A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Thursday, October 31, 2013

5 Things Nobody Tells You About Living in Japan / Sexless Japan really?

Days 2045 - 2051
Thursday, October 24 - Wednesday, October 30, 2013


Day 2045 ( New Niece / New Business Plan / New Wheat grass )
Thursday, October 24, 2013

My sister was pregnant. I wasn't saying anything until the baby arrived and she was fine publicizing it. So now since she did, its fine for me to share. Welcome Suri, my niece...born October 3, 2013. So finally my mom is a grand mother.


----------------------------------------



Today my private student ( The business woman ) gave me homework .... What? The student giving the teacher Homework? Yeah she did. She said I should come up with a business plan and she can enter me into a Japanese Government sponsored competition where the best/most feasible business plan will be given a small loan to start a business. I have some ideas circling in my head but can't think of the most feasible one.

----------------------------------------

The wheat grass medicine thing that I bought in Singapore ran out. I had no idea there was something similar in Japan. I found it in a store near to where I do my English conversation lessons on Wednesdays.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 2046 ( Happy Birthday mom and my friend Andrew / Big Earthquake )
Friday, October 25, 2013

Today is my mom's and a good friend of mine's birthday. Gave both of them greetings from Japan.

Here is my mom's birthday present

------------------------------------

Had a brief talk with a final year high school student today. She went to America as an exchange student for a year. Now she is back in Japan and I can feel her pain of having to return to an almost "one way thinking" society. You can see that she wants to return to the US. Afterwards I met 2 Jamaican girls while on my way to the YMCA. One of them, I was in contact with for over a year online while she was in Jamaica. She came to Japan in March but was living in the deep country side of Chiba, 2 hours outside of Tokyo. My company relocated her to this area just yesterday. Good to have another Jamaican around this side....


Saw the ladies in the back looking at us, afterwards

------------------------------------------

I felt this earthquake today ....

7.3 ‘aftershock’ rattles Tohoku

Small tsunami hit coastline but no damage reported



A magnitude 7.3 earthquake struck in the Pacific off the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear complex early Saturday, triggering small tsunami but causing no damage.

An official with the Meteorological Agency said that the powerful temblor was an aftershock of the 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami that struck the same area of the seabed on March 11, 2011, killing or leaving missing around 19,000 people and causing three core meltdowns at Fukushima No. 1.

There was no damage and only one minor injury was reported from the quake, which occurred at 2:10 a.m., according to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency of the internal affairs ministry.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/10/26/national/m7-earthquake-shakes-tohoku-coast/#.UnID7HBkOF9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2047 ( Halloween Event #1 / 5 Things Nobody Tells You About Living in Japan )
Saturday, October 26, 2013

Went to the usual YMCA classes, went home a bit then to the Hakkei YMCA for an Halloween event. There was another teacher there who I know. I read a story to them, then the other teacher used some flash cards and called the names of stuff like "monster", "skeleton", "jack-o-lantern" etc. After talking for a bit, I was unsure what next to do. I was searching for my boss and the other teacher, they both disappeared  leaving me alone with the mic in front of the parents and students.  Some kids were afraid of my mask ... lol it was funny watching this one kid walking around observing me and fake crying....







We then carved out pumpkins (my first time) to make Jack-o-lanterns, then went out trick or treating. The YMCA already pre-planned with the businesses in the area. So we walked around with the kids for about 45 mins going to random shops in the area.

----------------------------------------

Saw this article that my friend Deneise shared  from cracked.com .... Almost every bit of it is true about Japan.

5 Things Nobody Tells You About Living in Japan

#5. Everything Is Frightfully Low-Tech


Quick question: When was the last time you had to use a fax machine?*
*"What is a fax machine?" is an entirely acceptable response.
Getty
"Some sort of ... sex toy?"
Well, you should try moving to Japan if you want to recapture the magic of the fax machine and other 1990s technology. I actually use one about twice a month to send out my work invoices, because many of the Japanese companies that employ me do not accept paperwork by email. The rare ones that do require that my Word/Excel files be compatible with their 1998 version of Microsoft Office, which is sort of like requiring your Avengers Blu-ray to play on a Betamax machine.
My point is, on the surface Japan seems like the closest thing Earth currently has to a moon base, what with their stock exchange being entirely computerized and wireless Internet literally coming out of their vending machines.
Asahi Soft Drinks Co. and Chris 73 / Wikipedia Commons
Neither of those things are jokes.
But the truth is, many things are still being done in painfully old-fashioned ways, a phrase which here means "by hand and on paper." Actually, having seen the amount of paper a typical Japanese office goes through, I feel safe in assuming that the entire country has declared a shadow war on both the information age and trees.
How can this be? Well, Japan is still mainly in the hands of the older generation: Over a fourth of the population is over 60, and they're in no particular hurry to adopt new technology (particularly not Apple products, because as far as Japan is concerned, Steve Jobs can go fuck himself). Institutions like banks, the postal service and government offices still keep all of their records on paper, maintained and filed by superfluous personnel who could easily be replaced by an old Soviet computer (which incidentally is more or less what a friend of mine at a Yokohama municipal office was using at his workstation as recently as 2010).
Many businesses still don't even accept credit cards. A Japanese airline can get you to any corner of the globe without a hassle, so long as you're paying in cash, even if the tickets come up to a few thousand dollars each (and I wish I wasn't speaking from experience). This is made even more difficult by the fact that I don't think I've ever seen a 24-hour ATM anywhere in Japan.
Koichi Kamoshida / Getty
"We're proud to announce the launch of a new debit card, usable only in this room and only for the next 11 minutes."
That's right; most banks in Japan keep their ATMs indoors, which means that once the banks close (typically around 6 p.m.), so do the machines, utterly defeating their entire purpose for existing. It's another extension of that technological resistance -- pretty much anywhere outside of Tokyo harbors a deep generational resentment for automation. They don't want the ATMs operational while there aren't any bank employees around to help in case something goes wrong (although outside of users being clubbed with a thermos and robbed, the list of possible mishaps is embarrassingly short). You can always try an ATM at a convenience store (the number of which currently exceeds the national population), if you don't mind the variable transaction fees that seemingly change at random. And that's only if your ATM card will even work in machines outside of your bank, which it almost certainly won't.
Tokyo360.net
The damn thing even looks like a 1980s fever dream of the future.
Of course, the best time to find out whether the 7-Eleven around the corner accepts your card is after 1 a.m., when all of the public transport has stopped and you desperately need money for a taxi. Basically, if you're planning on doing anything at all besides going to and from work, you need to keep fistfuls of cash either on your person at all times or piled under a mattress in your freezing apartment.
Wait, why is your apartment freezing? Because ...

#4. The Houses Have No Heat



Read the other 4 at the link below

http://www.cracked.com/article_20118_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-living-in-japan.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2048 ( Halloween Events #2 and #3 / Poka Pang)
Sunday, October 27, 2013

Went to another Halloween event at another YMCA. Halloween is getting increasingly popular in Japan. Every year it gets bigger and bigger. And I am getting paid for these things :) last year I had only 1 event with only like 5 or 6 kids... This year, 2 events with a total of about 35 kids.



This time we made a big Jack-o-Lantern. It was much easier to carve than the smaller ones from yesterday. After this, I ran to another event that was planned by one of the guys I play soccer with sometime. It was kinda quiet but interesting at the same time.




That's me


 
I even gained a new English conversation student.

------------------------------------------------

Started playing this game recently called poko pang on the i-phone. It is interesting and a bit addictive. You can only get it if you have an application known as LINE. Almost every Japanese has it. It is similar to whatsapp.


You can compete against people on your LINE friend's list. And every week there is a new competition, like some of those facebook games.


My friend Vany, who is nothing short of a gaming prodigy got a score that I have never seen before ....




I'm not even on my own top 10 list...That's terrible... need to step my game up literally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2049 ( Foreign Females not Safe in Japan )
Monday, October 28, 2013

Found out last week that one of the YMCAs I work at was short paying me since April. I can only assume that it is human error. I called it to their attention and I should be receiving the amount that got miss calculated. Why is the mistake always less money and not more?

------------------------------------------

Made a huge decision today that made me really sad but think it was the best thing to do right now. sigh ..... Anyway had one class at the same YMCA that was short changing me. I knew the kids wanted to run around on the roof again but I told them nooooo. Now every week they are going to want this to be a part of their lesson.

------------------------------------------


Japan: no safe country for foreign women

A Tokyoite reassesses her view of Japan after another violent encounter is ignored by passers-by, police




I’ve lived in Japan on and off for several years, and I’ve always felt safe on my bicycle here, particularly as I often see young and old women alike biking at all hours of the night. But after an event a few weeks ago, I feel as if this false sense of security has been stripped away.

Cycling home at 8:30 p.m. on a well-lit street in Tokyo, I sensed another biker by my side, so I slowed down to let him pass. At that point he suddenly cut over, trapped me against a parked car and grabbed my tire.

He began yelling at me in Japanese, but the only thing I could clearly understand was “You stole this bicycle!” I insisted that I had not and tried to pull away, but the man was strong and continued yanking on my bike. I bought it from a shop brand-new, so I knew it wasn’t stolen. I also didn’t believe that it was my bicycle he wanted.

I yelled, both in English and Japanese, “Help! Call the police!” Many people observed the fracas but did nothing to help. He pulled me across a street full of traffic, briefly blocking cars, but almost everyone just seemed to ignore it.

It felt like hours of struggling, but then a young woman on a bicycle appeared. By now I must have had tears streaming down my face and my voice was almost gone. She said to me calmly: “I know this man. You stole this bicycle. I’m calling the police.”

Were this man and this girl working together? Or was it just so believable that a foreigner could have stolen the bike that she instinctively believed him? And if they were a team, what did they want?
You can read more here ...

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2013/10/23/voices/japan-no-safe-country-for-foreign-women/#.UnIe-nBkOF9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2050 ( No Sex in Japan ... Sort of)
Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Usual busy Tuesdays. One of my students in the the intermediate group for business English is getting married on Saturday. His best friend is in the advanced group. His best friend was the only one who came to class today from the advanced group. We have quite a bit in common so we spoke for more than one hour about random stuff. He said he was the one who introduced my other student to his fiance. But my other student is really nervous and having marriage blues!!!

---------------------------------------------

Found this article quite interesting.....

Why have young people in Japan stopped having sex?                                  

What happens to a country when its young people stop having sex? Japan is finding out… Abigail Haworth investigates
Arm’s length: 45% of Japanese women aged 16-24 are ‘not interested in or despise sexual contact’. More than a quarter of men feel the same way. Photograph: Eric Rechsteiner


Ai Aoyama is a sex and relationship counsellor who works out of her narrow three-storey home on a Tokyo back street. Her first name means "love" in Japanese, and is a keepsake from her earlier days as a professional dominatrix. Back then, about 15 years ago, she was Queen Ai, or Queen Love, and she did "all the usual things" like tying people up and dripping hot wax on their nipples. Her work today, she says, is far more challenging. Aoyama, 52, is trying to cure what Japan's media callssekkusu shinai shokogun, or "celibacy syndrome".

Japan's under-40s appear to be losing interest in conventional relationships. Millions aren't even dating, and increasing numbers can't be bothered with sex. For their government, "celibacy syndrome" is part of a looming national catastrophe. Japan already has one of the world's lowest birth rates. Its population of 126 million, which has been shrinking for the past decade, is projected to plunge a further one-third by 2060. Aoyama believes the country is experiencing "a flight from human intimacy" – and it's partly the government's fault.

The sign outside her building says "Clinic". She greets me in yoga pants and fluffy animal slippers, cradling a Pekingese dog whom she introduces as Marilyn Monroe. In her business pamphlet, she offers up the gloriously random confidence that she visited North Korea in the 1990s and squeezed the testicles of a top army general. It doesn't say whether she was invited there specifically for that purpose, but the message to her clients is clear: she doesn't judge.
you can read the rest here.....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/20/young-people-japan-stopped-having-sex

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2051 ( Exhausted Day )
Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Today was a long and exhausting day. But enjoyable. I went to bed at 4:30 am finishing some lesson plans, and submitting an assignment. I woke up at 9 then had classes from 10:50 - 3:50. I voluntarily took on 2 new English conversation students from 3rd year. I won't be paid but hey, its always good to help there in the school when I can. The atmosphere is so different at high school when compared to the elementary schools. The teachers may challenge your English ability at times but they have respect for us and  value our opinions. At the elementary schools, you are mostly seen as a puppet or a giant foreign toy.

Anyway, after teaching at the high school, I had YMCA from 4:30 - 5:45. I stayed until 6:00 pm chatting with an English teacher who has been married to a Japanese for over 20 years... He was giving me some sound advice and told me about his experiences so far. After I left the YMCA I had my English conversation student from 7 - 8. Then the killer.... I played soccer from 9 - 11..... I was dragging myself on the field. I scored only 1 goal.... A girl there scored like 11 goals ..... I got in like 12:20 am. What a life.



2 comments:

Arlene A. Henry said...

Dave, it's been ages since I read your blog but I must say it was pretty interesting and an eye opener. You are really making your life meaningful there. Good for you.

davay colly said...

Arlene... thanks for stopping by. yeah I'm hanging in there... not all fun but doing my best ... Rough sometimes but anywhere is the same I gather.