A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Useful i-phone Apps In Japan


Japanese sentence of the week 

onaka suita - I am hungry

Days 1824 - 1830
Sunday, March 17 - March 23, 2013


Day 1824 ( Elderly Japanese Got Defrauded of 45 Million yen )
Sunday, March 17, 2013

Stayed in all day. Ate pizza for dinner

----------------------------------


Identity fraudster steals 45 million yen from elderly woman




Police said Wednesday that a woman in Kawasaki has been defrauded of 45 million yen by a man posing as her nephew.
According to police, at around 9 a.m. on Tuesday, the man called the woman, who is in her 70s, and pretended to be her nephew. TV Asahi reported that he claimed he had accidentally left a check worth 45 million yen in a convenience store toilet and asked her to replace the money. The victim reportedly took the 21 million yen she kept at home, withdrew 24 million from a bank account and handed the cash to a man dressed in a suit who met her at a convenience store car park.
A short time later, the woman’s son telephoned her nephew to confirm the story, at which point the deception was discovered. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1825 ( Dragon Ball Bottle From KFC / Android OS Full of Malwares )
Monday, March 18, 2013

Rode to work today then gave a goodbye speech in the gym / auditorium. I did my speech in all Japanese. The principal and almost everyone else thought that this would be my last day, but actually I have 2 classes next week. The same thing happened last year at this school. Well actually it was worse last year. Coming to work like normal, then the teachers were waiting on me. As soon as they saw me, they were signalling me to hurry to give my goodbye speech????? Huh... And why wasn't I informed???

Anyway, did the speech, 3 classes then left. They gave me this book:


Jamaica Jamaica
All classes wrote something inside. My Japanese friend said she could notice the difference between the teachers who don't really care about English and the ones who try to make an effort.

They also gave me this bouquet of flowers.


In all honesty, I don't like getting flowers as a form of gift. I like giving it but not getting it. Even though its beautiful and I like the kind gesture etc. but, I think flowers is what you give to females. So when I get flowers, I either give them away to females or quite frankly, throw them away.

 ----------------------------------

I stopped by KFC to try my luck (which is normally not so good) at a dragon ballz campaign they are having now. I got this bottle.

Goten and trunks FUSION!!! Gotenks created
Yeah I was a huge Dragon Ballz fan between 1998 - 2000.


----------------------------------



Android OS top malware virus target







The Android operating system accounts for 79 percent of all malware infections on smartphones and the threat is multiplying, a security firm said Thursday.
Finland’s F-Secure said in a report that the free Google operating system, which has been gaining smartphone market share globally, has become the dominant platform targeted by hackers.
“Every quarter, malware authors bring forth new threat families and variants to lure more victims and to update on the existing ones,” F-Secure said in a quarterly report. “In the fourth quarter alone, 96 new families and variants of Android threats were discovered, which almost doubles the number recorded in the previous quarter.”
The only other platform with any significant share of malware was the Symbian system dropped by Nokia, which F-Secure said accounted for 19 percent. Other major platforms, including Apple’s iOS, BlackBerry and Windows Phone, each had less than 1 percent of mobile phone infections.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1826 ( Graduation at My Worst School / Japanese Train Ties For World Fastest )
Tuesday, March 19, 2013

NOTE...This is not my school

Went to my worst school today to attend their graduation. Today, all my schools had graduation. Normally I would go to my main school today but for some reason, I was scheduled to go to my worst school's graduation. It went ok however, and the rotten kids were quiet and well behaved.

My Japanese friend said she thinks that the reason why they probably sent me to my worst school was that my main school and the other school would be too busy and filled with people. In other words, they wouldn't have time for me. However, not many people would care too much about my worst school, so that would be  the best choice for them.

It was of course boring and I was falling asleep. But luckily, I could head home soon after.

----------------------------------

After I got back home, it was time to go to my main school. I went with them to a final dinner/drinking party thing. Some teachers were asking me why I didn't attend the graduation at their school???? I told them because my schedule instructed me to go to another school. They still didn't seem to understand.... I was also confused as to why they didn't know!!!

Yuk!!!













Any way it was time for the food. As always at these final parties, they served raw meat/fish!!! Which I find quite difficult to digest. Luckily, they had a little candle fire thing beneath some bowls in order to keep some of the other food warm. I simply took the raw stuff and placed them into the hot bowls with the candle beneath them to let them cook a bit. Then I was able to eat them. I also had to give a short speech in Japanese...I must admit that I had a good time there though... Good laughs.

----------------------------------

Japanese Train Ties for World Fastest














Hayabusa bullet trains began running Saturday at a new top speed of 320 kph on the Tohoku Shinkansen Line, equalling France’s TGV as the world’s fastest train in operation.
Meanwhile, a new red E6 series bullet train debuted on the Akita Shinkansen Line the same day and part of local train lines in Miyagi Prefecture resumed operation for the first time in two years, providing a sliver of good news for the disaster-hit Tohoku region.
The E5 series Hayabusa, which links Tokyo with Aomori Prefecture on the northern tip of Honshu, now reaches speeds of 320 kph between Utsunomiya and Morioka — the capitals of Tochigi and Iwate prefectures.
The Hayabusa’s previous maximum speed — 300 kph — was eclipsed Saturday as operator East Japan Railway Co. revised its service schedules. The bullet trains now cover the 714-km distance between Tokyo and Shin-Aomori stations in two hours and 59 minutes — 11 minutes faster than before.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/03/17/national/320-kph-hayabusa-matches-world-speed-record/#.UVFn4NbqjoJ


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1827 ( Useful iphone Apps In Japan )

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 (5 YEARS!!!)

Today makes exactly 5 years since I am living in Japan. Yeah me!!! But I do realize that I am getting old. Look what came out of my nose today!!!!!

Gray hair in my Nose!!!!!! Ohh come on now age 
----------------------------------

I went to the YMCA today even though today is a public holiday. They had a graduation / English festival of sorts. I watched my students do poems and performed some other stuff in English. I also did a dub poem in half Japanese and half English. They seemed to like it. I also handed out certificates and gave a short speech promoting the YMCA and my classes.

----------------------------------

Useful i-phone Apps In Japan

Google Maps













If you get lost easily... (I know I do) Then this is the app for you. It even has a 3D view thing.

Evernote 












This is like Microsoft Word, but for your i-phone. It can add pictures write and store stuff plus even make voice notes to store for later.

Navitime (Japanese Langage Only!!)















This is in Japanese only but it accepts roman letters as well. It tells you train times, the train platforms to take,  and how long it will take you from place A to place B... Along with alternatives. Again, the only draw back is that it is Japanese only.

Booking.com and Hotels.com

                               
                                                           


                                                                 


                                                                               






These are both nice apps for finding hotels anywhere in the world. There is also TripAdvisor and kayak.com.

XE











Use this to convert your currency.






Convert













This one can also convert currency but not as good as XE... However if you have trouble converting inches to centimeters, Celsius to farhenheit etc. This is the app for you.



imiwa? (Formerly known as Kotoba)


This is the best Japanese dictionary on the i-phone hands down. It is even better than some of those expensive  electronic dictionaries. This can even teach you Japanese if you want.









Goo







This is another good app but in Japanese only. It helps you search for new and used cars all over Japan.




Uniqlo 


This is for those of you who like cheap stuff in Japan. This app informs you when there are sales and discounts in Uniqlo.








Dropbox








You have probably heard about dropbox. Possibly the best cloud computing software around. Well its also on the iphone. You can upload your pictures and other files straight from your i-phone. And it will sync with the dropbox on your computer.






Yurekuru





You know what else is popular in Japan outside of anime, games, technology and temples??? Yeah EARTHQUAKES!!! This app warns you 10 seconds before an earthquake actually hits... Well it should... Sometime its late, other times it doesn't respond at all. But it has a 90-95%% success rate with me so far.









~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1828 ( Goodbye Worst School / Chile Unveils World's Biggest Observatory )
Thursday, March 21, 2013

Taught 4 classes then did a farewell speech at my worst school today. I used the same speech at all my schools. Only thing I have a teachers version of it... The thing is that, only my main school asked me to give to give 2 speeches. One for teachers, the other for everyone including students.

----------------------------------


Chile unveils world's largest astronomical observatory




Chilean President Sebastian Pinera Wednesday presided over the launching of the world's largest astronomical observatory in the remote Atacama Desert of the northern Chilean Andes.
Home to the world's most powerful telescope, the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array(ALMA), the observatory is the result of a collaboration between Europe, the United States, Japan and Chile.




Located 5,000 meters above sea level, the assembly of ALMA's antennas was recently completed and the telescope has already provided "unprecedented views of the cosmos with only a portion of its full array," the observatory said.
ALMA "is able to observe the universe by detecting light that is invisible to the human eye (and) will show us never-before-seen details about the birth of stars, infant galaxies in the early universe, and planets coalescing around distant suns," the observatory added.
Already "astronomers are having to rewrite a major part of the history of the universe," the observatory said, because the telescope has shown that the strongest star bursts in the cosmos " took place much earlier than previously thought."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1829 ( Farewell Main School / New Pope From Argentina )
Friday, March 22, 2013

Gave 2 farewell speeches at my main school today. One to the teachers, then another to the students. They also gave me flowers... Oh boy flowers again.... I then did 3 classes then headed home.


----------------------------------


Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina elected new pope, chooses name Francis







Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina was elected pope on Wednesday, becoming the first pontiff from the Americas and the first from outside Europe in more than a millennium. He chose the name Francis, associating himself with the humble 13th-century Italian preacher who lived a life of poverty.
Looking stunned, Pope Francis shyly waved to a crowd of more than 100,000 people who packed a rain-soaked St. Peter’s Square for the announcement, marveling that the cardinals needed to look to “the end of the Earth” to find a bishop of Rome.
In choosing a 76-year-old pope, the cardinals clearly decided they didn’t need a vigorous, young pontiff who would reign for decades but rather a seasoned, popular and humble pastor who would draw followers to the faith and help rebuild a church stained by scandal.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1830 ( Speaking To Street People )
Saturday, March 23, 2013

Went to a sidewalk church this morning to speak to some street people. I spoke to them about hope in the future. My heart goes out to them. One guy said he was from Okayama (The prefecture where I lived for 3 years). They were then given large amounts of bread.

In the evening I went to a dinner party of sorts, held by a guy who I will be working for part time starting April. I may not have mentioned it before but starting April I will only be doing part time jobs. Just something I decided to try because :

i) Maybe I will be moving to the Kansai area soon (Osaka, Kyoto, Nara area).

ii) I need a rest after 5 years of running and jumping around with Japanese kids

iii) I just want to see how this will go not working a 9-5 Job so to speak.


I know this is going to be a bit rough... But lets see how it works out. So far I will be doing YMCA, teach business English to some company workers, teach 2 high schools I think and my evening student. This alone won't equal the salary I got from jumping around with kids.

No comments: