A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

10 Things To Watch Out For (Beware Of) In Japan (Part 1)


Days 1684 - 1690
Sunday, October 28 - Saturday, November 3, 2012    



Day 1684 ( Mi Heart Jus a beat boom boom  )

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Visited a Baptist church in Yokohama this morning. One of my Jamaican female friends go to this church and she invited me today.

In the night I went for the second time to perform at a poetry thing called "Evening Musings". This is organized by a group of poets that call themselves "Writer's Block" and is held the last Sunday of every month. I performed there in June this year as well. It is held in Harajuku, Tokyo at a Jamaican restaurant called Jamrock..... Possibly the only Jamaican owned, Jamaican restaurant in Tokyo or maybe even the entire Kanto area (Tokyo, Yokohama, Saitama, Chiba, Shizuoka, Gunma, Yamanashi ).


I performed 2 "love poems" from my book and one dub poem that I wrote about 2 months ago. My first "love dub poem". Here was the performance :




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1685 ( 10 Things To Beware Of In Japan )

Monday, October 29, 2012

Rode to work this morning and back. The mornings are however getting a bit chilly so I don't know for how long I will be continuing this. But riding makes me warm so who knows.

---------------------------------

10 Things To Beware Of In Japan

Beware #
(1) Drunk Japanese Men

Drunk Salary Men - There is always one not too far away














Whether you decide to go to the drinking parties (nomikai) or not, you need to look out for drunk Japanese men. If you are a male and you go to these nomikai parties (Its not a party like how you may be thinking just dinner and drinks) with some other Japanese male friends, they may decide to do some crazy stuff. Possibly including, but by no means limited to:

i> annoyingly touch you all the time and constantly want to speak to you
ii> kiss you on the cheek
iii> Just come around you and do random annoying stuff

If you are a female, don't be surprised if some random dude decide to try and grope you.

On the other side, if its not at a nomikai, the drunk salary-men (just normal working Japanese men) may:

i> vomit on you or near you in the train
ii> lean on you constantly or sleep on your shoulder in the train

Beware #
(2) Gaijin (Foreigner) Bars

This is where the noise is at


















Most are not so bad overall but be sure that if you are looking for a quiet and/or peaceful time, a gaijin bar isn't the place to go. I mean, most foreigners in Japan are naturally loud so just imagine a gaijin bar. If you do like noise though (like me) then go by all means. Oh I almost forgot, and its possible for foreign males to pick up  random Japanese females that are seeking out foreign males. Especially if you are white, you probably don't even have to say a word.

A good friend of mine once said they are mostly 3 types of foreigners living in Japan:

i> The super nerdy, anime, game, manga freaks that came here just for... you guessed it anime, games and manga.

ii> Persons who are fed up with their jobs at home, have a bad family situation and/or live in a very dangerous country and just simply come to Japan to escape from their country.

iii> Persons who just want to experience a different culture and see what over this side of the world is like.

I would fall in number for the most part, as do most Jamaicans here. But I do like anime and games, and I did want to leave my last job in Jamaica. So I am a little of all of them. I have no family trouble or was I in a rush to leave my country. 

Anyway, you might run into persons or above in a gaijin bar and they are either extremely weird or extremely depressing. Oh yeah, many depressed foreigners are here also. 

Beware #
(3) The Japanese Police 

The Japanese Police - Duties also include racial profiling












I am one of the fortunate ones to have never been pounced upon by a Japanese police officer in the streets. But I have heard many stories. I was approached by one in the airport though about 3 years ago. The dude just came up and asked me for my papers, why I was in Japan, my I.D. and about the schools where I worked at (as if he knew them).

I mean there are some illegal immigrants here but to actively go around and antagonize people who don't look like Japanese, is taking it a bit too far. I am unsure of any other country that does this.

Beware #
(4) African dudes in Roppongi, Tokyo

African dudes in Roppongi - just walk away


















If you walk through some parts of Roppongi at certain times in the night, one may assume you are going to a club in the area. In these areas, there are tons of African dudes dragging you and annoying you to go into a club. Some of them will follow you for miles ... trying to convince you to go into a club. They remind me of the "loader men" in Jamaica that stay nearby the route taxi stands and antagonize people to go in a taxi.

(5) Jehovah's Witnesses (You better believe it they are here too !) 


Jehovah's Witnesses - No comprendo, no entiendo


















If one of your reasons to come to Japan, was to escape from the Jehovah's witnesses, then I have news for you. They are here too!!! And they operate exactly the same here, as in your country. They rang my door bell several times. Luckily I now learn that we should never just open our doors when we hear the door bell. Unless we are expecting a delivery. But even then we should still be careful, because we can never be too sure.... There is a phone thing in our apartments that we can answer. Answering in English is the best thing to do. What? They are equipped with English speakers too??? Yup they are...... So speaking another language outside of English and Japanese will help greatly. 

So all I do is tell them I am busy and don't have time to speak with them. Just like what I did back in Jamaica. I must say I respect this movement though.... They are very committed.... and they seem to operate the same everywhere. Even across cultural barriers...

-----------------------------------

Next week I will continue with the other 5. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1686 ( Paid Leave Not Being Used )

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Rode to work again. But to my nearest school which is no fun because of the mountains. But hey, I feel like my thighs are getting bigger and thicker...

-----------------------------------



Only 49.3% of paid leave in Japan is taken, ministry says




Only 49.3 percent of full-time paid leave in Japan was taken in 2011, far from the government-set target of 70 percent by 2020, a survey by the Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry showed Thursday.
Although the rate of taken paid leave, basically vacation days, climbed 1.2 percentage points from the previous year and has increased for the second consecutive year, the ministry said it wants to urge companies to ensure that their workers take more paid leave in order to raise the rate.
The rate of taken paid leave accounts for how much assigned paid leave an employee actually uses.


The survey targeted 6,128 companies with 30 or more employees, of which 71.1 percent gave valid responses. Reasons for why more than half of paid leave was not taken were not provided.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20121102b5.html



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1687 ( Flopped Halloween Party )

Wednesday, October 31, 2012


Wasted my time and money to go to a very small Halloween party at the nearest Japanese style Jamaican restaurant to me. I had to pay 1000 yen (US $12) just to enter then another 650 yen (US $8) for drinks. Only to see a bunch of Japanese guys dressed in stupid costumes. The bar tender's wife was the only non-male in sight. And it was boooring.... The person who invited me wasn't even there. Maybe later on it was fun but I didn't have that time to spare. A total waste of my time and money. The food wasn't too bad though.


Bar tender and part-time Nun

Bar tender's wife... Say Meow ..... Meow!!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1688 ( Aalawi Jamaican Restaurant ) 

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Visited a friend of mine in Ebisu, Tokyo today at another Japanese owned, Jamaican restaurant. The name of the restaurant is "Aalawi" ... All a wi meaning "all of us" ... This restaurant has the best tasting Jamaican style Jerk chicken and Jerk pork out of all the others that I have been to so far.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1689 ( They Love Me .... / Ipad Mini Arrives In Japan)

Friday, November 2, 2012

I was scheduled to have lunch with my 1st grade kids today at my main school. They did janken to see what group of kids I was supposed to sit with. One kid came to me and said "Dave sensei omoshiroi kara, mina daisuki" meaning "Dave is very interesting / funny (no not in the Jamaican sense) so all of them really like me." Even if I was sad any at all, it made me very happy. Even though teaching them is very tiring.

In the evening I took a high speed train (Bullet train shinkansen) down to Kyoto and stayed by my friend's place in order to attend an international festival tomorrow. Tomorrow is a Japanese public holiday so no YMCA Yeah!!!!

-----------------------------------


Rivalry heats up as iPad mini arrives




The Apple iPad mini, a smaller version of the popular iPad tablet computer, hit stores in Japan and other leading markets Friday as competition heats up ahead of the yearend shopping spree.
While cumulative global sales of tablet computers are expected to top 100 million units by year's end, Apple will try to solidify its dominant position in the burgeoning market with the iPad mini, with Kindle Fire by Amazon.com Inc., to be sold in Japan in December, and Nexus 7 by Google Inc. seen as its top rivals.
In the Japanese tablet market, Apple had a 57 percent share as of September, followed by Sony Corp.'s 10 percent, according to market research firm BCN Inc. The release of tablet computers carrying Microsoft Corp.'s recently launched Windows 8 operating software could further fuel competition.


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nb20121103a3.html



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1690 ( Kyoto International Festival )

Saturday, November 3, 2012


Left out with my friend to attend the Kyoto International Festival. Many countries had their food stuff for sale and several performances were displayed. There was even a flea market, where I purchased a few stuff.


Some bracelets, necklaces and ear ring stuff made from Jamaican blue mountain coffee were being sold there by my friend. They were made by special education children in Jamaica. Please support them if you can. If you want to know how, please send me a message.... The name of the company that works with them is called Chupse, which is operated in Jamaica by a Japanese volunteer worker.











Owner of Chupse - currently living in Jamaica


Chupse Accessory

No comments: