A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, April 8, 2013

Many Special Needs (Handicapped) In Japan


Japanese sentence of the week:

Kore wa nandesuka - これは何ですか? - What is that?


Days 1831 - 1844
Sunday, March 24 - April 6, 2013 (2 WEEKS)

The last 2 weeks were busyyyyyyyyy. I will explain why shortly.

WEEK 1

Day 1831 ( Ice Age 4 With Ackee and Saltfish )
Sunday, March 24, 2013

Stayed in all day with my friend and played lots of Assassin's creed. Also watched Ice Age 3.



It was entertaining to a point. But not insanely great. I give it a 6.5/10

----------------------------------------

My friend also cooked ackee, saltfish (codfish) and festival (a sweet hardish bread-like food we eat in Jamaica ) for me. Isn't she just great :)


Ackee, Saltfish and festival

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1832 ( Last Day Of Work 2012-2013 School Year / Many Special Needs or Handicapped in Japan )
Monday, March 25, 2013

Today was my very last day of work, teaching elementary school. I did 3 classes then went home. When I got home, I watched Oz the great and powerful.


I fell asleep for the first part. But that's also because I was tired. The movie eventually picked up though. Overall not so bad either but could be much much better. I give this a 6/10 Yeah I think ice age 4 was better.

----------------------------------------

Many Special Needs (Handicapped) In Japan



















If you are an English teacher in Japan, you may notice that most schools, if not all, have some amount of special needs students there. Be it autism, down syndrome, ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) or some form of learning disability. Most schools have a special class that they call kobetsu shien - literally meaning individual or separate learning. So most of the special needs children would go to this class. However, if the parent doesn't want their child to go in this kobetsu class, then the school administration has to put the child in a normal class.

You will also definitely see them on the streets and on trains. Why are so many of them here? These are some of the answers from random people:

A Japanese special needs teacher

1) Japan doesn't have many special needs children, its just because the population here is huge that is why it may seem that way.

2) Any country that has a large population will undoubtedly have large amount of special needs children.

3) Its not that there are many special needs children in Japan, its just that Japan incorporate them in the society. While other countries (like Jamaica) sweep them aside and place them in special needs institutions and also don't really allow them to be seen so much in public.

4) A country with high medical technology will also undoubtedly have high special needs children. Because they will try to save a child no matter what the cost.

My Jamaican friend who teaches English

1) The Japanese ladies generally wait too late to have children. Which increases the probability.

2)  The Japanese people are indigenous so its very easy to get married to a distant relative. Which may cause some trouble in the gene pool.

What I think

1) Too much nuclear stuff around?

2) Too much fish (sushi etc) that comes from the sea which is filled with nuclear stuff?

What do you think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1833 ( Atheist Church On The Rise )
Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Stayed in all day then went to a cafe with me friend.

----------------------------------------

Atheist church going global after successful debut in Britain


Echoing with joyful song and a congregation bent on leading better lives, this London church is like any other — except there is no mention of God.

Britain’s atheist church is barely 3 months old but it already has more “worshippers” than can fit into its services, while more than 200 nonbelievers worldwide have contacted organizers to ask how they can set up their own branch.
Officially named The Sunday Assembly, the church was the brainchild of Pippa Evans and Sanderson Jones, two comedians who suspected there might be an appetite for atheist gatherings that borrowed a few aspects of religious worship. 

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/03/17/world/atheist-church-going-global-after-successful-debut-in-britain/#.UWEXi6LqjoJ


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1834 (  )
Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Today was a quiet day. I should have blogged but somehow I didn't. I stayed in playing Assassin's Creed.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1835 ( Goodbye Maria and Kelly )
Thursday, March 28, 2013

Went to a goodbye party for 2 of my friends this evening. It was held about 45 mins from where I live but in Yokohama.



Maria, standing at the back in white, will be leaving soon :(
Kelly sitting at the front right will also be leaving soon :(




We had yaki niku (cook your own beef thing) and a couple of other stuff to eat. We had a great time there. I played this game called Jinga? I think the name is, for the first time. This game.....

Explaining how to do the impossible
Attempting the impossible
     
After the party, I took the night bus and headed to Osaka.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                                                                                         
Day 1836 ( Searching For Jobs in Kansai Area )
Friday March 29, 2013


Slept on the bus while half drunk, then finally arrived in Osaka at around 7:00am. I then headed to Kyoto. While in Kyoto, I went to a job agency kinda thing in Japan, known as "Hello Work". This is one of the best kind of job placement agency I have ever seen. First, you log on to a computer and search for jobs within your field or whatever you want to try. You print out the jobs on a paper, sign up a form, then wait to be interviewed at the agency. After the interview, the interviewer will call the organization that needs an employee. If the organization wants you, then you will be interviewed by them in the near future and wallla you have a job... Easy right??? Not quite. My interviewer called 4 places, and as soon as he told them that I was a foreigner, they had a problem. So the advertisement asked for English teachers, but they want Japanese-English teachers. Also to tell the truth, another reason was because I can't speak "Business level" Japanese. I am still at conversational level after 5 years. I should get my studying on, but just no motivation to do so.

In the evening I went to the main Jamaican restaurant in Kyoto known as rub a Dub.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1837 ( Kyoto Aquarium )
Saturday, March 30, 2013

Went to another gigantic aquarium thing. This time in Kyoto and probably my 6th time overall in Japan. I was walking around looking at the different sea creatures, then....... What tha hell is that thing????

Japanese Giant Salamander
This was the first time I was seeing a salamander of any kind.



Swimming with the sea creatures


Algae


And of course, a suizokukan I mean an aquarium in Japan is no good without.......


They are flying!!!!




A Dolphin Show!!!

I then went to an area to search for a Nintendo DS. Why a Nintendo DS? I missed out on the latest pokemon. I know I know but I still like playing it after 12 years....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



WEEK 2

Day 1838 ( My Concern )
Sunday, March 31, 2013

Went to a Japanese style restaurant in Kyoto today. The food was really great. I then spoke to my friend about my major concerns in Japan right now.

1) I'm tired of teaching especially teaching kids. But this is the easiest job to get in Japan.

2) I want to go back in computing.... But I'm out of the field too long.

3) I need to study more and more Japanese.... But I'm simply not motivated to do so....

4) I actually want to go back to Jamaica or move to Kansai area.... But most people are telling me to stay in Japan because Jamaica is even worse. And jobs are verrrry difficult to get in the Kansai area it seem.

5) I feel like I am stuck in a loop here in Japan. I don't want to teach anymore. But it pays the bills.

What to do??? My plan now is to try and motivate myself to study more Japanese. also to do a short course in Teaching English as a foreign Language. TEFL or TESOL. So I can be more marketable.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1839 ( Leaving Kansai )
Monday, April 1, 2013

Left from Kyoto this morning via shinkansen to Yokohama. Still thinking about my future. Should I stay in Japan, do monotonous jobs, maybe get some money for doing it/them. Or should I go back to Jamaica and start all over again, doing only God knows what.

----------------------------------------

I bought a computer glasses today. This glasses should cut a thing called "Blue Light (high energy visible light) " by 50%. Blue Light is emitted by HD TVs, smart phones and laptops. I pretty much spend most days looking at all 3. I realized that my eyes start to hurt me a bit recently. So I decided to get this pair of glasses.



















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1840 ( First Business English Class )
Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Taught my very first business English class today. This part time job, I teach Business English to people at a land excavation company name Komatsu. I have to travel for over an hour to get there. I taught 2 classes, an intermediate class, and an advanced class. The intermediate class started off fine but I had a few hiccups while using the books to teach. Normally my plan is already in my mind and I usually don't need a book. However, it doesn't work like this for these classes.

The advanced class went very smoothly though. And the students asked quite a bit of questions. Especially when I told them that we don't play baseball in Jamaica but we play cricket. They wanted to know the rules of cricket and exactly how it is played.

All these guys are exceptionally brilliant. They are all either programmers or electronic engineers. These programmers use C and C++ to make the trucks and tractors do stuff. The others figure out how to improve the technology of the vehicles and so forth.

Anyway, from now on, every Tuesday I will get home at about 10:30pm.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1841 ( High School Teachers Training )
Wednesday, April 3, 2013



Oh yeah if I didn't mention it before, I should start teaching high school students starting next week. I have no clue what this will be like but lets see. I have to do some training first though.

Today was the first day of training, and I got there late. There was about 30 people in the training session. It started at 9:30 and ended at 4:30. I learnt a lot about teaching at high schools in Japan. I never knew that every single day, 5 questions are asked in English classes.... They are:

How are you?

How's the weather?

What day is it?

What's the date?

How do you spell ... ?

So we need to find creative ways of asking these 5 questions EVERYDAY.

We even got homework today. We should create a worksheet for high school students and present it tomorrow.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1842 ( Presenting My Worksheet / DSi )
Thursday, April 4, 2013



Got to training a bit late AGAIN!!! A few persons presented there worksheets today. I didn't want to present mine. But, 2 ladies that I sat beside told me that they wanted to see my worksheet. So I went ahead. My worksheet was on sports. They all seemed to like. The major critique was that I should have check the student's (teachers present) spelling on the worksheet, after giving them out.

We got yet another homework to do tomorrow. This time we are going to present our actual first lesson on the first day of work.


----------------------------------------


After training, I bought a second hand Nintendo DSi. I got it for around 3,500 yen (US $35). I am probably going to try hacking it as well....



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1843 ( Final Presentation )
Friday, April 5, 2013

The trainers cut the class in half today. So half came in the morning and presented their work, while the other half presented between 1:30 and 5:00. I wanted to get out early so I opted to present in the morning. This time I was early. Each person had a chance to critique someone presenting.

Each person had 10 mins to present. I spoke briefly about myself for 5 mins then about Jamaica for the next 5 mins.

After the training, I had lunch with 2 of the new trainees. We spoke about quite a bit of stuff.









~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1844 ( Subway Museum )
Saturday, April 6, 2013

My American friend who also works with my company decided to leave Japan on Monday. So we met in Tokyo today even though it was raining heavily. At first we went to a train museum.






Then we went to Akihabara.

No comments: