A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, December 9, 2013

Patois/Patwa (Jamaican Dialect) Translated to English and Japanese Part 2

Days 2080 - 2086
Thursday, November 28 - Wednesday, December 4, 2013  


Day 2080 ( Beyonce in Jamaica )
Thursday, November 28, 2013

Had 2 substitute classes today at the YMCA. One of them was a class of 3 adults. I asked them to tell me 3 things they liked about Japan and 3 they didn't like. The general answers for likes was what anyone who living in Japan can guess.....

Likes
(1) safety

(2) the 4 clear seasons (I'm sure this is not only Japan)

(3) low poverty level


Dislikes

(1) high suicide rate

(2) they can't fully know when another Japanese is being genuine or not. (I thought this was only foreigners)

(3) good customer service


-----------------------------------------------

Beyonce in Jamaica



US recording superstar Beyoncé pauses for a snapshot in Portland, Jamaica, where she stayed at the Trident Hotel and checked out the recording facilities at Geejam. 

Cooling out with, guess what? A Red Stripe, Beyoncé shared on Tumblr.


Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/PHOTO--Beyonce-cooling-out-in-Jamaica#ixzz2msGxSueG


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 2081 ( Language teachers from Jamaica making a difference in Japan )
Friday, November 29, 2013

Had a class at my main high school today then went to Western Union to send off some money home. I then had some parents visited my class at the YMCA. They enjoyed my class it seem.


-----------------------------------------------

Language teachers from Jamaica making a difference in Japan




Thirty-one year-old, Stacie Miller is among the more than 200 Jamaicans who have made the trek across the Pacific to the eastern nation of Japan over the past 13 years, to serve as assistant language teachers.

The young, talented Jamaicans are forging a path for themselves in the Far East, and making a significant difference in the lives of thousands of students, as they participate in various exchange programmes, most notably the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) programme and the Interac programme.

Miller, who migrated to Akita, Japan more than a year ago, is employed by the Daisen City Board of Education, as an assistant language teacher, where she teaches English Language at the kindergarten, primary, and junior high school levels.

Despite the initial culture shock, Miller says she has enjoyed the experience immensely.

“There have been moments when I wondered why I came to Japan, because of the differences in culture and work ethics. However, these moments are shadows in comparison to the exhilarating experiences I have had so far,” she says.

According to Miller she has not only been able to completely immerse herself in the environment, learning about the various cultural practices and customs, but she has also promoted ‘Brand Jamaica’.


Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/Language-teachers-from-Jamaica-making-a-difference-in-Japan#ixzz2msOvVu3L


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2082 ( Busy Saturday )
Saturday, November 30, 2013


More parents came to watch my classes at the YMCA today. Luckily the trouble making kid wasn't around today for my last class. So all went well pretty much. Afterwards, I went home a bit then to a dance performance by a group/school called Movement dance school I believe. I think they are based in Tokyo but they had their concert at Akarenga in Yokohama. I think the school focuses on Hip Hop, Rap, R & B and Reggae dances. One of my Japanese friends danced there tonight. She invited me last year but I somehow couldn't attend. I decided to go this year with some other friends.



















If you are on my instagram, twitter or facebook, you may have seen some of these pictures already. You can follow me on:

instagram - davecolly

twitter - @davecolly

Afterwards, I went to do a performance at a place in Tokyo name Ryogoku. I heard there is famous for sumo wrestling, which to date I am yet to see. When I got to the location at about 11pm, the band informed me that we would be performing at 4am !!! I instantly rebelled and let them know that I had another location to go to at around 1:30 am in Shibuya.



So they put me on at about 1 am. I did 3 pieces with background music then headed to a party in Shibuya. A couple of Jamaicans were at the party in Shibuya but it was wayyy less exciting than I anticipated.



Left Shibuya about 5 then headed back to Yokohama on a local train !!! These take long!!! So inevitably, I fell asleep and I missed my stop. First time I can recall missing my stop by falling asleep. I went back home and slept until like 3 pm Sunday morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2083 ( Captain Phillips / Patois/Patwa Translated to English and Japanese Part 2 )

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Happy Birthday Chiyoko I know you had a great day.

Today after waking up at 3pm, I watched a movie name Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks. Superb acting !!! The movie is based on a true story. It reminds me so much of life of piI however didn't like the last say 3-5 minutes of the movie. I give it a 8/10.


-----------------------------------------------

Patois/Patwa Translated to English and Japanese Part 2


I made the first list last year...

http://davecollyjap.blogspot.jp/2012/06/patoispatwa-jamaican-dialect-translated.html

And it has been my most read blog posting to date. Closing in on 10,000 visits. Here is the part 2.


(1) A wah dat? - What's that? - Nani sore?




(2) Mi naah ramp - I'm not playing around - Watashiwa asonde nai yo!
This wa in Japanese is actually ha but pronounced wa.



(3) yuh a iidiat - You are a fool - anatawa baka no hito desu.

In most cases it doesn't literally means the person is stupid or foolish but is also said sometimes in a competitve way or surprisingly a friendly way. For example a friend might say "I bet you can't call to that girl"... And the response would be "yuh a iidiat, watch and see"



(4) A joke mi a mek - I'm just kidding/joking - joudan desu.




(5) wah yuh a do? - What are you doing? - anatawa nani shiteimasuka?  


(6) A neva me / A nuh me - It wasn't me (know that song) - watashi jyanai yo.


(7) Any weh - Anywhere - doko demo


(8) Bad mind - Envious Person/Hater/Envy - urayamashii hito

Note..This can be a person or a feeling.

(9) Bad boy/bad man - Gangster - Gurentai 



(10) Mowly - Stink/musty/odor - Kusai 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2084 ( How to travel with your imaginary Girlfriend )
Monday, December 2, 2013

Did my usual 1 class at the YMCA... made the kids write the name of some sports and draw the sports. I also made them draw a picture that I downloaded from the internet. This was the result. Keep in mind these kids are just third year elementary.



Later I had a lesson with my newest private student. Still wondering if this makes any sense. I go all the way to Sakuragicho, which is one stop after Yokohama and pay a total of say 370 yen (US $3.70) one way which is 740 (US $7.40) yen two way. And only get paid 2000 yen (US $20) in total for 1 hour lesson. So I'm netting only a little over 1000 yen (US $10) because the student is a friend of my friend? ..... Hmmm need to think about this some more.

-----------------------------------------------

All by my selfie! Blogger shows how to take travel photos with an imaginary girlfriend





Traveling alone during the Christmas holidays can be less gloomy -- provided you take the advice of Keisuke Jinushi.

Earlier this year, Keisuke, a 28-year-old freelance Japanesephotographer and writer, gained Internet fame with a set of curious Instagram photos capturing him in various settings with his "girlfriend."

The images depicted a young lady feeding Keisuke and even lovingly wiping ketchup from his face.

The twist? "She" was actually Keisuke.

All the photos were single-handedly shot by the unattached Keisuke, with no girlfriend or anyone else involved.

Check them out here http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/04/travel/japan-one-man-date-photo/index.html?sr=fb120513imaginarygirlfriend1p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2085 ( What Low incomers are doing Wrong In Japan )
Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Just sat at my Tuesday school today doing nothing, not complaining though..... Headed off to teach business English but only 1 person from 1 of the classes showed up. He is very effeminate but he said he has been dating a girl for over 5 years now... Odd.... But anyway. We spoke for about 1 hour then it was time to leave.

---------------------------------------


If you're low-income, here's what you're doing wrong



Poverty in the midst of riches is a persistent and widening Japanese theme. “Japan Inc” stumbled badly in the 1990s and has yet to right itself. Companies stopped hiring. Young people graduated from university with no place to go. For want of better opportunities, they took part-time jobs.

Now, more than a third of the Japanese work force is part time. Even full-time employees complain of being overworked and underpaid. Pleading penury, many have put off marriage, indefinitely if not forever. Anger gave way to resignation, of which the “herbivorous male,” easygoing, disengaged and unambitious, is a prominent symbol.

Spa!, in an annual supplement, cracks the whip. If you’re earning less than 3 million yen a year it’s your own fault, it says in effect. The economy is bad but yields to those who squeeze it. What’s the difference between high and low wage earners? Essentially, in Spa!’s view, failure of the latter to grow up.

Eternal youth has its place but not in business. “I spend my weekends rehearsing and partying with my rock band,” says a 46-year-old at the low end of the medical supplies business. Your privilege, sniffs Spa! – but clinging to teenage dreams is no way to get ahead in the world.

Two points emerge from the magazine’s interview with investment consultant Tokio Godo. One: Communication is life in the business world. Be good at it and you’re on your way to success. Shrink from it – as many young people do nowadays – and your present rut will be a permanent one.

Two: Don’t lead two lives, one on-duty, one off. Be “on” all the time. Even hobbies, even shopping, should be, however distantly, work-related. Both, to the true communicator, offer scope for enlarging knowledge and contacts. Being a weekend rocker is no disqualification, but the man’s attitude (Spa! says) is – he works only to live and lives to rock. Maybe he’s happier that way. Maybe we all would be. But that’s another subject.


Read the rest here - http://www.japantoday.com/category/kuchikomi/view/if-youre-low-income-heres-what-youre-doing-wrong?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2013-11-29_PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 2086 ( Beware of Japanese High School Girls/Glasses With Built in Camera )
Wednesday, December 4, 2013

At my main school, the teachers are cleaning the English room because the principal proposed that the room be used for Japanese and English. This room has quite a bit of old furniture and loads of books. But I don't think it is big enough to accommodate both the English and the Japanese teaching staff. Also they have to get rid of a couch, a refrigerator, a toaster-oven and everything else that uses electricity. Because the board of education is trying to cut costs. Why the couch? Well I heard at least 5 Japanese male teachers got fired from some other schools (not mine) for having "inappropriate" relationships with some of these horny, short skirted, high school girls....on some of these couches.... When a teacher told me this I was like "no way..."

Japanese High school girls - Leaving almost nothing for the imagination
I stay farrrr away from them as possible. I even feel uncomfortable when then come to speak to me at work.

---------------------------------------


Glasses with built-in camera


I have to get one of these !!!



Last April, Thanko released Mitamanma Megane, which looks like regular glasses but has a micro-miniature camera built-in to allow you to take a video of wherever you are looking. Now, they have just released an upgraded new version of the glasses - called Mitamanma Megane H.264.


Thanko has added an even smaller camera to Mitamanma Megane H.264 than the one in the previous model and the camera is hardly perceptible. It supports H.264 video codec and films HD video (1280x720) at 30fps, so that it’s very good at taking a video while you are moving fast, for example while you are cycling or playing sports.



It is able to continuously record 40-minute video when it’s fully charged.


Price: 8,980 yen
Size: 150x150x30mm
Weight: 40g
Compliant OS: Windows8, 7, Vista, XP
Power Source: USB
Media: microSD card (2GB-32GB)http://www.japantoday.com/category/new-products/view/glasses-with-built-in-camera?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2013-11-30_PM

No comments: