Luminous Lagoon-Jamaica, Passed Japanese Proficiency Test N4, Jamaicans in Japan Gathering, Watoto in Japan
Hi there,
I missed blogging last month (September), the best month (though full of typhoons).
Last blog I featured Nara. This time it's back again to Jamaica, a place called Luminous Lagoon.
This area is located in the parish of Trelawny. The water glows because of some microorganisms known as dinoflagellates.
At nights, the lagoon sparkles and glistens when disturbed. This shows the outline of fish and other things in the water.
Do visit here if you get the chance to go to Jamaica.
Recent Happenings
Day 3725(My church asked me to do a video)
Sunday, August 26, 2018
Went to church today and after church I gave my beautiful wife this flower!
During church service, I was featured to do a video reminder of upcoming events. Here it is.
Day 3730(Monthly Meetup)
Friday, August 31, 2018
Once a month or so, I try to meet up with some friends and have dinner at random places. We get to update each other about what's going on in our lives and just pretty much share ideas.
Usually it's only me and my friend Will, but recently I started inviting others who would like to join with us for a chat.
Day 3731(Visit Henry, Sashalee and Helena)
Sunday, August 31, 2018
Visited some friends in Chiba today and pretty much spent the day with Takako at their house. We had a great time there. Sashalee's cooking is amazing!!!
Day 3735(Goodbye lunch for Co-worker)
Wednesday, September 5, 2018
We had a department lunch today. But this one was to tell our co-worker goodbye. He pretty much showed me the ropes of the training unit in my company and helped me to become a better trainer. All the best Pete.
Day 3737(Passed JLPT N4)
Friday, September 7, 2018
So finally after 10 years in Japan, I have proof that I can read and understand "Basic" Japanese. Even though this is basic, it was pretty darn difficult. I took this same test 5 years ago (2013) and failed miserably. With some encouragement from others, I decided to try this again, and I passed!!!
I'm going to continue to inch away at these exams until I get to N1 which is business Japanese. I'm here too long now to not be totally fluent.
Day 3746(Aquarium in Enoshima)
Sunday, September 16, 2018
Went to church today and then to a giant aquarium about an hour from where I live. I've been here before but Takako got a free ticket for us from her co-worker. It was still interesting and we saw a small part of the dolphin show.
After the aquarium, we went to a home store to buy futons and a folding chair in preparation for some visitors to stay at our home.
Day 3747(Jamaican Embassy in Japan and Jamaicans in Japan - Jamaican Linkup an Lime)
Monday, September 17, 2018
So today, the Jamaican Embassy in Japan, along with the Jamaicans in Japan Group, organized a gathering of sorts for the Jamaicans in living in Japan. Presently, over 700 of us are here in Japan. But the embassy can only fit like 60 of us. Around 50-70 of us came to the gathering though and it was really good. Here are some of the pictures.
Day 3749(11th Birthday in Japan)
Wednesday, September 19, 2018
Took a day-off from work today because..... It was my birthday!!! The 11th one in Japan. Last year at this time, I was getting ready to head to Bali in Indonesia. Today, my wonderful wife got a couple of my friends to send a short birthday greeting to me from all over the world, and she put it together in a string of videos. In all, about 103 persons (counting kids) in 48 video greetings managed to submit videos to her before the deadline.
Thanks to all who made the time and sent their videos and thanks to Takako. I really appreciated it. Brought tears to my eyes. She did a good job of hiding it from me leading up to my birthday.
Day 3752 (Watoto visits our home!!!)
Saturday, September 22, 2018
For a couple of weeks, me and my wife were preparing for some members of Watoto to visit our home. What is Watoto? It means "The children" in the Swahili language. It is a child care organization and by extension a church based in Uganda.
The Watoto Child care Ministries help orphans and children from troubled families by giving them a home, food, clothes and proper education. The ministry builds villages to care for these children and teach them about the love of God and pretty much help them to get their lives back together. The ministry is currently taking care of about 3000 children as well as displaced widows and other poor people in Uganda.
Another major thing they do is teach them how to sing and dance and every year or so, they take a couple of them on tour to different parts of the world to sing and dance. The aim of the tour is to open these children's eyes to the world and show them that there is hope, and this will help them to want to study harder to achieve their dreams. For more information about them here is their website https://www.watoto.com/
So they will be performing at our church tomorrow. And a couple of us were asked to host some of the children and an adult. We hosted 2 children and an adult. We met them today.
Day 3753 (Watoto visits our church!!!)
Sunday, September 23, 2018
Woke up at 5:30 this morning to take our visitors to church and to help set up for their performance today.
It was a very touching performance and presentation. My heart was blessed and I'm happy we got the chance to host them. I watched these orphans performed with tears rolling down my face. It was awesome.
Here is a short video of their performance.
Afterwards, me and Takako arranged for a couple of the host families to have dinner together with some of the Watoto members and 2 of my co-workers.
Day 3754 (Bringing back Watoto)
Monday, September 24, 2018
Had breakfast with our Watato visitors this morning.
Then dropped them off at the Yokohama station to meet up with the other Watoto members and their host families.
Day 3755 (Another Watoto Performance)
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Had lobster roll with my coworkers for lunch today. It was pretty good!
After work, I went to the Yokosuka branch of my church to see "the children" perform again.
Day 3760-3761 (Serious Typhoon)
Sunday, September 30-Monday, October 1, 2018
So September was a pretty active month. I was extremely busy at work and outside of work as you see. But it was worth it.
The biggest typhoon of the season hit tonight. This, I've never felt before since living in Japan. The house was literally shaking from the heavy winds. Takoko couldn't even sleep.
In the morning, I woke up to this blown down tree, 30 seconds by foot from my house.
That's all for now until next blog. I hope you enjoyed!
I missed blogging last month (September), the best month (though full of typhoons).
Last blog I featured Nara. This time it's back again to Jamaica, a place called Luminous Lagoon.
This area is located in the parish of Trelawny. The water glows because of some microorganisms known as dinoflagellates.
At nights, the lagoon sparkles and glistens when disturbed. This shows the outline of fish and other things in the water.
Do visit here if you get the chance to go to Jamaica.
--------------------
--------------------
Recent Happenings
Day 3725(My church asked me to do a video)
Sunday, August 26, 2018
Went to church today and after church I gave my beautiful wife this flower!
During church service, I was featured to do a video reminder of upcoming events. Here it is.
Day 3730(Monthly Meetup)
Friday, August 31, 2018
Usually it's only me and my friend Will, but recently I started inviting others who would like to join with us for a chat.
Day 3731(Visit Henry, Sashalee and Helena)
Sunday, August 31, 2018
Visited some friends in Chiba today and pretty much spent the day with Takako at their house. We had a great time there. Sashalee's cooking is amazing!!!
Day 3735(Goodbye lunch for Co-worker)
Wednesday, September 5, 2018
We had a department lunch today. But this one was to tell our co-worker goodbye. He pretty much showed me the ropes of the training unit in my company and helped me to become a better trainer. All the best Pete.
------------------------
------------------------
Day 3737(Passed JLPT N4)
Friday, September 7, 2018
So finally after 10 years in Japan, I have proof that I can read and understand "Basic" Japanese. Even though this is basic, it was pretty darn difficult. I took this same test 5 years ago (2013) and failed miserably. With some encouragement from others, I decided to try this again, and I passed!!!
I'm going to continue to inch away at these exams until I get to N1 which is business Japanese. I'm here too long now to not be totally fluent.
Day 3746(Aquarium in Enoshima)
Sunday, September 16, 2018
Went to church today and then to a giant aquarium about an hour from where I live. I've been here before but Takako got a free ticket for us from her co-worker. It was still interesting and we saw a small part of the dolphin show.
After the aquarium, we went to a home store to buy futons and a folding chair in preparation for some visitors to stay at our home.
Day 3747(Jamaican Embassy in Japan and Jamaicans in Japan - Jamaican Linkup an Lime)
Monday, September 17, 2018
So today, the Jamaican Embassy in Japan, along with the Jamaicans in Japan Group, organized a gathering of sorts for the Jamaicans in living in Japan. Presently, over 700 of us are here in Japan. But the embassy can only fit like 60 of us. Around 50-70 of us came to the gathering though and it was really good. Here are some of the pictures.
------------------------
------------------------
Day 3749(11th Birthday in Japan)
Wednesday, September 19, 2018
| Very very Scandalous! |
Took a day-off from work today because..... It was my birthday!!! The 11th one in Japan. Last year at this time, I was getting ready to head to Bali in Indonesia. Today, my wonderful wife got a couple of my friends to send a short birthday greeting to me from all over the world, and she put it together in a string of videos. In all, about 103 persons (counting kids) in 48 video greetings managed to submit videos to her before the deadline.
Thanks to all who made the time and sent their videos and thanks to Takako. I really appreciated it. Brought tears to my eyes. She did a good job of hiding it from me leading up to my birthday.
Day 3752 (Watoto visits our home!!!)
Saturday, September 22, 2018
For a couple of weeks, me and my wife were preparing for some members of Watoto to visit our home. What is Watoto? It means "The children" in the Swahili language. It is a child care organization and by extension a church based in Uganda.
The Watoto Child care Ministries help orphans and children from troubled families by giving them a home, food, clothes and proper education. The ministry builds villages to care for these children and teach them about the love of God and pretty much help them to get their lives back together. The ministry is currently taking care of about 3000 children as well as displaced widows and other poor people in Uganda.
Another major thing they do is teach them how to sing and dance and every year or so, they take a couple of them on tour to different parts of the world to sing and dance. The aim of the tour is to open these children's eyes to the world and show them that there is hope, and this will help them to want to study harder to achieve their dreams. For more information about them here is their website https://www.watoto.com/
So they will be performing at our church tomorrow. And a couple of us were asked to host some of the children and an adult. We hosted 2 children and an adult. We met them today.
Day 3753 (Watoto visits our church!!!)
Sunday, September 23, 2018
Woke up at 5:30 this morning to take our visitors to church and to help set up for their performance today.
It was a very touching performance and presentation. My heart was blessed and I'm happy we got the chance to host them. I watched these orphans performed with tears rolling down my face. It was awesome.
Here is a short video of their performance.
Afterwards, me and Takako arranged for a couple of the host families to have dinner together with some of the Watoto members and 2 of my co-workers.
Day 3754 (Bringing back Watoto)
Monday, September 24, 2018
Had breakfast with our Watato visitors this morning.
Then dropped them off at the Yokohama station to meet up with the other Watoto members and their host families.
------------------------
------------------------
Day 3755 (Another Watoto Performance)
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Had lobster roll with my coworkers for lunch today. It was pretty good!
After work, I went to the Yokosuka branch of my church to see "the children" perform again.
Day 3760-3761 (Serious Typhoon)
Sunday, September 30-Monday, October 1, 2018
So September was a pretty active month. I was extremely busy at work and outside of work as you see. But it was worth it.
The biggest typhoon of the season hit tonight. This, I've never felt before since living in Japan. The house was literally shaking from the heavy winds. Takoko couldn't even sleep.
In the morning, I woke up to this blown down tree, 30 seconds by foot from my house.
That's all for now until next blog. I hope you enjoyed!
Comments