Day 64 - Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day 64

Went to my main school today again because the school I was to go to today was gone on some picnic business, so all I did was sat around the computer from 9 am - 4 pm.. Well no a lie, I ate lunch and played football for about 10 minutes.

I got a text message on my phone saying that my phone bill will be ready soon...I went on the internet via my phone and saw the impending phone bill and it never look pretty. IMMEDIATELY I went into a state of depression, because one of the calls that conributed to this bill in a major way, was a half hour call I made to Jamaica which made absolutely no sense whatsoever...most of the local calls I made were to find out information about Germany and them tings... I must admit that when I was driving back to my apartment I was just out of it and started to wonder why the heck am I in this country??? So when I got to the apartment, the first thing I did was to read my Bible and the daily bread...Surprisingly, the over arching theme for today in the daily bread is "Dont worry" based on Matthew 6:25 - 34... Surely, I tell you this really encouraged me and I felt much better afterward. God is good... I must admit that if you are not good at encouraging yourself, don’t come to this country... So X that’s  why mi warning you...

I called one of my friends who went on the interview to come to Japan with me, today... She said in her prefecture, the persons there are down right RACIST... She said even on the trains if she sit beside some of them, they immediately get up and sit elsewhere.. she said its so bad sometimes that even when she go out to empty garbage or something, the neighbours would go in quickly... and sometimes when they see her coming their way, they either walk the other way or walk far away from her in addition to giving her the death stare... Bwoy so far I havent experienced this but just to let you know that the racism thing is here... I heard that my town is one of the more friendlier towns so maybe thats why...I only get the strange looks and the giggles and likkle baby hiding behind their parents.

I went to play soccer with the kids in the evening but this time I never run up and down too hard. There was this little girl there who probably came with her parents and I saw she was giving me the "What is that thing" look... I wasnt paying her much mind but I noticed that anytime I walked anywhere close to her, she run guh behind har father, looking extremely terrified. These are the times when I wish I was back home and not scare anyone away by my appearance or blackness.

After soccer with the kids I went to another ALT gathering...It seem as if this is going to be a every Thursday thing because 2 of the ALTS leaving in August, so them trying to have as much fun as possible before they leave... I just realised that since I got to Japan, my eyes stop twitching. For a good year and a half or so my eyes would twitch which I think was stress related.. The twitches were really annoying...They are gone now.... :)

Blessings my friends

Comments

Anonymous said…
So how about them stares?

I tell ya, at first it was like ok, whatever. Then I was like, Japan grow a freakin' sense of compassion. How would you feel if u moved to another country and every other folk be staring at you. Now, I kinda don't bother to notice. I work in a small town rice growing area but live in a nearby city, so possibly less issues.

But woe to the young lady that have people moving away from her when she comes. I hope she finds a good support system.

Speaking some Japanese eases things at some times, especially when they try to be all slick and use the japanese word for ALT instead. Buddy I'm all hip to they game. I got this and I study everyday. I need to be in the loop.

(ps this be keisha again)
Anonymous said…
First question, which prefecture is your friend in? The one with the extreme racism, me a try keep as far away from dem place deh as possible.

When you think about it though (except for the running and hiding behind their parents) we do the same thing over here when we see tourists. Especially in non-tourist areas like kingston, whenever we see a white person or a japanese/chinese person we do stare for a second. I guess its the same thing there. I bet if you go to somewhere like tokyo where they get lots of visitors the reaction might be different. Well so i think anyway

Popular Posts