A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Saturday, August 17, 2013

On TV Tokyo / Niimi Festival 2013


Japanese Sentence of the week - Irashai mase / いらしゃいませ/Welcome (to our shop) 

2 weeks

I'm still alive just mad busy even in Summer.

Days 1957 - 1970
Sunday, July 28 - Saturday, August 10, 2013

Day 1957 (US Issues Warning on travel)
Sunday, July 28, 2013















Stayed in today then went on the beach in the evening with my friend to watch a concert sort of thing.

-----------------------------------------

U.S. issues global warning on travel

Al-Qaida threat to Western interests intercepted


The United States has issued an extraordinary global travel warning to Americans about the threat of an al-Qaida attack and closed down 21 embassies and consulates across the Muslim world for the weekend.

The alert was the first of its kind since an announcement preceding the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. An attack last year on a U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11 killed the ambassador and three other Americans.

“There is a significant threat stream, and we’re reacting to it,” said Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He told ABC in an interview to be aired Sunday that the threat was “more specific” than previous ones and the “intent is to attack Western, not just U.S., interests.” The warning said al-Qaida or its allies might target either U.S. government or private American interests.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/08/03/world/u-s-issues-global-warning-on-travel/#.UgcERdKovE1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1958 ( Political Stunt Angers Japan )
Monday, July 29, 2013

Had lunch at a Thai restaurant with my co-worker in Yokohama at noon today. That was all for today.

-----------------------------------------

Political stunt in Korea game angers Japan

Protest lodged with soccer body over huge banner in crowd




Japan has lodged a protest with the East Asian Football Federation demanding an investigation into a politically charged banner that was displayed at the East Asian Cup finale against South Korea on Sunday.

During the match in Seoul, which Japan won 2-1 with an injury-time goal, South Korean supporters raised a long horizontal banner referring to Japan’s 1910-45 colonial rule over the Korean Peninsula that read: “There is no future for a race oblivious to history.”

The banner, which stretched across a wide section of the stands and was written in Hangul, was displayed for about an hour from kickoff.

“I was hoping something like this would not occur this time, so it’s unfortunate,” Japan Football Association chief Kuniya Daini said Monday. “We ask the East Asian federation to thoroughly investigate the matter and act in the appropriate fashion.”
Daini said that he asked the organizer during halftime to have the banner taken away.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/07/29/national/political-stunt-in-korea-game-angers-japan/#.UgcPodKovE1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1959 ( Lost My Suica Card )
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Did nothing in the day then did 2 classes at Komatsu in the evening.

So there is this card well several cards actually that you can store money on to take trains and some buses in Japan. I have a card name Suica. There is also one called Pasmo and another called Icoca which is more popular in western Japan.


You can put money on these cards as needed, in order to pass through the gates to take the train. So because on Tuesdays, I do quite a bit of traveling, so I use this card a lot. After my final class, I swiped the card on the bus, then when I got to the train gate to swipe the card again, there was no card. I re traced my steps but I still couldn't find it :( there was 3000 yen / US$ 30 on the card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1960 ( Research For Spring Ting 2014 -YMCA Campus )
Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Met my Uzbek co-worker on the train then we went to Misakiguchi along with my Jamaican friend and a Japanese co-worker from my main school. My Japanese co-worker said he knew about a camping area owned by the YMCA where we could possibly host our Jamaican Spring Ting camp event next year. So my friends came along with us to view the area.


The campus is huge and can hold up to 300 campers at several different locations on the campus. We walked around the campus to get a good view.




We queried about the location extensively. It would be perfect! and its cheap, near to a beach, has cooking facilities or we can ask them to provide breakfast etc if we don't want to cook.






But !!!! 1 Thing!!!! We can't make too much noise!! Because houses are not too far away. And Jamaicans... LOVE NOISE!!!  Also the beach won't be of much use at the end of April (Spring Ting Time) , which is still cold in Japan.

So I'm still searching around for other possible locations in the general Kanto area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1961 ( My new Addiction - Wind Runner )
Thursday, August 1, 2013

Had my business lady private student today. We spoke mostly about my trip to Singapore. I then took an expensive shinkansen trip to Kyoto and learnt some very shocking news. Too shocking to share.

--------------------------------------------

I found a new i-phone craze. I play it mainly on long trips or if I have a few minutes to spare. Its called wind surfer. Before this, my addiction was candy crusher.


I'm coming for you too Vany
Ooh and Atsuko is one of my bosses

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1962 ( On TV Tokyo Representing Jamaica!!! )
Friday, August 2, 2013



Had vegan lunch today for the first time in my life. It tasted a bit weird but it wasn't too bad over all.


Went to an hospital to do some check ups then learnt in the night that I was on TV again. I didn't get to see it live because I was out. I did record it at my apartment though. So welcome readers, to my apartment....






And here is the video if you missed it. Enjoy my madness!!!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1963 ( Jamaican Restaurant in Gion, Kyoto )
Saturday, August 3, 2013

Went to Rub-A-Dub, the Jamaican restaurant in Kyoto. Met the owner of a Jamaican bar that I was advertising in my apartment and didn't even know.

The Ad up top is for the Jamaican bar
in Gion, Kyoto


And here is the owner of the Jamaican bar in Gion ..... tadaaaa!!!







He may not look it but....
Believe it or not.... He is a restaurant/bar owner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1964 (  )
Sunday, August 4, 2013

Went back home by shinkansen... can I say EXPENSIVE!!! US $120 one way. Its cheaper to travel around Asia than to travel within Japan... Weird.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1965 ( My Crazy Main Job / US Strikes Al-Quaida in Yemen )
Monday, August 5, 2013

Had a summer YMCA gig today for about 1 hour 30 mins. One group of beginner students in 2nd and 3rd grade. Then a second set of intermediate kids from 4th to 6th grade.

Recently, my main job has been calling me frantically for some unknown reason IN THE SUMMER!!! So I called back to check what it was... Only to realize that they wanted me to do an "extra job" in August. I said yes.... My friend then warned me that I probably won't be getting pad. So I called them back to clear up any misunderstandings. Only to find out they wanted me to work for free!!! When I could be getting extra cash from another side job... Heck NO!!!! I cancelled instantly. If I do it or not it would be a half salary thing for August... I rather hustle around and collect here and there than do something for the day and get nothing in return.

--------------------------------------------------

U.S. buys time in Yemen with drone strikes


The Obama administration authorized a series of drone strikes in Yemen over the past 10 days as part of an effort to disrupt an al-Qaida terrorism plot that has forced the closure of American embassies around the world, U.S. officials said.

The officials said the revived drone campaign — with five strikes in rapid succession — is directly related to intelligence indicating that al-Qaida’s leader has urged the group’s Yemen affiliate to attack Western targets.

The strikes have ended a period in which U.S. drone activity in the Arabian Peninsula has been relatively rare, following a seven-week stretch with no strikes.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/08/07/world/u-s-buys-time-in-yemen-with-drone-strikes/#.Ug9z19KovE0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1966 ( Happy Independence Day Jamaica 51 )
Tuesday, August 6, 2013



Today is a holiday in Jamaica. It was 51 years ago in 1962 when we were recognized as a independent nation from England.


--------------------------------------------------

Had the 2 classes at YMCA similar to yesterday. Just taught some random stuff and let the kids had a good time then ate lunch with them. Later on I went to Hiratsuka to teach the Komatsu group. Only 1 student came for the intermediate group while no one showed up for the advanced group, so I left 30 mins earlier than normal. Trust me, that makes a difference with the bus system.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1967 ( Soccer after 1 year )
Wednesday, August 7, 2013



After spending a looong day at the Y, I had to run to catch my Wednesday evening student who I haven't seen in 3 weeks. He went on work related trips to Alaska then to California over a 3 week period. I then had to grab some food and quickly purchased a 900 yen pair of shoes to go play soccer in. Well, I haven't played soccer in a year, so I am wondering how this is going to go.

I was about 30 mins late to meet the guy who was introducing me to soccer in Yokohama. I was extremely tired but I wanted to play. It started at 9pm.

This is how I looked after the first 5 mins of play.


I was exhausted to say the least. Eventually I got back into it though and even scored 2 goals. Here is the crew.



It was exhausting fun!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1968 ( Back to Niimi <where I lived for 3 years> with train delays )
Thursday, August 8, 2013



Caught my first train from Yokohama at 6:31am this morning and started my loooong local trains only trip back to Niimi. This is my 3rd time doing this 14 hour trip. But this time, there was a delay in Okayama city. The final leg of the Yokohama to Niimi trip. I got delayed for about 2 hours in Okayama. I do this because it cost only US $25 as against US $150 if I took the speed train. I have time so I trade off time for the money.

I eventually got to Niimi at 10:00pm. What's that 15 hrs and 30 mins of travelling ???? Then to top it off, my phone battery died so I couldn't call the lady who I was going to stay with. So I walked from the train station in Niimi ... to Jenny's house which took an additional 40 mins. I know I am crazy.

Jenny said I could have used a pay phone to call her but (1) I don't know how to use the Japanese pay phones. Not the slightest clue. (2) I don't have Jenny's number written down anywhere. Well I do, but that book is back in Yokohama.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1969 ( Dinner With Niimi Friends )
Friday, August 9, 2013

Stayed in for most of the day because I was too tired from the long trip yesterday. However, in the evening, my friend Kiyoshi and his English conversation group (that I was a part of) had a little dinner session for me. It was good to see old friends again.



After the dinner, I visited the darts bar that I once frequented when I was in Niimi. The bar owner said he saw me on TV a few times.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1970 ( 2013 Niimi Home Town Festival )
Saturday, August 10, 2013

Today is the grand day of the festival. The main reason why I go back to Niimi yearly. This is the ONLY time that I can get to see a whole bunch of friends, old co-workers, former students, people who hate me, people who love me etc. at one big gathering. Maybe 10,000 peeps or more yearly.


First thing I did today was meet up with my old friend Shomura sensei, who was a co-star in my TV show when I was in Niimi. I went to his house and met his brother, mother and nephew. He worked with the Niimi Board of Education for 6 years And was the president for the teacher's section of the Board of education for a year or 2. He is now out of the board of education and is a principal for an elementary school.


Also met up with Justin who has been living in Japan for 10 years!!! 3 years of which was in Niimi. He is the Caucasian guy to the right.

After about 2 hrs at Shomura sensei's house, he dropped me back at Jenny, then Jenny dropped me at the matsuri, where I of course met many old friends. My Jamaican friend Raul and Chiyoko who I met in Jamaica also came along. Raul was living in a prefecture called Toyama, but because the cold was messing with his asthma, he requested a warmer area. So they sent him to Okayama. I spent 30 mins trying to direct Chiyoko and Raul to the matsuri then another 30 mins greeting old friends while walking to the matsuri.

Don't be angry he isn't serious





Old students playing Yugioh

My karate teacher


Old Students


Good old friend, darts and karate partner - Andrew

Canadian friends

Old vice principal friend
I'm glad I left when they moved him from my main school
He is one of my best friends



More old students

Here is the video for this year...Crazy Jamaicans




After the matsuri, we were hungry so I stopped at another old friend, but he was full. So we went to another restaurant afterwards.


That was it for this years Niimi festival... Always fun, laughter and enjoyment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments: