A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, May 27, 2013

Jamaica One Love Festival 2013, Tokyo Part 2 - My Biggest Performance Yet


Japanese sentence of the week - daijyoubu desuka - 大丈夫ですか? - Are you ok?


Days 1887 - 1893 
Sunday, May 19 - May 25, 2013


Day 1887 ( Jamaica One Love Festival Part 2 - My Biggest Performance Yet )
Sunday, May 19, 2013

Left out for Tokyo relatively early this morning because I wanted to sell off my towels and T-shirts. My first time doing anything of this sort. Thanks for the great help Francine and Kennise. The truth is I wasn't around the selling area for more than say 20 mins at any one time. My mother's family name is "Walker" and we oh so love to walk.


Love the bag Mel.

I went to the festival with my Uzbek and American friends who also are high school teachers. Met quite a few other friends there as well. This is the only event in Japan every year, where you get to see the most Jamaicans in one place.

I was also supposed to perform today so I was getting more and more nervous. I went on stage at around 3:25pm and I asked my American friend to video my performance.








As soon as I went on stage I was at ease.. Wasn't nervous at all...I was just wondering what the crowd response would be like. Not many of my Jamaican friends were around to see me, so I didn't really have the support I wanted. But its a festival, so everyone was just walking around, maybe like what I would have done. Thanks for the photo Simone!!!!

In front of a crowd of 30,000 or more - 98% Japanese

Yeah this was my biggest performance. Close to or more than 30,000 people. In Germany it was about 5000 people. Below was my performance - at the One Love Festival 2013.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6MYviG0KBw


Again I can't get the video in-bedded  in blogger.

After my performance, I went back into the crowd to look for my friend who took the video. I saw a couple more of my friends in the crowd, then a guy stopped me and said "Good job".... He said he is a producer and would like his musicians to do a performance on stage someday. I told him I'm not sure if I could help him with that, but we exchanged information just in case. My friend who took the video eventually found me and gave me back my phone. But while walking away to go back to my towels and T-shirts, 2 Japanese girls came up to me and said "that was awesome"... In Japanese of course... One of them held on to my left arm and kept saying "kakkoi ... sugoi sugoi" .... You are cool and awesome..... They looked like the party party type Japanese girls so I smiled and kinda walked away from them a bit. My American and Uzbek friends were behind me and saw what was going on. My American friend then said "You got yourself some fan girls". I really wasn't expecting this because in my mind, not many people were understanding what I was saying. And I didn't see any of my Jamaican friends in the sea of Japanese.

Anyway, I took some more pics and tried to sell more of my towels as well as help my friends sell their stuff. Like Jamaican i-phone covers, bracelets, jerk seasonings etc.





Got some peppery Jerk chicken and jerk pork afterwards and some good old alcohol (sorry mom). Rum punch and red stripe beer.




While heading back to my apartment, it was raining like crazy and my phone battery was dead. So I headed to Bic camera (huge electronics store) in Shibuya to charge my phone. I got home at about 12 midnight. I thoroughly enjoyed both days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1888 ( Star Soccer Player, Beckham To Retire )
Monday, May 20, 2013 (5 Years 2 Months)

Had a biig argument with a friend today to the point of shouting in my apartment. And my voice ain't soft. Anyway, we are ok now....

--------------------------------


With retirement, Beckham brand to go even more global



Many faces of Beckham


After David Beckham’s long and distinguished soccer career ends on an artificial turf field in northwestern France, his life promises to be perhaps even more glamorous than it already has been.
Nearly 20 years after breaking into the Manchester United lineup, the 38-year-old former England captain won the French league title with Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) this season.

After announcing his retirement Thursday, Beckham’s role in soccer will take on a new dimension worldwide.
He has an ambassadorial role for Chinese soccer and for British television channel Sky, as well as an option to buy a franchise in Major League Soccer.

“I would like to wish him all the best for all of his future projects,” PSG President Nasser al-Khelaifi said. “We are talking about the possibility of continuing our work together.”
But PSG may have to get in line, as the English Football Association also desperately wants him on board.
This was the same Beckham who, although ruled out of the tournament because of injury, insisted on traveling to South Africa to support his teammates at the 2010 World Cup.

Beckham reportedly is being paid €20 million ($30.6 million) over five years to work as a Sky Television ambassador — showing the drawing power he retains.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1889 ( Jamaicans Dominates Diamond League  )
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Didn't go to my high school today, because I was having a bad stomach ache this morning. But, they were having tests so I would go there and do nothing. What a coincidence with my stomachache and having no classes!!! :)

In the evening though, I went to my business English class. I had only one class then waited for over an hour for the advance group to show up. They didn't. I learnt eventually that if the second group doesn't show up in 1 hour, then I can leave. Found that out too late so I still got home at 10:30 pm.

--------------------------------


Jamaicans sweep Diamond League sprint titles; Jeter pulls up injured



Big up mi bredrin Warren
Mi know yuh from yuh a likkle yute




Jamaica dominated the sprint races at the Diamond League meet in Shanghai on Saturday, with Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce winning the women’s 100 meters and Warren Weir capturing gold in the men’s 200.
Fraser-Pryce, a two-time Olympic champ, ran 10.93 seconds to beat Blessing Okagbare and defending world champion Carmelita Jeter, who pulled up at the finish with an apparent leg injury.
Jeter fell to the track after the race and lay on her back for several seconds before being carried off on a stretcher. Meet organizers said the American would undergo tests to determine the nature of the injury.
Fraser-Pryce is off to a strong start this year. She also won the 200 in the season-opening Diamond League meet last week in Doha.
“I feel very relaxed,” she said. “I came here to win and just to see how I would do.”
Weir, the bronze medalist at the London Olympics, finished in 20.18 seconds to hold off Justin Gatlin and Jason Young in the final few strides.
The field was weakened by the withdrawal of Olympic silver medalist Yohan Blake because of injury. Usain Bolt is also taking a break from the 200 to focus on the 100.
This is the video of Warren Weir winning Justin Gatlin


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2013/05/20/more-sports/jamaicans-sweep-diamond-league-sprint-titles-jeter-pulls-up-injured/#.UaNJ16LqjoJ




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1890 ( Candy Crush and Jewel Mania )
Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Went to my main school today but had no classes. So I went there a bit late and just sat and played games on my phone. After that I went to the YMCA to teach some brats as well as some good kids, then went to my evening student at starbucks.

--------------------------------

 I started playing 2 puzzle games recently.

This game is addictive but can get disgustingly difficult
I just started playing this one recently, so I'm only at level 36. I have a friend who is at somewhere like level 181 there about. I was stuck at level 23 for a while man...and a few levels after that as well. DO NOT start playing this game if you value time!!!

Another game very similar to the above is:




Yeah almost the same thing as Candy Crush but slightly different. Actually the main difference I see so far is one has candy, the other has jewels. Also with Candy Crush you can get help from friends on facebook. But with Jewel Mania this is not possible. I would say candy Crush is a bit more difficult though...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1891 ( Hello Work Shinjuku, Tokyo / Tumblr Sold To Yahoo)
Thursday, May 23, 2013

Today was my day off. But I'm still trying to get a job in the Kansai area so I went to a job agency in Shinjuku, Tokyo today. Luckily there was an English speaker there because I didn't understand quite a few of the stuff that the interviewer was saying. I stayed there for almost 3 hours and all I got were vacancies in Nagoya to apply for. Nothing in Kansai at this time.


--------------------------------



Tumblr CEO on $1.1 billion Yahoo deal



Tumblr Inc. Chief Executive Officer David Karp, a 26-year-old who started the company in 2007, signed a note announcing Yahoo! Inc.’s $1.1 billion acquisition with the closing, “F-ck yeah.”
Beyond just expressing elation, Karp was making a statement that the New York-based company will retain its distinctive and irreverent character under a new owner. The phrase is common parlance at the social-media upstart, used in the titles of some of its most popular blogs. In its own statement on the deal, Yahoo echoed the idea of giving Karp and Tumblr a wide berth, saying it “promises not to screw it up.”
“Our headquarters isn’t moving. Our team isn’t changing. Our road map isn’t changing,” Karp said. “Our mission — to empower creators to make their best work and get it in front of the audience they deserve — certainly isn’t changing.”

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/05/26/business/a-big-f-ck-yeah-from-26-year-old-tumblr-ceo-on-1-1-billion-yahoo-deal/#.UaNfy6LqjoJ


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1892 ( Germany, the Most Influential Country in the World )
Friday, May 24, 2013

Again, no classes at my main school because of mid term exam. So this time I made good use of my free time by studying some Japanese. I should be doing a mock test on June 16. And the real thing on July 7.

--------------------------------


Germany tops Japan in popularity poll






Germany is the most popular country in the world again in terms of “global influence,” with Japan dropping from first to fourth place, an annual poll for the BBC World Service revealed Thursday.
More than 26,000 people from around the world were asked to rate 16 countries on whether their global influence was “mainly positive” or “mainly negative.”
Some 59 percent of those polled rated Germany as having a positive influence, while at the other end of the spectrum, Iran came last with only 15 percent looking upon it favorably.
A three-point increase in Germany’s average rating returned it to the top of the BBC list, displacing Japan, which saw its positive ratings drop from 58 percent to 51 percent.
Germany, which has led the poll every year except for 2012 since its first inclusion in 2008, regained the top spot despite well-publicized protests over its insistence on austerity measures within the European Union.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/05/24/world/germany-tops-japan-in-popularity-poll/#.UaNTS6LqjoJ


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1893 ( Snitch )
Saturday, May 25, 2013

Did my usual 3 classes today at the YMCA. It always amazes me how I'm exhausted during the week, but after my final class on Saturdays, I suddenly start getting bored. So when I got home, I slept a bit, then watched a movie called snitch. Starring "The rock".




My friends in Jamaica recommended this movie, so I watched it. Decent acting for the most part, it's just strange to watch "the rock" being used like a pawn. Action was ok enough but some parts were predictable. The story was very interesting though and you always want to know what's coming next. I give it a 7.5/10

My friends also introduced this new way of how to rate movies... I liked it but added some more to it for my personal rating scheme... Here it is...


1 - Don't waste your time (watch at your own risk/peril)

2 - Watch while doing chores (if  you miss parts, no big deal)

3 - Cable Worthy (Exactly what you think it means, wait until its out on cable)

4 - DVD Worthy (Wait until the DVD is out)

5 - Download/Stream Worthy (Want to see a movie badly? Don't want to waste money? Are you ok with stealing/downloading and/or sharing/streaming movies? If your answer is yes to any or all of these, then this is for you.... I have a feeling many people fall into this category)

6 - Theater Worthy ( But don't buy any pop corn or hot dog )

7 - Opening Night/3D Glasses Theater Worthy (Pre-book your ticket because you know this is going to be awesome. Pay the extra for 3D glasses and by some pop corn and hot dog for added pleasure)

The only movies that got 7 for me were :

Avatar, 

The Matrix (Part 1 only), 

Lord of the Rings (Part 3 only),

Inception

Avengers

Transformers (Part 1 only)

Star Trek (2009)

Snitch that I saw today got a 5.

No comments: