Hachimura Rui in NBA/ Home Party/ Performance on the Beach/ Welcome new Jamaican JET ALTs


Hi again,

I found out recently that my friend, who I met while living in Toyama, his son got drafted to the NBA. Rui Hachimura will be playing for the Washington Wizards. He is half Japanese, half African. 






I wish him and his team all the best.


----------------------
----------------------

On August 10th, The Jamaicans in Japan Association will be hosting a Barbecue between 3pm and 6pm in Odaiba, Tokyo. Cost 3500 yen for food and all you can drink. Come on out! 



----------------------
----------------------


Day 4024 (Jamaican Summer Dinner 😀)
Friday, June 21, 2019

Had our second Jamaican summer dinner with some co-workers tonight at Goodwood Terrace restaurant in Shibuya, Tokyo.







It's always a good time !


Day 4025 (Some Friends Over 😁)
Saturday, June 22, 2019

Had a couple of friends from church over our house today for lunch. I think this is the most we have ever had over so far in 3 years. 





Day 4039 (Shota's Funeral 😔😢)
Saturday, July 6 , 2019

A young guy from my church passed away this week and a good couple of us attended his funeral. It was really sad because he was so young and promising. But The LORD knows what's best.


----------------------
----------------------

Day 4046 (Performance on the Beach - Jamaica Day 2019 😎)
Saturday, July 13, 2019

I've been going to this 2 month - long event of sorts on the beach since I moved to Yokohama in 2011. And I started performing here maybe since 2015/2016. I did again this year but it was rainy. Actually this year's rainy season is the longest I've experienced in Japan for a while now. 

My performance was ok, but, I forgot one of my lines and I was actually getting exhausted. I haven't been performing much recently. 



Day 4053 (Another House Party 😁)
Saturday, July 20, 2019

Our friends invited us and a whole lot of other people to their house today for food and fun. It was a really great time.





----------------------
----------------------

Day 4055 (Company Trip to Iwate Prefecture 😀)
Monday, July 22, 2019

Went to a northern prefecture today, Iwate for the second time. The first time was just a trip. This time it was for work, in order to observe some training. The name of the city I went to is Kitakami. 





Day 4059 (Drinking with Co-Workers 😂)
Friday, July 26, 2019

Today was the last day of work for one of my co-workers. He got a pretty decent, direct hire job from a board of education in Kurashiki city (pretty close to where I lived in Okayama). Actually about 8-10 years ago, I applied for this job, but they said "nope"... guh si dung! (kindly have a seat where you are sir).

Anyway, went out drinking with a couple of guys from work to wish our (now former) co-worker goodbye. He kept the office lively.




Day 4060 (Community Festival 💪😤😕)
Saturday, July 27, 2019

I mentioned a blog post or 2 ago that I'm now an "officer" or "council member" on the neighbourhood/community board or whatever the English name is. I of course wasn't voted in but its a responsibility of the people in the community if they want to see friendly faces in the area. So the duty is passed on to everyone. The good thing is, if I stick it out for this year, it won't come around again for like the next 18 years. Some people however refuse to participate and they are of course frowned upon. 

Anyway, I'm in charge of cultural activities and sports. It's me and another older guy in charge of this area. The older guy however clearly shows his disinterest in this kinda stuff lol. He doesn't say it, but it is quite clear. Other members show their zest and fervor, like the chairman who is around 80, and has been doing this for over 10 years! 

So today, even though it was announced that a typhoon is approaching, the chairman guy and others were bent on still keeping this community festival today. Luckily the typhoon didn't come this way, nor did it rain, but we had some reallllly strong wind. 

I helped set up the tents and all the other stuff. I also made yakitori (chicken on a stick) maybe around 200 of them, for the first time in my life.

It ended up being a pretty good day, but really tiring!






Day 4062 (Exploring Kamakura 😁😪)
Monday, July 29, 2019

Me and Takako walked around the Kamakura area (an old capital of Japan after Kyoto) pretty close to where we live in Yokohama. She wanted to see this cafe which was on a Japanese drama from long time ago. We found the cafe, then had Mexican lunch, then walked along the beach. Didn't even know this was a beach area.  

















We also walked along a shopping street and walked into a temple near the area. The day was pretty hot and I was exhausted. But it was a really nice day out.


Day 4063 (New JET ALT Welcome Reception at Jamaican Embassy 😁)
Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Went to a reception at the Jamaican Embassy in Tokyo this evening. I think there were more than 20 of them.






Comments