspot.jp/2010/01/days-669-675-sunday-saturday-january-17.html

Its wild out there

IMDB gave it a 8/10


-------------------------------

Star Trek (2009)

Another scifi / action film that had me on the edge of my seat at a theater in Japan. I am starting to wonder if I watch more movies in Japan than in Jamaica??? I was never a fan of the old star trek movies in anyway. But my ex-girlfriend at the time, wanted to see this film, so I compromised. It was a good choice. This star trek combined futuristic stuff and real world, now a days elements which was a wonderful idea.  

The universe is a dangerous place
IMDB also gave this one a 8/10


-------------------------------


The Patriot (2000)

I know this movie is about American history and stuff, that may not be as interesting to non-Americans. But I have to give it some credit, it was pretty decent. The Patriot to date is one of the few movies that made me shed a tear. 

Explains some of the harsh realities of American history

IMDB gave it a 6.9 / 10 ...


All these movies that I mentioned, made me feel as if I was actually in the film itself. I will continue my list next week. Stay tuned. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1665 ( America Will Defend Japan's Claim on Senkaku Islands )
Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Started my autumn exercise regime today. I don't know how long I will keep this up but I'm going to do my best. Even 10 push ups seem difficult now-a-days. This just ain't right. Had only 2 classes today then went back home because of preparation for sports day. 

-------------------------------

CIA: Japan's Senkaku claim the strongest

Report in 1970s concluded China has no basis for territorial bid


Chinese ships encroaching in the sea of Japan

A report compiled by the CIA on the sovereignty of the Senkaku Islands around the time China started to formally claim them as its own concluded that Japan's sovereignty case was by far the stronger and more convincing.
"The Japanese claim to sovereignty over the Senkakus is strong, and the burden of proof of ownership would seem to fall on the Chinese," said the intelligence report, which was drafted in May 1971 and was included in declassified documents from the National Security Archive of George Washington University.
In related documents, the CIA stated that any dispute between Japan, China and Taiwan over the islands would not have arisen had it not been for the discovery of potential oil reserves on the nearby continental shelf in the late 1960s.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1666 ( Skin Cells Can Become Eggs !!! )
Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The principal at my school today told me that Usain Bolt was in Yokohama. I knew he was coming here so I wrote it down in my diary to try and catch a glimpse of him. He will be at the Nissan Headquarters tomorrow. 

Had my evening student after work today. We spoke a bit about Jamaica and how we are from many different parts of the world, but chiefly western Africa. Which explains our motto "Out of many one people". 

-------------------------------


Scientists turn skin cells into eggs


An adult mouse produced from an egg cell developed from a skin cell,
and her litter of babies conceived naturally.


Scientists at Kyoto University have turned mouse skin cells into eggs that produced baby mice — a technique that if successfully applied to humans could someday allow women to stop worrying about the ticking of their biological clocks and perhaps even help couples create "designer babies."
For technical as well as ethical reasons, nobody expects that doctors will be making eggs from women's skin cells any time soon. But some see possibilities and questions about its use.
Some experts say it could help millions of women who don't have working eggs of their own, whether because of a medical condition or cancer treatment, or because they are too old.
"It could mean the reproductive clock doesn't tick for women anymore," said Hank Greely, a Stanford University law professor who studies the implications of biomedical technologies.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1667 ( Usain Bolt In Yokohama )

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Today was my "We don't like English" school. And I had my worst class of all, where there is a combination of English haters. One kid, the one who I would regard as the worst in the lot, started talking to another student at the back of the class while I was teaching. And he was talking quite loud. I heard him say to the other kid "Do you know what F&#K you means"... and he proceeded to tell him the meaning in Japanese... And he kept saying "F&#K you" to the other student and also said something to the effect of "Omai wa gaijen desuF&#K you" .... Which pretty much means, you are a foreigner, I don't need to listen to you so F&#K you. He wasn't directing it at me, but he was saying it loud enough to the kid at the back and everyone could hear. The Japanese teacher was there just acting as if nothing was wrong.

So I stopped the class in my rage and shouted at the kid "Hey!, DO NOT SAY THAT IN MY CLASS"... He was turning his head still not looking at me.. so I said "LOOK AT ME BOY!!!" in Japanese and he turned around then apologized. Everyone was shocked at my anger, including the teacher.  

-------------------------------

After this I headed to the head quarters of Nissan with my co-worker to go and see Usain Bolt for the first time. He signed a deal with Nissan where he is now the "Director of Excitement" whatever that is. All I know is that he will be making more money than he is already making now. He was there for 1 hour. At first they asked him some questions about some stuff then he went away for about 15 mins. He then came back, threw out some balls, and whoever caught one, would get some prizes like sneakers, t-shirts etc. I shouted some Jamaican dialect in the crowd to get his attention. I did manage to get his attention but there were too many persons in front of me trying to catch the ball.




Here is a video I took....










Afterwards I had dinner with my co-worker above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1668 ( Got A New Bicycle / Low Cost Flights Getting Popular )

Friday, October 12, 2012

Did only 4 classes at my main school today, then 1 class at YMCA. Before I went to the YMCA, I received a bicycle that I ordered last week. Was going to head to Shibuya after work today but I stayed in and put my bicycle together. Took me about 1 hour.



My New Bicycle, Made in China

-------------------------------

Era of low-cost flying finally generating lift


Japanese have a reputation for loving expensive things like overpriced real estate, gourmet melons and, among the many, French and Italian luxury brands. But the nation is finally discovering the joy of flying cheap, with the arrival this year of three low-cost carriers.

The takeoff of AirAsia Japan, Peach Aviation and Jetstar Japan could change lifestyles. No longer will air travel be mostly confined to business trips and fancy once-in-a-lifetime vacations to places such as Hawaii.
Flying is suddenly growing more casual, including for weekend dining, visits with friends, even day trips. Ticket prices are plunging by about half, to ¥16,000 trips to the island of Okinawa or a ¥5,000 hop to Seoul.
The airlines are not only out to woo Japanese away from regular leisure activities such as going to Disneyland or watching a movie. They are also out to convince the notoriously workaholic Japanese not to work so hard.




Day 1669 ( Sports Day 2012 )

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Rode my bicycle to my main school's sports day today. It feels great speeding down the mountain but going up is a little problem. Even though its a "Mountain Bike" I never knew so many persons would be in attendance at the sports day. It was like a huge festival or concert. 




After the sports day, I had dinner with the teachers. 

No comments: