A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Dispelling the Myths About Jamaicans / Congratulations Tessanne Chin

Days 2094 - 2100
Thursday, December 12 - Wednesday, December 18, 2013  


Day 2094 ( Business Plan / Welcome Back to Japan E / Abe Forced Through Secret Bill  )
Thursday, December 12, 2013

Had my business woman private student today. I told her all the stuff that has been happening in my life recently and she was laughing uncontrollably .... Some of these stuff I of course don't share on my blog... Can't let you all know too much. I also told her of my business plan which has already started. Watching it now. I know it will be successful though :)

Later on I went to Shibuya to meet an old friend who was living in Niimi as well. Actually 2 friends from Niimi. I introduced them to some Jamaican cuisine.

Us back then in Niimi 2008

Us today
--------------------------------------

Abe defends state secret law, but says he could have explained it better




Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Monday defended as “necessary” an unpopular secrets law that he rushed through the Diet, but admitted he could have explained it better. However, he insisted that it was a vital step to protect Japan and bring it into line with its allies.

“Unless our country establishes rules to manage confidential information, we cannot obtain such information from other countries,” he told reporters. “In order to protect people’s lives and property, it was necessary to pass the special secrecy law as quickly as possible.”

The bill, which vastly broadens the scope of information that ministers can designate as a state secret, was railroaded through both chambers in just a month, thanks to the handsome majority Abe commands in the two houses.

Supporters have claimed Japan’s notoriously leaky government machine needs to be plugged to help support the creation of a new U.S.-style National Security Council, and to encourage ally Washington to share its secrets.

But journalists, lawyers, academics and rights groups say the law is illiberal and represents “the largest threat to democracy in postwar Japan”. They claim it undermines press freedoms and the public’s right to know.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/abe-defends-state-secret-law-says-he-could-have-explaiend-it-better?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2013-12-10_AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2095 ( New born Left In Front of Orphanage with Money )
Friday, December 13, 2013

Did nothing at work today except read a book. After which I went to the YMCA and did my final class with the Jr. High schoolers before winter break. I gave them some sweets for answering some questions correctly.

When I got home, I ordered 2 PS3 games that I knew I would enjoy playing, because I have a feeling that this winter is going to be cold and lonely, just like winter in 2010 :(. My saddest winter in Japan to date. One of the things that prompted me to re-locate to Yokohama.

--------------------------------------


Newborn boy left in front of orphanage with money




Police in Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture, said Tuesday that a newborn baby boy was left abandoned at the entrance to an orphanage early Monday morning.

According to police, the infant was found by a small group of children who live at the orphanage, TV Asahi reported. Weighing only 2,860 grams, the infant still had his umbilical cord attached and was wrapped in a jacket and small blanket, orphanage officials said.

Attached to the jacket was an envelope with a letter reading simply, “Onegaishimasu” (Please help) in katakana, along with 10,000 yen. The child was taken to hospital and is in a stable condition, police said.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/newborn-boy-left-in-front-of-orphanage-with-money-and-onegaishimasu-letter?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2013-12-10_PM

There are 2 ways to look at the above story:

i) That the mother is uncaring and careless and should have grown her kid, regardless of her financial standing.

ii) That the mother is a good mother and at least she did the child a favour and made it live. And possibly not suffer a harsher life under her parentage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2096 ( Assassin's Creed and God of War / Tokyo Governor Gives Up 1 Year of His Salary )
Saturday, December 14, 2013

Today was my last Saturday class at the YMCA for this year. I again gave the kids some sweets and allowed them to have a good time in the class.

Later on I received the 2 games I ordered yesterday.

Assassin's Creed - Revelations




and God of War - Ascension 



These are probably going to be my best friends over the winter vacation :( but they too will get boring after a while. I miss you .........................

--------------------------------------

Tokyo Gov Inose to forego salary for one year




Tokyo Governor Naoki Inose says he will forego his salary for one year to atone for trouble he caused after it came to light that he received a 50 million yen loan from the scandal-hit medical group Tokushukai before his election last December.

Inose, 67, announced his decision at a news conference late Monday after being questioned for four hours by the general affairs committee of the Tokyo metropolitan assembly.

Inose reiterated that he received the loan for personal reasons and that he did not have to report it because it did not constitute election campaign funds. Under the Japanese election law, campaign treasurers must report all income, such as donations, related to electioneering.

Inose said that he was offered the money by the Tokudas, the family running the powerful medical group Tokushukai, although Japanese media have reported that it was Inose himself who reached out to the Tokuda family and asked for 100 million yen before the election.

Takeshi Tokuda, a lower house member, relayed Inose’s request to his father and the founder of the medical group, Torao Tokuda, who then provided 50 million yen without collateral or interest, NHK said.
http://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/tokyo-gov-inose-to-forego-salary-for-one-year?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2013-12-10_PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2097 ( Writer's Block Second Anniversary )
Sunday, December 15, 2013


Recently I have been dreaming about all kinda of strange things. None of them good. I even dreamed that some strange alien/monster was chasing me and I had to jump out of some sort of tree (possibly to my death) to avoid it catching me. I woke up instantly. The worst thing is that I remember these dreams.


Anyway, today was the second anniversary of the poetry thing that is normally held every month in Tokyo. I perform there occasionally. But as I mentioned sometime ago, this year I took a huge pay cut in order to basically expand my portfolio by teaching high school part-time. So I haven't been there since like February. I decided that I wasn't going to miss the second anniversary though. So I went there with 2 friends.


It was pretty well attended and had various styles of poetic pieces. There was some singing as well but my friends had to leave so I had to go with them before the singing started.















Photos courtesy of Writer's Block Tokyo and Marcellus of Ohio.

--------------------------------------------

While heading home. I was on the train with my friend, when a guy 2 seats away from me vomited. The person beside him (luckily  it was his friend) got his clothes all messed up. The person next to his friend also got a little splash. I am wondering what I would have done if I was the person next to him........


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2098 ( Dispelling the Myths About Jamaicans )
Monday, December 16, 2013

Today was my last class at the YMCA before winter vacation. So I allowed the kids to make a Christmas poster and to draw a Christmas story on the white board.


--------------------------------------------

Dispelling the Myths About Jamaica and Jamaicans

1) Jamaica is NOT in Africa - This is especially for many Asians and Eastern Europeans that know nothing about the Caribbean. And for whatever reason, most Jamaicans want to be recognized as a Jamaican and not African. Just like how Japanese don't want to be recognized as a Chinese or Korean and how Greeks don't want to be recognized as Turkish. Though we can't tell the difference.



2) We DON'T all smoke weed - I've never smoked weed in my entire life. Neither do I have any interest in doing. Smoking is just not my thing. As far as I know, none of my family members ever done this before. I do have friends who do it occasionally however.


3) NOT everywhere in Jamaica is Dangerous - Just like anywhere in the world, there are also dangerous places in Jamaica as well. But generally speaking, if you stay away from the danger zones and just don't be stupid, you are pretty much fine.

Here maybe dangerous


Here is quite safe

4) We are NOT all black - Yes majority of us has black ancestry but most of us also are mixed with some other race. 1% of the population is Chinese, we have Jews, Syrians, Europeans, Indians... Its a big mixture of people and cultures.


My friend M...Who is of African, Jewish and European ancestry
My cousin with African and Syrian ancestry
5) We DON'T all lay on the beach and be lazy - Well there are some lazy Jamaicans that don't want to work or do anything for that matter. However, the Jamaicans who are serious, we work hard and long


Not all of us do this
Honestly... not all of us!!

6) We DON'T have straw houses - Unless it's a hut or a shop or something like that, there are no building made of straw.

You probably won't see a house like this in Jamaica

We do have these though


7) Most of us know about Bob Marley but DON'T know him personally - He died in 1981, I wasn't even 1 yet.



8) A good amount of us either never saw or don't remember about the movie Cool Runnings - In my case, I remember watching the movie years ago but for the life of me, I can't remember it's contents. It was too long ago!! The only thing I remember about it is some Jamaicans entering bob sleigh which is a winter sport, but we don't have winter in Jamaica.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 2099 ( Congratulations Tessanne Chin )
Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Posted some gifts to an orphanage in India today. Read some stuff at my high school today then went to Hiratsuka for business English lessons. Only 1 student showed up for each group.


------------------------------------

Jamaican Tessanne Chin Wins The Voice 

So I never knew about this "The voice" thing until people started posting on facebook about Tessanne Chin entering it.


It is a reality singing competition which is broadcasted on NBC in America. So most if not all Japanese living in Japan have no clue about this TV program. The aim is to scout for new talent with the winner receiving US$100,000 plus a record deal with Universal Music Group.

Anyway, long and short, a Jamaican - Tessanne Chin won this year. So all of Jamaica celebrated her winning.....



Tessanne and Celine Dion
Half Way Tree, Jamaica when Tessanne won the voice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2100 ( Man steal over 18 million to feed his cats )
Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Did another I-pad lesson today. This time for the 3rd year students. It went smoothly for the first say 40 mins. The last 10 mins they started to get a bit restless. Lots of chatter and laughter. But overall it still went well.

Later on I had dinner at Good Wood Terrace Jamaican restaurant in Shibuya.

------------------------------------------

Burglar stole Y18.5 mil worth of items during year to feed 120 cats




A Japanese man went on a year-long burglary spree, making off with a haul worth 18.5 million yen to feed 120 cats a gourmet diet, police said Thursday.

Mamoru Demizu, 48, is suspected of breaking into houses to steal cash and jewels on 32 separate occasions.

He told police that he stole things to come up with the money to feed scores of his feline friends, spending up to 25,000 yen a day, an officer said.

“He said he felt happiest when he rubbed his cheek against cats,” the officer said.

Unemployed Demizu kept one animal at his home in Izumi City, and about 20 in a nearby warehouse, while feeding 100 more strays that lived in the neighborhood, the police said.

“He would give them fresh fish and chicken, not cheap canned food,” he said.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/man-says-he-stole-y18-5-mil-during-year-to-feed-120-cats?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2013-12-13_AM


No comments: