A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, December 3, 2012

Hitting Women (Yes / Absolutely No / Depends? )

Days 1712 - 1718
Sunday, November 25 - Saturday, December 1, 2012    



Day 1712 ( A Day At Kanazawa Zoo )
Sunday, November 25, 2012

For the past 3 weeks or so, I have been teaching a lesson about Yokohama at my main school. It's basically about some famous places in Yokohama in English. There are several zoos in Yokohama and I was inspired to visit one because of my lesson. I asked the kids which zoo they would recommend and most of them said Kanazawa zoo. So I decided to go there today.

Here are some pics.

My first time seeing an actual giraffe

All in front a di giraffe mi a swag


This is known as an okapi. It's like a cross between a zebra and a deer

This elephant was humongous
weighing 7000 kg / 15432 pounds

While at the zoo, I was trying to speak to my best friends in Jamaica via skype. I spoke to them a bit, but the signal was really bad so we decided to speak another time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1713 ( R.I.P. Big Brother :( / Hitting Women )
Monday, November 26, 2012

R.I.P. Big Brother :(

So my father's side of my family is extreeeeemly complicated. I don't know how many children he has or with how many women. He himself is a big mystery because he tells no one anything about his past escapades. He has 5 children with his wife and 3 "known" outside children. Myself "supposedly" being the last one. But no one knows for sure, because the 5 kids within his marriage found out about me when I was around 21. The only reason they found out was because my nephew was my classmate at university.

Anyway, I learnt today from my brother in Miami (he is 56) that my eldest brother who was living in Canada died from heart trouble. He was 60 and was going to be 61 next month. He died possibly having no idea that I existed. Rest In Peace Errol Collymore. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet you in this lifetime. :(

--------------------------


Hitting Women ( Yes / Absolutely No / Depends? )



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Another discussion came up in the Jamaicans in Japan group after some one shared the viral video below:



Many of you probably saw this video before so the point came up. Is it ever appropriate to hit a woman? Some people say yes, some say no, some say it depends. I don't agree with what the dude in the video above did, but I do believe in self defense. I think he was angry and took it a bit too far. But, most of my Jamaican colleagues agreed, that women should expect "ANYTHING" from a man, if they (the woman) decide to disgrace/humiliate a man in public. The most calm and simple gentleman, has the potential to get seriously pissed.

If anyone be it man or woman is coming to me with a knife or any sort of weapon with the intention to harm me, then I am going to defend myself. If a woman out of anger hit me in the face or in the head, I am going to get angry and I do not know what I will do. I do have a nasty temper at times. So basically I don't subscribe to the NEVER hit a woman policy, nor to the go ahead and hit a lady for little or nothing idea. I normally walk away though or try my best to avoid a situation getting out of hand.

Maybe you have seen the video below or not, of the girl in Singapore hitting the dude chiefly on his private areas.



LOL lets just say this wouldn't and couldn't happen to me. I don't care who she is.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1714 ( Mutabaruka On Faith And Religion / She was a Man?)
Tuesday, November 27, 2012

After work today I watched a 1 hour youtube video of a presentation being done by a famous Jamaican poet name Mutabaruka. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutabaruka

A lot of it was in Jamaican dialect so chances are if you watch it and you are not from the Caribbean, you will miss some of what he is saying. It was a very interesting video. I disagree with some of the stuff he said but many of his opinions makes you think.

Here is the video



--------------------------

What would you have done in this case?


Belgian discovers his wife used to be a man after 19 years





A Belgian is seeking to have his marriage annulled after discovering that his Indonesian wife of 19 years had been born a man.



The man, only named as Jan, married Monica, his family's former au pair in a previous marriage, in 1993 despite legal difficulties raised by theBelgian immigration authorities.
But it was only in recent weeks that he discovered that his wife had originally been a man and had undergone a sex change.
"I feel I've been assaulted," he told the Het Nieuwsblad newspaper.
"I brought her to Belgium. That was not easy. The Belgian courts had serious doubts about the authenticity of her birth and her identity papers, but eventually they accepted it anyway. I thought she was an attractive woman, all woman. She had no male traits."
Jan, 64, said that he and his wife had decided not to have children because he had two by his previous marriage and she fooled him by pretending to menstruate, using sanitary towels, "to conceal the truth".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/9703166/Belgian-discovers-his-wife-used-to-be-a-man-after-19-years.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1715 ( Smart Phones Killing Camera Sales )
Wednesday, November 28, 2012

After work, I had my private class at Starbucks this evening. We spoke mostly about my father's side of the family as well as Japanese politics.


--------------------------

I realized that I really stopped using my digital camera. I haven't touched it for months.



Smartphones killing camera sales

High-resolution, Net-connectable newcomers put point-and-shoot makers on defensive




The soaring popularity of smartphones is crushing demand for point-and-shoot cameras, a once-vibrant sector that is scrambling to stay alive with Web-friendly features and higher quality, analysts say.
A sharp drop in sales is marking digital compact cameras as the latest casualty of the smartphone boom, which is challenging video game consoles and portable music players with their all-in-one convenience, led by the likes of Apple's iPhone and Samsung's Galaxy.
Just as digital cameras all but destroyed the market for photographic film, the rapid shift to picture-taking smartphones has torn into a camera sector dominated by Canon Inc., Olympus Corp., Sony Corp. and Nikon Corp.
"We may be seeing the beginning of the collapse of the compact camera market," said Nobuo Kurahashi, analyst at Mizuho Investors Securities.
Figures from Japan's Camera and Imaging Products Association echo the analyst's grim prediction. Global shipments of Japanese digital cameras sank by about 42 percent to 7.58 million units in September compared with the previous year, with compact models falling 48 percent, the association said.








Higher-end cameras with detachable lenses fell a more modest 7.4 percent in that time, it said.
Part of the decline was due to the weakness in debt-hit Europe and a territorial dispute with China that has sparked a consumer boycott of Japanese products in the Chinese market.
But smartphones have proved a mighty rival to point-and-shoot cameras, analysts say, offering an all-in-one phone, computer and camera with comparatively high-quality pictures and Internet photo downloading.



http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nb20121127a2.html


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1716 ( Hard Rock )
Thursday, November 29, 2012

After work I had a company meeting. I was so tired that I fell asleep several times on the train to the meeting. After the meeting, a couple of us Jamaicans and an American girl ate at an American restaurant name Hard Rock.

Don't watch the smiles, they are all tired

Wow check that out.
The crew.. Hey I'm the only male :)
And I have a Hard Rock!!.... Bag




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1717 ( YMCA Swimming Lesson Part 2 )
Friday, November 30, 2012

Had 6 periods at my main school today again then collected my pay, paid some bills, bought some groceries then had to rush back to my apartment to get ready for YMCA class. I rushed to YMCA then my boss there told me that my students' parents will be visiting my class. I was not prepared but I came up with some ideas there on the spot. Simply wrote some random sentences on the board and told them to select the correct tenses. While they were doing this exercise, I was writing down a story.  I then read the story and asked them some questions from the story. I see where they are really improving, they made me and their mom's proud.

After the lesson, I basically gave a brief evaluation of my Friday students to their parents. They were all surprised at how developed their kid's English was.

I had to stay back a bit after the parents meeting to wait for my swimming lesson to begin. Then it was time. The head of the swimming department gave me a pair of goggles and a swimming cap as a present. Luckily the bunch of kids weren't there so I could change my clothes in peace.

I forgot a few swimming rules from the last lesson but I remembered them quickly. The swimming instructor then started to teach me using swimming flippers/swimfins. Normally I could only swim to about 7 meters but with the flippers I went as far as 15 meters. She was surprised how I caught on so quickly with these stuff. Hey, I was surprised too. After she realized that I mastered those, it was time for free style. This was a bit tough. I can't concentrate on my hand motions and the motion of my feet at the same time. I caught on a bit but not very well.

After the swimming lesson, I went home, packed then headed to Yokohama to take a bus to Kyoto.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1718 ( Another Trip To Kyoto )
Saturday, December 1, 2012

Happy Birthday Choco !!!

Took the night bus last night to Kyoto. Then stopped at my friend's apartment. We then went to a shrine called Kita no tenmangu.



All inna di shrine mi a swag


Had some tea and Japanese snacks there then went to a restaurant for lunch. Later we visited one of the most famous shrines in Japan. The name is kiyomizudera. It was extremely cold there and rain was falling a bit, but there were many people there. After this, we went to the most famous Jamaican bar in Kyoto, name rub-a-dub. Met 2 Economics professors there, one from Australia, the other a Japanese living in Singapore. We spoke at length about politics and economics stuff.




No comments: