Day 15 (Visiting My Schools/Borrow PS2) - April 3, 2008

Day 15 - Visiting My Schools/Borrow PS2

Ok so the computers I am using at the cultural plaza in Niimi are ridiculously old. They are running windows 98?????? Thats like 1 decade ago to raatid...and there is my laptop sitting in my room that I cannot even access a wireless network with aaaaaah bwoyyy this sucks. Plus I won't be getting my internet at home until about a months time. Another problem is that my pictures can't be taken from my camera possibly because the USB drive here can't recognise it....Bwoy oh bwoy.

So anyway today another IC came to my apartment for me to visit my schools. Now these Japanese ladies age very slowly...This lady looks like 28 and she is actually 43...and that's how most of them look...I guess the whale and the taste bad food have their benefits (I hope none of them reading this blog and get offended)... anyway I am supposedly going to teach at five (5) schools which two (2) of them are far far away but the other 3 or relatively close to each other. I will be teaching at only elementary (primary) (sho gako) schools. I will be at each school on a different day except for 1 which I have on Mondays and Wednesdays and I alternate Fridays between 2 schools. Interesting isn't it?? However, the school teachers were very very happy to see me it seems and I had to introduce myself in Japanese which went pretty well and they all clapped me at all the schools where I had to introduce myself so this is what I said:

Konnichiwa - hello
Hajimemashte - nice to meet you
watashi wa Dave desu - My name is Dave
watashi wa soccer toe table tennis ga skii desu - I like soccer and table tennis
yorishku onegai shimasu - something about I am now in your care

Yes so now I know why they wanted me to have a car for this area...because the two far out schools I go to...there is noooo transportation at all going there... It's like very very very country with some tiny roads...Lord help me... All I could see in these places were mountains and trees not even a car passing mi by on the road to blow wow.

So now I know the games that the Japanese play...the older Japanese that invite us out to eat, play the, `Lets see if the foreigner can eat our food Game` ... that's the one that they give you something to eat and watch you in silence until you eat or don't eat...then the kids now when they are together and see us, play the, `let's see who can go the closest to the foreigner Game` ... that's the one when they laugh and come near you, turn their backs walk away and then come back again and walk away again ???? Ok it beats me too...some of them actually say hello...

Anyway after the long day's journey of visiting my 5 far away schools, I went back to my apartment and saw a note that soft bank came with my phone but I wasn't around...so I have to collect that tomorrow. I then went up by the other ALT apartment and played some Wii tennis, bowling and super smash brothers which was actually quite entertaining. I also borrowed his PS2 with Kingdom Hearts 2 (sorry I am still a game head at my age ok)...

Comments

Stephen said…
ur doing well dave
Island Girl said…
Dave, I can see you are settling in well. I am glad to hear how comfortable the Japanese are making you feel. I do not drive and would definetely have a problem with the far school placements.

I am still hoping that you will allow me to contact you so you can give me some advice on my move there.

Thanks for keeping up your blog through the difficult conditions. I'll be reading everyday.
Dave said…
Hey island girl...hmmm I should not put up my email address on the blog i was told...nor should i put up any of my school names or the name of any organisation im attached to whle working in Japan :(...should not that is...But any way..im going to create an email just for that then shut it down back instantly as u send me a message there...In that email..i can give u my main email address...so send me a message at ... davay21@hotmail.com . .again..after I respond to you..i will shut it down.....
Anonymous said…
Man love the running commentary. Living vicariously thru u. Maybe I will plan to visit u some time when u more settled. peace.

BjornJ.