Toyama here I come!



Days 2241 - 2247
Thursday, May 8 - Wednesday, May 14, 2014


Ok so a world wind of stuff took place last week. And again for privacy concerns, I can't mention too much. I tell you, my life is like an epic adventure.

Day 2241 ( Heading to Toyama )
Thursday, May 8, 2014




Woke up early to go catch a flight to Toyama (a rural prefecture in Japan where our Jamaican spring ting event was held last year http://davecollyjap.blogspot.jp/2013/05/jamaicans-in-japan-spring-ting-2013_9.html). My company asked me to do a special teaching assignment for a week here, all expenses paid. The flight took 1 hour and the landing was among the worst that I've ever experienced because of strong winds.

When I got to Toyama, I met up with some big wigs in the company. I was wondering if this was some sort of trap....Why on earth would these guys be all the wayy out here??? Anyway, I met with the Board of Education in the area as well as some peeps in the school that I would be teaching for the week.

They then put me in a hotel, where I would stay until next Friday evening.



********************************************

********************************************


Day 2242 ( )
Friday, May 9, 2014

Did my first 4 classes at the school today and I was falling asleep at the desk. All of the classes went well with the students asking for more and more. What I like about this school is that I get school lunch. And it cost only like 300 yen (US $3). When I saw the smiles from the teachers and students, I had no doubt in my mind that they were gonna want me to stay a while longer.....

----------------------------------------



***********************************

***********************************

Day 2243 ( Jamaicans in Toyama )
Saturday, May 10, 2014

Went to a Jamaican restaurant in Toyama tonight... yes a Jamaican restaurant even in these parts !! Some of these people I met at the Jamaican Spring ting event last year.



******************************************

******************************************


Day 2244 ( Short Community BBQ And English Conversation Thing / Shark Eat Shark )
Sunday, May 11, 2014

One of the ladies I met at spring ting last year, invited me to a small community BBQ they were having in a community called Kamiichi in Toyama.




Afterwards, we had a 2 hour English conversation thing. They do this every Saturday.




----------------------------------------------------


******************************************

******************************************

Day 2245 ()
Monday, May 12, 2014

Did 2 classes at the school today. In the afternoon, one of the top guys in my company gave me a call, basically asking if I can stay for the year in Toyama !!! The first thing that came to my mind was "Are they turning me back into an ALT and asking me to step down from being a trainer, PLUS move from town back to country?!?!"
But I was re-assured that this will not be the case and that I would maintain my trainer contract but would be doing the job of an ALT. I would also still have my apartment in Yokohama. After about 2 days of negotiating, I decided to stay here in Toyama until March 2015. But its still not 100% final......

--------------------------------------------------------


******************************************

******************************************

Day 2246 ( )
Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The students are going nuts in my classes...Lots of laughter and enjoyment.....The teachers are equally having a good time.... Welcome to Dave's world !!! I had to do some renegotiating today when I realized how much fun the students were having.... ;) muhuhahahahahaaaa ...


----------------------------------------------

******************************************

******************************************

Day 2247 (  )
Wednesday, May 14, 2014

So it is finalized. I will be staying in Toyama until March 2015. I will be in Yokohama/Tokyo area every now and again tho. I am falling asleep after lunch but I will work with it.

Comments