Day 41 - Tuesday, April 29, 2008


Day 41

The person for the rent, came today...this is the same guy who took me to meet his big wig friends on Day 11...So now I paid my first rent, phone bill and light bill, eleven more to go. My rent is 48000 yen, phone bill came to 5700 yen and light came to mussy 2500 yen...So today is actually a Japanese holiday known as Showa Day (Showa no hi): Please my Jamaican friends, do not confuse this showa with the politics business in Jamaica....It is different ok!!! Although to think about it...it actually ties in with Japanese politics... This is the birthday of former Emperor Showa. Before 2007, April 29 was known as Greenery Day (now celebrated on May 4). Showa Day is part of the Golden Week (almost 1 week of holiday).

I was going to the supermarket today to buy some groceries, but when I drove around there, it look like all of Japan decided to go today being a holiday. I was still going to go but I cant deal with nuh more excitement with the pikney dem a point pon mi and a show dem parents seh one black yute deh bout...Suh mi jus drive guh home.

We had another ALT get-together..this was at a restaurant...and the main reason for this get-together was because one of the ALTs with my company resigned and is moving to Tokyo. He is actually currently searching for a job in the Tokyo area. After this restaurant, we moved to another restaurant where more ALTs came as well as one of our friends from the Bible study... We ate and chat etc... That's really what we do when we meet most of the time, eat and chat and sometimes play game...I cannot believe that I am somewhere that I actually prefer work than holidays, isn't that weird? We left the second restaurant about 10:30 pm....
D, I can't believe you stayed up suh long a read blog, before yuh guh study yuh book... I must say I feel special though :) and Panton, please to run away wid your go go business...
Tek care

Comments

>>I was still going to go but I cant deal with nuh more excitement with the pikney dem a point pon mi and a show dem parents seh one black yute deh bout...<<

Dave, it would appear that nothing much in the world has changed over the decades and possibly centuries. When I was a student in Germany in the 1970s, I had the very same experience as you have mentioned above.

I guess it's just curiosity, in the case of a child. As soon as they grow up, our dominant Jamaican culture will captivate their minds and hearts.

Keep blogging, my friend.

Crafton Williams
Williams Guest Houses
52-54 Hope Road,
Kingston 6, Jamaica
http://williamshotelsjm.googlepages.com
Anonymous said…
Hi Colly,
Saw a few of them SACABAYAites Sunday, was telling them about your blog, we are all proud of you. Use a few of those holidays to learn new word so that you can invite a couple native to Bible study. Knowing you, it won't take you long to master the language.
Nuff Blessings
Venesa

Popular Posts