2012 London Olympic FEVER !!! (Japan Summer 2012 Part 2)

Days 1600 - 1606
Sunday, August 5 - Saturday, August 11, 2012  
  



Day 1600 ( Nagashi Soumen??/ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Gold 100M Women)
Sunday, August 5, 2012

Went to my old church back in Niimi. The pastor's wife was hinting for me to play the drum but I ignored her. Ask me to play the drum, don't bang on it then call my name!!! Be more direct.... What the heck, that ain't gonna happen in this culture.... I wasn't in the mood to play anyway.

After church we ate lots of food. Then we did this thing that I was seeing for the second time I can remember. It's called nagashi soumen. Some bamboos are placed together, then water is ran down the bamboos, followed by thin noodles. Everyone should try to catch the noodles with chop sticks then dip it in soy sauce like a soup. It was great.


After church I met 2 of my Niimi friends in a restaurant that I haven't been to in a year name JOYFUL. Then I went to visit the darts bar where I once played darts between 2010-2011.

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

I know this is old news but I still have to post about our GOLDS in this years Olympics. Today/Yesterday Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce won Gold in the 100M Females. We also got a bronze medal from Veronica Campbell-Brown.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1601 ( Happy 50th Anniversary Jamaica / Gold For Usain Bolt 100M Men's Finals )
Monday, August 6, 2012

Got a hair cut from my former barber today who actually drove for about 45 mins just to come and give me a hair cut. I really miss these kind people. This is unimaginable in Yokohama.

After that, I visited the Board of Education to look for some other Niimi friends. No way I could do this in Yokohama.


In the evening my host mom had a send-off party for my friend Melissa who is going back to the US. The party was also a "Welcome back to Niimi" Party for me.


--------------------------------
--------------------------------

Happy 50th Anniversary Jamaica!!! 

It was 50 years ago (1962) we won our independence from England. And look where the Olympics is being held now?? London.

A few are of the opinion that Jamaica was better under colonial rule because there was not much crime. But on the flip side, we have achieved quite a bit being a poor nation after our independence. Reggae has developed and gone across the globe. And of course our sprinters are second to none. We are still somewhat under the rule of England though, being a common wealth nation. Hey even Canada, Australia and New Zealand are still common wealth. So if a country should attempt to take over Jamaica, England would come to our aid.

However, our now prime minister wants us to go republic and do everything on our own. I'm unsure of the side effects that will follow.


--------------------------------

--------------------------------


Gold For Usain Bolt Silver For Yohan Blake 100M Men's Finals 

Fitting for our 50th anniversary of independence.... Usain Bolt won the 100 M Males race at the London's 2012 Olympic.Well you know about it already, and probably have seen these photos already also. But hey, I'm still happy for us.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1602 ( Karate After a Year ) 

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Stayed in most of today then went to karate briefly. Didn't get to practice much, but got to meet some old karate friends.


After 1 hour of karate, I met one of my best friends in Niimi and we had dinner. After that I went back to pack for my 14-15 hours trip starting early tomorrow morning.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1603 ( See You Later Niimi )
Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Woke up at 5:30 am this morning. Then my host mom dropped me to the Niimi station to catch a train at 6:08am. If I missed this train, I would have to wait for about 2 hours to get the next one. We were running a bit close but I managed to catch the train with about 3 mins to spare.

These were all the stations I had to stop at for my 15 hour trip:
1 hr 30 mins from Niimi to Okayama city
1 hour 30 mins - From Okayama city to Himeji
2 hr 30 mins from Himeji to Kyoto

I stopped here at Himeji to collect my portable charger so I missed a train and had to wait a bit to get another one.
45 mins from Kyoto to Maibara
1 hr from Maibara to Ogaki
2 hrs from Ogaki to Toyohashi
1 hr 15 mins from Toyohashi to Hamamatsu
2hrs 30 mins from Hamamatsu to Atami
1 hr from Atami to Ofuna
7 mins from Ofuna to Shin sugita
7 mins (by foot) from Shin sugita to sugita
5 mins from sugita to Keikyu Tomioka my final stop

I missed about 3 trains. and I got back to my apartment at about 9pm. This was of course an extremely tiring trip.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1604 ( Got My Jamaica/Bolt T-Shirts / Bolt, Blake, Weir 1-2-3 )
Thursday, August 9, 2012

Stayed in for most of the day today, but had my evening student at 7:30 pm this evening.

Received my first stock of stuff today and I have a couple of orders already. These are what I have for sale:


--------------------------------

--------------------------------


Bolt, Blake, Weir 1-2-3

I was quite elated today when I learnt we got first, second and third place in the 200M Men's final at the Olympics. I was especially happy for Warren Weir who I actually know personally. This being his very first Olympics and he managed to get a medal among the greats. This guy was actually my next door neighbour in the community where I grew up in Waterford, Portmore. He also attended summer camps back in the days where I was in charge of all the sporting events for the camp. His mom is also a very good friend of mine.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1605 ( )

Friday, August 10, 2012

Can you believe it? I had to go in to the YMCA today for a summer gig. It was only about 50 mins of teaching then eating lunch, so it wasn't so bad. I was also allowed to teach whatever the heck I wanted to. So I did self introduction and a drawing game.

When I got back home, I ordered an Apple TV. I will explain what it is later.


--------------------------------

--------------------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day1606 ( Apple TV / Japan's Territorial Disputes )
Saturday, August 11, 2012

Received my APPLE TV today. Here is what it is, and the review from CNET.

--------------------------------

--------------------------------


Japan's Territorial Disputes

Japan has territorial disputes with China, Taiwan, Russia and South Korea. And the other countries all seem to know that Japan isn't really doing much about it except talk and condemn. That's it. Recently the president of South Korea visited one of the disputed isles, which caused the Japanese government to get really upset. These isles are administrated by South Korea but claimed by Japan.

I live in Japan now, but I personally believe that these isles belong to South Korea. Why? Japan once controlled Korea for about 30 years, which means that Japan is the more powerful of the 2. If this is so, how is it that South Korea owns the land? Did they sneak up and take it away from a stronger Japan???  With the Russian dispute, the lands were clearly owned by Japan but Russia stole them after world war 2. These isles now are another case, they were always there.

--------------------------------

--------------------------------


Thanks for your comment Rising Sun. Niimi is a very small town. But there are about 11 foreigners living in that very small area. Pretty much all the foreigners know each other. But people move and others replace them ever so often. 

Comments