A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Is there going to be a war between China and Japan?

Days 1782 - 1788
Sunday, February 3 - 9, 2013



Japanese word of the Week - Tabemono - 食べ物 - Food

Day 1782 ( Surviving a Bomb Blast !! )
Sunday, February 3, 2013

Went to church today at the Yokohama International Baptist Church (YIBC), which I started visiting since late November/early December of 2012. Its a bit further than the first church I used to go to but I some how feel more at home here. Maybe because 2 of my Jamaican friends also goes there plus there are more people to interact with.

After the service, 6 of us went out to have lunch. The restaurant was jam packed, so it took us about 45 minutes to be seated. The guy seated beside me is an Australian, who is an exchange student, but will be leaving soon.

Farewell Denish

The food was absolutely incredible. Even though it took us a while to get served. One of the females who was their with us, her dad is a diplomat for the Japanese government. She is half Filipino, half Japanese. She speaks Japanese to her dad, but English to her mom and pretty much has been all over the world. Such is the life of a diplomat's daughter. Actually she went to first grade at one of the schools I currently teach at.

Anyway, she told me that they had to flee from Pakistan not once but twice!!! I think once was with the 9/11 plane incident in America, while the other was a little more "closer to home" so to speak. She said while in church in Pakistan one day (the church by the way is in a well protected, secured, don't try to come in here area), she was in the church basement attending Sunday school probably. While her mom was in the service. Her mom saw 2 guys and a child speaking to each other constantly throughout the service, then suddenly, one of the dudes got up, opened up his jacket which had some explosives, and blew up himself, simultaneously with the child and the other dude. Body parts, blood and projectiles were flying everywhere.

She said her mom got some pieces of metal stuck in her body up to this day. I think when they were leaving Pakistan at that time, the metal detector kept going off, because it was detecting the stuff in her body. So she had to explain to the security what took place.


I have never met someone who experienced this kind of thing. Almost unthinkable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1783 ( Wrong Location!! )
Monday, February 4, 2013

Had a part time job interview after work today in an area called Zushi. Initially I got an email from a Canadian dude telling me he saw my resume on a "Job advertising" website called gaijinpot.com . The last time I applied for a job via this site was over a year ago. I am not sure why they decided to contact me just now. They are known as Cosmos. Anyway, the guy didn't give me proper directions, so I searched the internet for the address. I found it and decided to go on an adventure to this interview location. I took a bus from the Zushi station and headed to a location called Highland, which was about 15 mins away by bus from the Zushi station. This was a very high class neighbourhood with massive houses and expensive cars everywhere. When I got to the place for the interview, the receptionist came out to meet me and eventually told me that I was at the wrong location. So I had to take the bus back to the Zushi station.



I then went to the correct location which was very near to the Zushi station and viewed a class briefly before doing the interview. The class that I viewed was that of the guy who sent me the email inviting me to the interview. The Japanese children in his class all spoke really good English. Not with a Japanese accent either. They sounded native. So it was weird, because I've never met Japanese kids whose English was so good and clear. Except for like 2 of my students who lived abroad for a while.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1784 ( Ted / Is there going to be a war between China and Japan? )
Tuesday, February 5, 2012

Got a day off today because I worked last Saturday for open school. So I stayed in all day. I watched a movie name Ted, with a talking, foul mouth Teddy Bear. It was really funny though. Definitely not for the kids and the ultra conservative I assure you. I give it a 6 / 10 because it made me laugh some.


------------------------------------

Is there going to be a war between China and Japan? 

China and Japan has been at each others' throats for centuries. But things really escalated since last year when the Japanese government purchased a set of islands from the Japanese private owners. The Chinese got furious and started destroying random Japanese made vehicles and destroying Japanese company buildings in China. They also started boycotting Japanese products etc. The truth is, China ignored these islands for years, until the UN found out that the islands were rich with resources.

China has since been provoking Japan almost non-stop by sailing their military ships in the area and flying their war planes in "Japanese" air space. The Japanese defense minister even said that China locked their guns on Japanese radars.

Here is an excerpt:


Japan considers disclosing evidence on China radar lock




The Japanese government said on Saturday it was considering disclosing evidence to bolster its claim that a Chinese frigate locked its weapon-targeting radar on a Japanese ship, after Beijing rejected the charge.
The incident, which Japan said happened last week, marked the first time the two nations’ navies have locked horns in a territorial dispute that has some commentators warning about possible armed conflict.
The neighbors—also the world’s second and third-largest economies—have seen ties sour over uninhabited Japanese-controlled islands in the East China Sea known as Senkaku in Tokyo and Diaoyu by Beijing, which claims them.
“The government is considering the extent of what can be disclosed,” Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera said on a television program Saturday.
The comment came a day after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe demanded that Beijing apologize and admit the incident had happened.
Tokyo also charges that in the middle of last month a Chinese frigate’s radar locked on to a helicopter, in a procedure known as “painting” that is a precursor to firing weaponry.


http://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/japan-considers-disclosing-evidence-on-china-radar-lock

------------------------------------

Here is a video put together by a group known as "minute MBA" about the possible effect of a show down between China and Japan. The US is however constitutionally bound to defend Japan.



The Economic Impact of a War Between Japan & China

Global economists are keeping their eyes glued to the Asia-Pacific region, where a bitter feud is brewing between two of the world’s most powerful nations over a small collectivity of islands in the East China Sea. The Chinese government argues that a treaty signed during the first Sino-Japanese War (1894-95) conferred ownership of the islands to China. Japan has long disputed these claims, and today argues that the islands are integral to its national identity.

The argument came to a head last September, when a boycott of Japanese products led Chinese demonstrators to target fellow citizens who owned Japanese cars. Three months later, the situation escalated when when Japanese jets confronted a Chinese plane flying over the islands; no shots were fired, but the act of antagonism has set a troubling precedent between the military forces of both nations.
The conflict between China and Japan has put the United States in a precarious position: if a full-scale war were to erupt, the U.S. would be forced to choose between a long-time ally (Japan) and its largest economic lender (China). Last year, China’s holdings in U.S. securities reached $1.73 trillion and goods exported from the U.S. to China exceeded $100 billion. The two countries also share strong economic ties due to the large number of American companies that outsource jobs to China.

http://www.onlinemba.com/blog/economic-war-between-china-japan



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1785 ( Crooked/Snaggle Tooth Craze In Japan )
Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wasn't feeling too well this morning plus some heavy, cold rain was falling. So guess what? I called in sick and stayed in all day. My company was afraid that it may be the nasty flu that has been going around, so they wanted me to go to the doctor. I didn't have a fever so I didn't go anywhere.

------------------------------------



Japanese Snaggletooth Craze Spawns Dental Procedures, Girl Group


New Trend in Japan !!!
Americans regularly fork over $US5000 to fix a crooked smile with braces. But in Japan, women are spending about $US400 for just the opposite. On the other side of the planet, imperfect teeth are becoming a thing of beauty. 

Japan's beauty trend, dubbed "tseuke-yaeba," has reached a fever pitch, with young women paying hundreds for snaggleteeth

Bagelheads: Shocking New Trend in Japan 
The procedure first made headlines in 2011, but since then, it has grown in popularity, even spawning a Japanese pop girl group whose members sport the snaggletooth look. The girl group, TYB48 or "Tseuke-Yaeba 48," was created by the Taro Masuoka--the very same dentist who pioneered the procedure. 

"A lot of my patients are fashion-conscious and very cute. I wanted to find some way to take advantage of this, so I formed TYB48," Masuoka, of Tokyo's Pure Cure dental salon, told Japan Today

The group-whose debut album, seriously titled "Mind If I Bite?" dropped last April-turned the child-like vampire mouth into a bona-fide phenomenon. But they're far from Japan's first famous females with mangled mouths. See the smiles on country's popular news anchor Mika Sugisaki and Japan's crown princess Masako. 



http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/beauty/japanese-snaggletooth-craze-spawns-dental-procedures-girl-group-194500258.html



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1786 ( New Down Coat ) 
Thursday, February 7, 2013

After work today, I had dinner with the gardener at my main school. He saw me one day after work and said "hey lets go drinking" so I said "sure thing". We had some drinks, ate some yaki tori and chatted for about 2 hours. I then went home and collected a nike down coat that I ordered online.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1787 ( Office 2010 Installed )
Friday, February 8, 2013

Should have had my final swimming lesson today at the YMCA. But for some reason or another, my instructor/examiner either forgot that my swimming lesson/exam was today. My boss wanted me to stay and wait for 1 hour for the class but I insisted that she check if he was available. When she checked, just I thought, he had another student. I received no prior message telling me this .....

Anyway, I went home and was bored, so because windows 8 was released with Office 2013 recently, I decided to install office 2010. Upgrading from 2007. It looks pretty much the same, but it is killing my computer resources, oh... I need a new computer!!!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1788 (  )
Saturday, February 9, 2013

Went to the YMCA this morning then to an outlet mall about 30 mins by foot from my apartment. I bought a couple of clothes that were on sale.





No comments: