A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, March 18, 2013

Back in Time Part 1 - My First Date With a Japanese -


Japanese word of the day: Hon - 本 - ほん - Book


Days 1817 - 1823
Sunday, March 10 - March 16, 2013


Day 1817 ( Another Lazy Day / Iran's President in Trouble )
Sunday, March 10, 2013

Again, because I was sooo busy and tired last week, I stayed in all day for a second day. Fooling around the computer, my i-phone and my playstation 3.

-----------------------------

Ahmadinejad under fire for hugging Chavez's mother



Senior Iranian clerics have scolded President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for consoling Hugo Chavez's mother with a hug - a physical contact considered a sin under Iran's strict Islamic codes.
The rebuke follows a widely published photo showing Ahmadinejad embracing Chavez's mother at the funeral of the late Venezuelan president in what is seen as taboo-breaking behaviour in Iran.


Iranian papers on Tuesday cited clerics from the religious centre of Qom who described the hug as "forbidden," inappropriate behaviour and "clowning around."
Iran's strict Islamic codes prohibit physical contact between unrelated members of the opposite sex.
The clerics did not spare Ahmadinejad.
"Touching a non-mahram (a woman who is not a close relative) is forbidden under any circumstances, whether shaking hands or touching by the cheek," said one of the clerics, Mohammad Taqi Rahbar, adding that such a contact, even with "an older woman is not allowed ... and contrary to the dignity of the president of the Islamic Republic of Iran."
Ayatollah Mohammad Yazdi, Iran's former judiciary chief and a religious leader in Qom, said Ahmadinejad was "clowning around" and his hug shows he failed to "protect the dignity of his nation and his position."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/Ahmadinejad-under-fire-for-hugging-Chavez-s-mother#ixzz2NsStgfnL


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1818 ( 2 Year Anniversary of Mega Quake )
Monday, March 11, 2013

Had 4 classes today, then bought some groceries at the supermarket then went back home. Just one of those normal days.

-----------------------------

Nation marks second year since calamity

Grief continues as rebuilding lags in regions forever changed





Japan on Monday marked the second anniversary of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that devastated Tohoku’s coastline and left some 19,000 people dead or missing amid the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl.

Interrupting the slow progress on reconstruction, memorial services were held in the three northeastern prefectures hit hardest by the tsunami as well as in Tokyo and elsewhere, with a moment of silence observed across the country at 2:46 p.m., the time the magnitude 9.0 quake hit exactly two years ago.

Along the Pacific coast, relatives of those killed offered prayers early Monday.
Antinuclear events were also held in parts of Japan to call on the country to abandon atomic power.
The meltdowns at Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima No. 1 plant heightened public anxiety about the safety of nuclear power, forcing all but two reactors in the country to remain offline after being suspended for regular maintenance.

But Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said that idled reactors will be restarted once their safety has been confirmed to ensure stable electricity supply and affordable energy costs.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/03/11/national/nation-marks-second-year-since-calamity/#.UUbQcNbqjoJ

-----------------------------

Megaquake felt in space


A European Space Agency satellite circling the Earth was able to detect the massive 2011 quake.





“The atmospheric infrasounds following the great Tohoku earthquake . . . induced variations of air density and vertical acceleration of the GOCE platform,” said a report published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

The Gravity Ocean Circulation Explorer is the European Space Agency super-sensitive satellite that acts like an orbital seismologist.

Scientists argue that earthquakes not only create seismic waves that travel through Earth’s interior, but large tremors also cause the surface of the planet to vibrate like a drum. This produces sound waves that travel upward through the atmosphere.

GOCE is designed to capture and register these signals.
According to the report, the magnitude 9 temblor on March 11, 2011, sent shock waves through the atmosphere that were picked up by the satellite.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/03/12/national/megaquake-felt-in-space/#.UUbQfdbqjoJ


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1819 ( Back in Time Part 1 - My First Date With a Japanese -   )
Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Did 6 classes today of only Grades 1s and 2s then had to rush to meet my Australian friend in an area called Hiratsuka.

Trying to look good for the lesson viewing










It took more than 1 hour from the school I went today. My Australian friend introduced me to an evening, English teaching job. It starts at 5:30pm and ends at 8:30pm. the pay is 3600 yen (US$36) per hour   plus transportation. Then after 3 months, it will go up to 3800 yen. The company I will work through has a contract to teach English for a huge construction / excavation company in Japan known as KOMATSU.


So I went to see my Australian friend teach today, in order to get an idea of how to handle the students. But the class is more or less reading and answering questions from 2 business English books. So actually I started to fall asleep within the first hour. When the class ended at 8:30pm, we had to wait on a bus that comes at 8:55pm. I got home at about 10:20pm.

-----------------------------

My First Date With a Japanese Girl


Decided to dig in my archives again for some old posts I made that I thought were kind of interesting, but many haven't read yet. So I came across this one......

Riiiiight so back in 2008 when I just got here and was in Okayama prefecture, I met a girl on a train. Not many people know this, but I am actually kind of shy when it comes on to approaching females... YES I AM!!! However, because of my exposure and me performing poetry at different places, I am somewhat used to being in the lime light. So it was never too difficult for me to meet girls. And all I would have to do is tell them of my interest in them, and pretty much that was it. Not all the time it worked, but I had a pretty good success rate. However, for me to just go and approach a girl like that...... hmmm that's kind of difficult. And If I get turned down!!!! Its like the end of the world and I would just crawl back into my shell.

So here I am in Japan in 2008, single for like 6 months, because (1) I am scared of being turned down, (2) there are not many young girls around and (3) frankly, my Japanese ability was really poor. I was on the train heading home and a girl sat beside me. I was wondering if I should stay quiet and mind my own business.. Or should I approach her. It took me about 30 mins to think about it then finally I decided "What do I have to lose??" So I sparked up a conversation. To my surprise, she spoke English. And she seemed interested in me. Even when I stopped talking, she still wanted to talk...This to me was showing interest!!!! Anyway, it wasn't before long, we were exchanging numbers and making plans to meet again. And we did .... I even invited her to a reggae event that was going to be held the same day, and she agreed to come along with me... Horayyyy ... Or so I thought....

So we went on the date (from here on its a copy, paste and edit from that blog post back in 2008)
with the Japanese girl that I met on the train while heading to Niimi. We met at Okayama and we went to a little Spanish restaurant. She speaks and understands English pretty well as she studied English Literature in University.. she said her sister wants to meet me as well but her sister was at work. After we ate and chatted for about a hour or 2, she said she had to go because she had work the next morning!!!!. I was like "Didn't you promise to come to the reggae event with me tonight" Then she started apologizing none stop. 


I'm trying to look cute.... it didn't work ..... Is that the toilet behind us???

I was of course down and she noticed, so she followed me to the Jamaican restaurant (where the reggae even was being held) then she went home afterwards. She said she worked at an internet company and she is extremely busy... Any way, that was the date pretty much...
Yes I know very boring, all we did was chat and eat... I was fore-warned by many friends that people in Japan (both males and female..but mostly females) have no time for themselves and they LOVE to punish themselves with work. I saw it for myself... Its like the opposite of Jamaicans, we long for a holiday, the Japanese generally, don't want any holiday, because its boring.

I made contact a few times afterwards with her, but that was that. There was no meeting up again. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1820 ( Sleep Deprivation Have Consequences - I hope I Can Remember This )
Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Rode to work today again. The first in a while. Getting my exercise on. But the bicycle handle wasn't tightened properly, so at times when I turned the handle, only the handle would turn, not the wheel. It made me get to work a little bit later. So the class actually started without me. I was late by about 3 minutes.

-----------------------------

Sleep deprivation has genetic consequences

Effects from disruption of DNA expression will take years to detail

My room isn't much bigger than this - Trust me

A new study, paid for by the U.S. Air Force but relevant for anyone with a small child, a large prostate or a lot on the mind, is helping illuminate what happens at the genetic level when we don’t get enough sleep.

It turns out that chronic sleep deprivation — in this experiment, less than six hours a night for a week — changes the activity of about 700 genes, which is roughly 3 percent of all we carry.
About one-third of the affected genes are ramped up when we go with insufficient sleep night after night. The other two-thirds are partially suppressed. Hundreds of “circadian genes” whose activity rises and falls each day lose their rhythm.

Among the genes disturbed by sleep deprivation are ones involved in metabolism, immunity, inflammation, hormone response, the expression of other genes and the organization of material called chromatin on chromosomes. These changes may help explain how inadequate sleep alters attention and thinking and raises the risk for illnesses such as diabetes and coronary heart disease.

The researchers also identified genes whose activity depended on how long a person stayed awake. After a week of good sleep and then 40 hours of no sleep, there were 122 such genes. After a week of bad sleep, that number was up to 856.

In other words, not enough sleep day after day throws a lot of things off.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1821 ( Happy White Day, wait .. What??? / Google Taking Over)
Thursday, March 14, 2013











Today I stayed home.. why?? Because it was raining and cold outside ... I used up one of my personal days.


So today was white day in Japan. Where traditionally the males should give back the females a gift, like what the females give the males for valentine's days. This is done ONLY in Japan and is done ONLY to make the rich merchants richer. Nothing else.

-----------------------------

Google takes a big bite out of rival Apple

Google has retaken the role of tech sector superstar with a stunning stock rally as rival Apple falters.

Google has hit fresh all-time highs in recent weeks, and closed Friday at $831.52, capping a nearly tenfold rise from its public offering price in 2004 of $85. Shares in the firm are up about 17 percent so far this year.

Part of the explanation comes from the rise of its Android mobile operating system, at the expense of Apple. Android is free but gives Google the opportunity to deliver more services and ads to users. “The negativity that is surrounding Apple at the moment is giving positivity to Google,” said Gartner analyst Carolina Milanesi.

Apple, which traded as high as $700 last year, has slumped more than 35 percent and ended Friday at $431.67.
For Google, “there’s a lot going forward at the moment,” Milanesi said, noting that the company is successfully “getting consumers into their ecosystem.”

Google now appears poised to beat Apple to the symbolic $1,000 share price, some analysts predict. Analysts at Jefferies said Google set a price target for $1,000, saying it has been benefiting from a wide range of services beyond its traditional Web search ads, including shopping and mobile ads.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1822 ( 10 Years of Dub Poetry - March 15, 2003 - March 15, 2013 )
Friday, March 15, 2013

Had 6 classes at my main school then 2 classes at the YMCA today. Another one of those long days.

-----------------------------

It was exactly 10 years ago when my pastor decided to have a youth day. He pastors 2 churches (1 in Waterford, the other in Edgewater ) both in Portmore, Jamaica. He wanted the youths to visit each other more, plus have a moderator to keep events for the youths. So he wanted some items for the youth day event. That was when I decided to try out this dub poetry thing. I normally write poems but never tried a dub poem before. I was inspired by this guy I saw doing a dub poem at a camp. The crowd was really into it and couldn't get enough it seemed. I asked him what was his secret, and he simply said, "if you can write a poem, then you can write and perform dub poems".


So I decided to try out this dub poem ting. I started writing my first piece, with the help of this girl I was fooling around with at the time. It took me about 2 weeks to perfect it. So on March 15, 2003, I performed it at the youth day even. At my surprise, the crowd roared and asked me for an encore. I never expected this kind of response. So I started writing more on different themes, like love, peace, joy, hope etc.

This is how I looked while performing my first set of dub poems 10 years ago...

Yes that's me between 2002-2003

Another church in Spanish Town asked my youth group for an item, and I decided to go ahead. Again, the crowd was cheering me on and asked for an encore. After these 2 performances, in the space of a year, I was travelling all over Jamaica performing my dub poems. I got so busy between 2004-2006 that I was performing at least once a week, if I was in the country. My first overseas performance was at my friend's wedding in Miami in 2004. Again the crowd was really into it. Everything actually slowed down after I came to Japan.

This is the first recorded performance I have in my archives.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snVzRXBpHCc&list=UU6wxqunRv5emj-DPaINw8Gg&index=1



Here is a youtube playlist of some of my performances between 2003-2013.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322eRPdIQ4g&list=PLZY_7LPriMqZnsnrpnLDt40bepd_bwX5i


To date, I have performed in the following countries:

Jamaica (of course), USA, Grenada, Trinidad, The Bahamas, Germany, Panama and Japan.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1823 ( Performance At African Heritage Festival )
Saturday, March 16, 2013

Did my last 2 classes for this term at the YMCA, then went home for a bit. I then went to an African heritage festival thing that was being held at a station in Yokohama called Hongo-Dai. Not a lot of people were there but I still performed 3 poems.

2 comments:

Bjorn J Burrows said...

Hmmmm so way back in 2008 you dated a Japanese lady and no other since then? hmmm.....awww man. lol

Bjorn J Burrows said...

So wayyyy back in 2008 you dated a Japanese girl and none since then? hmmm....ah man. lol