A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Japan - A "Card" Culture / 7.3 Magnitude Earthquake

Days 1719 - 1725
Sunday, December 2 - Saturday, December 8, 2012    



Day 1719 ( Old And Swagging )
Sunday, December 2, 2012

Congratulations on your wedding Kevin!!! I called a good friend of mine from university this morning (December 1st in Jamaica) to wish him good luck with his wedding and marriage. Many of my other university friends were there as well, so I spoke to them a little.

Kevin Ruddock - Just married

I am still in Kyoto today. Went to a French restaurant with my friend in the afternoon. The waitress told us that there is a Jamaican bar around the area so we searched for a bit in the blistering cold, only to find out that the bar closed down :(



Afterwards we went to a liquor shop, where for the first time in 4 years, I see Jamaican rum in Japan.


Hey this rum isn't even popular in Jamaica.


This one is pretty popular though

I then went to the station and took a high-speed train back to Yokohama.


--------------------


Old And Swagging 

At 106, he's a fashion icon




A 106-year-old academic who has been recognized by Guinness World Records as the oldest person to have traveled around the world using public transportation has received an award for best dresser.
Saburo Shochi, professor emeritus at Fukuoka University of Education, received the honor at a ceremony for the 41st Best Dresser Awards held in Tokyo. "The key to fashion is to change your clothes every day," said Shochi, who showed up in a yellow suit.


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20121130b6.html


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1720 ( Japan - A "Card" Culture )
Monday, December 3, 2012

Went to work like normal then updated my blog.

--------------------

Japan a Card Culture

Japan has many many sub cultures that can keep foreigners and even other Japanese occupied with stuff to do. So I decided to start a blog series about "Japan - A -------------- Culture". Today is "Japan a card culture".

Almost every single shop, restaurant, mall, plaza or whatever it maybe in Japan, issues a card. If u visit their establishment often enough and use their cards, then you can get discounts.

This is a good system if you visit these places regularly enough. But the cards can be more like garbage if you  only visit these places once in a while. Check out my collection.

My goodness

Some of those cards are from my Niimi days. I still keep them because I return to Niimi, well once a year so far. Among that rubble are cards for: About 4 different pharmacies, some internet cafes, electronic shops, clothes stores, convenient stores, a movie theater company, supermarkets etc etc. This set doesn't include my hospital, dental and bank cards. I also have as much business cards from random people.

Why so many cards?



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1721 ( America Will Defend Japanese Controlled Islands )
Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Did absolutely nothing after work today, except read some random articles and watch Dexter.

--------------------


U.S. Senate passes Senkaku backing



The U.S. Senate on Thursday unanimously approved an amendment to the 2013 National Defense Authorization Act that is designed to counter attempts by China to challenge Japan's administration of the Senkaku Islands but sidesteps the question of who has ultimate sovereignty over the disputed territory.

The amendment, offered by Jim Webb, a Virginia Democrat, states U.S. opposition to any efforts to coerce, threaten to use force or use force to resolve territorial issues. It concludes by reaffirming the commitment of the U.S. to the defense of territories under the administration of Japan.


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20121201a6.html



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1722 ( Hard Disk Recorder / Collapsed Tunnel Kills)
Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Tomorrow I should be making a short TV appearance. But I won't be able to watch it because I have to teach a private student at the YMCA. So I read up about my TV on how to record a TV program while not being around. So I went to one of those popular Japanese electronic stores, this one name Yamada denki (I have a card for them too) and used my credit card to purchase a Hard disk recorder. It is in all Japanese. Not a word in English is written on it. I did manage to figure out how to use it though, mostly with the help of my friend.


--------------------

This is scary... I have driven through this tunnel at least once before. Yikes!!!


Tunnel collapse kills four 



At least nine people were killed and two injured Sunday in Yamanashi Prefecture after a tunnel on the Chuo Expressway collapsed, crushing vehicles and starting fires inside, police said.

Three of the victims were in a party of six traveling in a rented van that apparently caught fire after it was crushed. Authorities also said that a truck driver who called for help after being trapped had died, and said others could be stranded as well.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20121203a1.html


Fatal tunnel collapse blamed on aging bolts



Tunnel collapse in Yamanashi Prefecture that killed at least nine people may have been caused by aging ceiling bolts that failed.


Police early Monday had confirmed that nine people died in three vehicles trapped inside the 4.7-km Sasago Tunnel.
In a vehicle that was believed carrying six people, police and firefighters found the bodies of three men and two women, all in their 20s and from Tokyo. A 28-year-old female banker from Kanagawa Prefecture who was in the vehicle survived.
They also confirmed the deaths of a man in his 70s, a woman in her 60s and another in her 70s, all in the same vehicle, as well as the death of a trucker, identified as Tatsuya Nakagawa, 50.
The Sasago Tunnel was opened to traffic in 1977.


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20121204a1.html


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1723 ( Woman Kept 160 Starving Dogs..... Seriously!!!! )
Thursday, December 6, 2012

Since Monday of this week, I have been coughing up a storm. Plus soar throat, sneezing and all that wonderful stuff we get in the Japanese winter. So I finally decided to take a sick day today. Plus I had my terrible classes at my "We don't remember the foreigner" school. So 2 in 1.

--------------------


Woman kept 160 starving dogs




A woman who kept 160 starving dogs in her house amid tons of their own excrement has been arrested, an official in Osaka said.
Ten tons of animal waste and other rubbish were removed from the house of Noriko Ishii, 43, after the dogs were taken away, the official said Wednesday. A Bernese Mountain Dog rescued from the house was found to weigh just 7 kg — a sixth of its normal weight, the official said, adding all the animals were "very scrawny".
Ishii, who is unemployed, could face up to ¥500,000 in fines if convicted of violating animal protection laws.


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20121207b2.html


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1724 ( 7.3 Magnitude Earthquake / On TV Again )
Friday, December 7, 2012

after my main job today, I rushed to the YMCA as I usually do on Fridays. While teaching my Friday class, I felt the white board shaking. I honestly thought it was my powerful hold on the white board. Then I thought it was my heading spinning. So I ignored it until a student asked "Yuretenai?" (Isn't the place shaking ?). Then I said, "Yes, actually it is" ... My teaching partner then came out of her class and told me to go down stairs. She said that is what we should do in this building if there is a major quake. It lasted like 12 seconds. These are the reports from my phone application.






7.3-magnitude temblor triggers tsunami alert



Authorities issued a tsunami alert for the northeast coast Friday after a powerful 7.3-magnitude undersea earthquake struck, setting buildings in Tokyo swaying violently. The warning was lifted at around 7:20 p.m.


They said tsunami up to 1 meter high could sweep ashore in areas badly hit by the March 2011 tsunami that devastated a large swath of the Tohoku region coast, killing thousands.
The Meteorological Agency said the 5:18 p.m. quake was likely an aftershock of the magnitude-9 quake that devastated the region on March 11, 2011, and warned of an aftershock from Friday's temblor of up to magnitude 6 within a week.


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20121208a1.html


--------------------

After work at the YMCA, I went to my apartment to see how well my new TV recorder thing worked. It did manage to record the program but there was some problems though. Here is a piece of the recording.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Day 1725 ( Wii U Out In Japan )
Saturday, December 8, 2012


My boss at YMCA took my 2 kindergarten classes from me because of my constant complaints. I will lose some money but I get some more rest and free time. I'm fine with that. I started feeling as if I was working 2 full-time jobs. So today I did only 2 classes with parents watching, then went back home.


--------------------




Nintendo's Wii U console hits shelves in Japan




Nintendo Co. launched its new Wii U game console in Japan on Saturday, aiming to stage a comeback in a market increasingly dominated by growth in games played on mobile phones.


The game console and software maker is hoping that the successor to the Wii, released in 2006, will turn around its business after posting a net loss of ¥43.2 billion last year due to sluggish sales and the strong yen.
The console comes with a controller called the Wii U GamePad, which has an embedded touch screen so people can play games on their television or just on the GamePad screen.
The suggested retail price is ¥26,250 for the 8-gigabyte model and ¥31,500 for the 32-gigabyte model.


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20121209b1.html


@Beth Peart - I haven't been in touch with Morimoto san since 2010 either. The last time we spoke she was crazy busy with school and work. I should be heading back to Jamaica soon so I will try to get in touch with her.

No comments: