A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Jamaica One Love Festival Tokyo 2014 / Qatar World Cup Bribes


Days 2283 – 2289 
Thursday, June 19 – Wednesday, June 25, 2014


Picture of the week:


American Football coaches (at top) vs
European Football coaches

Day 2283 (Qatar World Cup Bribes)
Thursday, June 19, 2014


Started studying kanji again. Just a bit though. Realized I forgot quite a few of them. How is it in just a few weeks of studying back in 2010, I got to remember about 300? But now I'm struggling to retain 10 new kanjis. 

Got a haircut today at the mall across from my apartment. 


Green mall across from my apartment

The lady that gave me the haircut said it was the first time for her to trim a black man's hair. Same as most who give me a haircut in Japan. 


-----------------------------


Sony urges vigorous FIFA probe of Qatar World Cup ‘bribes’


Sony Corp. became the first World Cup sponsor to call for a thorough investigation into accusations bribes were paid to secure the 2022 tournament for Qatar, raising pressure on soccer chiefs who have threatened to move the event if the allegations are proved true.

Soccer’s governing body, FIFA, is conducting an internal investigation into the decisions to hold the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 tournament in Qatar.
Although the Sony statement is carefully worded, it is unusual for a sponsor to say anything publicly on such a sensitive issue and appears to reflect concern over the knock-on effects on the consumer electronics giant’s image.
Qatar’s bid in particular has attracted controversy from the outset because of the extreme summer heat during the months when the World Cup is played and the tiny country’s lack of a domestic soccer tradition. If it goes ahead, the tournament is expected to be switched to a date later in the year, creating scheduling headaches for broadcasters and European soccer clubs.
Britain’s The Sunday Times newspaper has printed what it says are leaked documents showing bribes were paid to secure the event for Qatar, which Qatar denies. Former U.S. prosecutor Michael Garcia, leading FIFA’s internal investigation, is due to report in July, around a week after this year’s World Cup finishes in Brazil.
Until now, FIFA’s sponsors have stayed silent. The Sunday Times quoted a Sony statement as saying: “As a FIFA partner, we expect these allegations to be investigated appropriately. . . . We continue to expect FIFA to adhere to its principles of integrity, ethics and fair play across all aspects of its operations.”
“This underlines that companies need to make sure that any high profile association enhances their reputation rather than damages it,” said Andy Sutherden, global head of sports marketing & sponsorship at communications firm H+K Strategies.
The Times printed fresh accusations on Sunday, just four days before the 2014 tournament kicks off in Brazil, alleging that then-Asian football chief Mohamed Bin Hammam, a Qatari national, had brokered meetings between Qatari officials and governments to discuss bilateral trade deals.
Qatar denies Bin Hammam was connected to its bid for the Cup. Bin Hammam has not commented.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/06/08/business/corporate-business/sony-urges-vigorous-fifa-probe-qatar-world-cup-bribes/#.U6pC-XJ_vwk



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 2284 (Long trip back to my Apartment in Yokohama)
Friday, June 20, 2014 (6 years 3 months)


No classes today. I'm starting to wonder if these people at the school are watching what I do on the computer....I honestly don't know what else to do especially during these test seasons. Anyway, when I got back to my apartment, I packed some stuff, washed, and left out for the airport. It was a 20 mins ride on my bicycle, then about 40 mins on a taxi. 

I then went to Shibuya to stop by the Jamaican restaurant briefly, but they were busy preparing for the One Love Festival tomorrow. I stuck around a bit in Shibuya, then headed back on the last train to my area in Yokohama.

I realized that I forgot my apartment key !!! luckily I gave a friend of mine a spare key. I had to go wake her up at 1 am, grab the key, then walked back to my apartment. I got in at 2 am. My Yokohama apartment had a smell like clothes that needed some febreze. There were quite a few bills and envelops in my mailbox.

I was scrambling all over the place at 2am, because I had quite a bit of things to do between now and Sunday. I was tired beyond explanation..... But I still stayed up a bit longer to watch World cup matches. Only to see for the first time in 3 years ..... a cockroach in my apartment !!!!! I see small spiders all the time, a centipede once, but NEVER a cockroach !!!! I took swift action to spray it...... Anything but cockroach ........

 I don't even remember when I knocked out.


--------------------------


Portable wind turbine generator



Thanko’s new portable wind turbine generator will make you feel lucky every time you ride a bicycle or motor bike.
Once you ride a bicycle or motorbike that has the portable wind turbine generator attached to the handle, it starts generating enough electricity for two size AA rechargeable batteries.
Using either of the accompanying 5 connecting cables, the generated power can be fed to smartphones, tablets, iPhones/iPads and things like that. You can also take out the size AA rechargeable batteries and use them for other devices. The portable wind turbine generator itself has a LED light so the saved power can be used for lighting up your ride at night.
The AA rechargeable batteries are not included to the package.
Price: ¥4,980
http://www.japantoday.com/category/new-products/view/portable-wind-turbine-generator?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2014-06-09_AM


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 2285 ( Jamaica One Love Festival Tokyo 2014- Day 1 )
Saturday, June 21, 2014

It was time to head to the one event I look forward to yearly. The One Love Jamaica Festival in Yoyogi Park, Tokyo. But before that I headed to a few ATMs to check my books and get some money. I can't update my books in Toyama. There are no UFJs or Yokohama banks there....

Also did a brief medical check up, then  headed straight to Yoyogi park. I should be performing today at 1:20. Met up with a few friends, took several pics :
(Suen, Kerry and Norman, I am borrowing your photos from facebook  :p)


That's me up there could you tell?




Look at the size of my stomach...

Famous dancer Ivan











I then headed backstage....Only to hear "we don't have you on the list to perform".... I didn't even protest. Because of course I'm no big wig, nor do I think many people know me outside of the Jamaican community and a few Japanese friends here and there who thinks I'm popular. But one of the backstage organizers called me back while I was walking away, and he said to come back at 3:30.... So I went back 3:30 and they said to come back 4. I went at 4 then they again said they don't think I'm going to perform because of time constraints.... Again, another of the backstage organizers said to wait until 4:30 and then my stage time will cut from 7 mins to 5 mins lol.... bwoyyy mi a tell yuh....When you are a small fry in this thing.....  Then I'm going to go up after these huge performances........ Attack dem squad and L'acadco.



I felt like people were going to walk away as soon as they saw me going up there, because after such great dance performances, then me???? With dub poetry ??? tsk tsk... But I did my thing and the response was wayy better than I anticipated. Thanks to a couple of friends cheering me on in the crowd. lol. 





Photo by Norman Monroe
Courtesy of bigmike-photos.com


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 2286 ( Jamaica One Love Festival Tokyo 2014- Day 2 )
Sunday, June 22, 2014


Did some final packing to head back to Toyama....Visited a friend of mine briefly, then headed to the second day of the One Love Festival. A friend of mine came along with me....We've been hanging out for over a year now and everywhere we go together there is always the "is that your girlfriend?" question. Nope ... She is happily married. Well I think happily ....

 Today...just lots of picture taking and chatting:
The famous rasta dog

the Unruly's

Friend's wife and child...
And don't ask me when I'm gonna have my own !!!!
 





Was rushing back to the airport, only to hear someone calling my name.... I finally met up with a facebook friend who I've been in contact with for a few months now.... Actually I met several of such persons between yesterday and today. This one though, we chatted several times on the phone. She really doesn't like her photos (not sure why) so I won't put it up. 

I thought I was going to be late for my flight but I was early. It took like 30 mins to get from Harajuku to Haneda airport. The flight took about 50 mins, then another 45 mins bus ride to the Toyama station, then a 30 mins bicycle ride to my apartment. Got in at around 10 pm. I am already looking forward to the event next year or even possibly one of the other ones in Nagoya, Nagano or Okinawa.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 2287 ( Principal Arrested For peeking At Women in the School Bathroom )
Monday, June 23, 2014


Jogged to and from work this morning. I'm now used to waking up at around 7 am.... I thought it would have been really difficult to re-adjust from last year waking up at 9:30 am.  


--------------------------


School principal in Gunma arrested for taking photos in women's toilet






Police in Takasaki, Gunma Prefecture, said Monday that an elementary school principal has been arrested for taking photos in a women’s toilet at the school.
Police said Nobuyoshi Aisawa, 56, the principal of Orui Elementary School, was arrested after it was discovered that on June 5, he had sneaked into the toilet and taken photographs of a female faculty member in her 20s on his smartphone, TBS reported.
Police said the woman noticed a man but could not see his face, and cried out, prompting other staff members to come running. During the commotion, one faculty member passed Aisawa on a nearby stairwell, and noticed that he had been acting rather strange, TBS reported.
Aisawa turned himself in to police on the evening of June 7.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/school-principal-in-gunma-arrested-for-taking-photos-in-womens-toilet?utm_campaign=jt_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=jt_newsletter_2014-06-10_AM

                                    ----------------------


Spain ... another top contending, banana throwing and the number 1 ranking team in the world... Got kicked out of the world cup !!! I couldn't care less...let them go. Just like how the Miami heats (Spain and Miami both defending champions) lost today as well.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 2288 ( Sorry Japan )
Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Another sit and stare at the walls day at work. Not so much fun I tell you.

Today was a sad day for me with the World cup.

Japan lost to Columbia who basically swept the floor with the teams they went up against. And Ivory Coast lost to Greece which was a huge disappointment for me. Still in disbelief. Greece?!?!
kmt


And of course the biggest news in this world cup so far !.... Suarez and the biting incident. With all sorts of memes showing up:










This dude should be banned for life though. Unfortunately, that would be bad for FIFA...He has too many fans, no matter how hungry or racist he might be. 

Did someone say England played today? pshhhh... I stopped caring about England since they denied me a visa in 2005 for stupid reasons. Let them get out of here...... How can you invent a sport and then let others become better than you at it..... boooooooooo.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 2289 ( R.I.P Anika, Xavier and Stacy )
Wednesday, June 25, 2014



Signed up recently with a bank called Shinsei bank. 




I think I should be able to send money home now using a card. My friend followed me to the post office bank to register my account. I also bought some gifts for a friend of mine who lost her husband recently...Her husband is also a friend of mine... haven't seen them in close to 10 years but we still have that bond. R.I.P Xavier. This brings to 3, the amount of old friends I lost to death since the start of 2014. It is heart breaking.... But we all gonna go one day.... What else must I believe? I choose to believe in the words of the Bible...If I'm wrong, then so be it. This is the way I choose. What about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello there and thank you for your information – I have certainnly picked
up something new from right here. I did however expertise sopme technical issues using this site, since I experienced to rload thhe site many times
previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is
OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading
instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could
damage your high-quality score if advertising and marketing with
Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my email and could look out for a lot moore of your respective intriguing
content. Make sure you update this again very soon.

Here is my web-site; Grid display Fixtures

Anonymous said...



my web site :: web site []