Day 443 { No More Games For This Class / New Karate Gear } Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 443 { No More Competitive Games / New Karate Gear }

At school today, the kids are always wonderful. Sometimes I am weary of a few of the teachers but in general it's an ok school except that it is just too far away. All the classes are relatively good... The grade 6 and the grade 5 kids are a little on the quiet side, but that's just Japanese kids... And that ain't gonna change any time soon. However, a new challenge has arisen that I had no clue about... It's the new grade 3 kids..... I noticed that they were always on the overly excited side and that they can get very noisy... On this particular day, the classroom teacher was feeling sick, so he was absent from class. Because of this, they asked a helper teacher to stay with me in the class... and ohh boy it was a challenge...

So my classes are normally divided into 3 main sections namely:

Greeting
- Good morning
- How is the weather
- What's the date
- Brief warming-up exercise

Word Pronunciation
- Get the kids to practice the pronunciation of the words
- The topic today was feelings like happy, sad angry, hungry, etc

Game
- Where I sometimes divide the class in teams and they compete in a little game

So everything went well until it was game time...
This one kid started crying and started throwing stuff around in the classroom in anger. The substitute teacher was trying to keep him calm but that wasn't going too well, so she took him outside... I was still unaware as to why this kid was acting like that....
While this was going on... one of the teams won a round of the game, and the losing team was quite upset and didn't want to play anymore... the substitute teacher eventually came and convinced them to give it another try... But alas, they lost again... They were so upset that at least 2 of them started to cry.... I have never seen this class react like this before...So I plan to stop playing competitive games with them.

After the class, the teacher told me that the kid who was crying and throwing the stuff around, is slightly handicapped and he didn't want to play any games..... Oohh boy

Anyway, later I went to karate and they actually gave me free karate gears..... I thought he was just giving me for a short time but he said no it's mine...I learnt some basic training with this guy, then they eventually handed me over to the old strict guy who is wayyyyy too technical for me... If you make a slight mistake he is going to stop and correct you each and every time.

After this, I went to the Friday English conversation then a small birthday party for an ALT around here.

Comments

Niki said…
I never did understand why ppl felt it necessary to broadcast everything on facebook and now twitter. That's one helluva lesson though
davay colly said…
yeah for real... I hardly update those stuff now a days....