Day 75 - Monday, June 2, 2008 - A visit to Okayama city and the German Embassy in Osaka

Day 75 - A visit to Okayama city and the German Embassy in Osaka

Ok so today was a very long day for me trust me. The only day off I am getting for now, and I have to use it to go to the Japanese Immigration office in Okayama city for a re - entry permit, and to Osaka to the German Embassy...

So the day started and from last night I have been calling friends to find out the best route to take and what to say to people and what not, because I would be doing this mission all alone. And my Japanese sucks. Right so first thing is to figure out where to park my car in the morning then get on the 7:23 am train.... I rushed out my apartment about 7:00 am and thought I was pretty early, ooh boy, it seem like all the stop lights between my apartment and the train station decided to stop me this morning. I was anxious and decided that I have to catch this train because Osaka is far away and every where lock by 4pm... In my anxiety, I drove pass the train station and when I realized, it was a little too late... I basically just used the time and tried to figure out where to park my car. I eventually parked at the hotel that I stayed in when I first got to Niimi. I sat in the car very upset with myself because if only I had left out earlier, I would not have missed this train :( . The next train that I could get would be at 8:39 am. So I waited in my car until about 8:15 am then headed for the train station. Only to realize that I locked my car key in my car and left it in the ignition... Boy I guess its a combination of stress and anxiety. I could do nothing but just head straight to the train station and try to forget about what just happened.

So my brain began to work overtime to see how I can get back my car keys when I arrive from Osaka in the evening, as I have work the next morning. First thing I did was called the guy who lived on my apartment complex and before I completed telling him, he said I should tell our head ALT in the area. This girl is kinda cool sometime but honestly, she don't help me that much, or maybe I am expecting too much of her. I called her and she told me to go to the nearest gas station and they should be able to assist me. Remember I speak very little Japanese and I have no clue what I would tell the guys at the station, plus chances are, when I get back, the gas stations would be already closed. So I said to myself, "forget she" cause she not helping mi. So I called the IC (Independent Contractor) which is the person who helped us to move in our apartment as well as get the car etc. She eventually called the car company for me and got them to take out the key... (how difficult was that)...

So waiting in the train station now and of course, you know I hate the crowd of Japanese people because they stare at me and chat all the time. I eventually headed into the 8:39am train, sat by myself and of course prepare myself for the never-ending stares that I know would come. Every time the train stopped, I either hold down my head or just try to go to sleep because I just can't bother with the people who coming on. I eventually got to Okayama city at 10:10 am so I passed phase 1 of my journey which is to get into Okayama city by myself. 

Phase 2 now is to find the immigration office. As I exited the train , I began asking questions. When I walked around a bit, the place started to look familiar, so I went to the information desk and of course the ladies were staring at me in shock (No surprise to me) ... they eventually gave me a map of the area and showed me where the immigration office was. Now if you know me, by now you should realize that maps and them ting deh makes no sense to me. So even though I had the map, I still asked persons where the place was... I was told about a week ago that the process of getting the re entry permit will take up to 2 hours...

The first man I asked where the place was, I simply followed where his finger pointed then tell him thanks, and look behind me if he is trying to tell me wrong direction..The second person I asked where the place is, before I completed the question the man said, wakarimasen, wakarimasen (I don't understand, I don't understand)... I am sure I asked the question clearly in Japanese and asked it the same way I did with the information desk persons and the first guy.... but then I remembered that someone once told me that some Japanese men in particular, as long as you are a foreigner, no matter how good your Japanese is, they just don't want to talk to you and will give you that same answer.

Eventually this other man on a bicycle pointed to the building and showed me the entrance. So yes I found the building and now to go to the 11th floor. Went there with my form already filled out and they sent me to buy a 6000 yen stamp down one floor then back up again. As I got up there, the re entry permit was already in my passport, all of this (not counting the time I took to find the place) took about 10 - 20 minutes instead of the 2 hours I was told... The good thing with Okayama is that even though I didn't see any black persons, I saw more foreigners. In my little town, the ALTs, and maybe 2 other ladies are the only foreigners and that's probably about 16 of us. Any way because I had some time on my hand, I decided to divert a little from my original plan to go to Osaka exactly after I got the permit, and instead went to HIS travel and got my proper flight reservation which should be from:

Osaka, Japan -> Seoul, Korea -> Frankfurt, Germany -> Leipzig, Germany

I got the flight stuff and had to pay about 32000 yen for the Frankfurt -> Leipzig leg of the trip right there, even though I don't get the German visa business yet. Anyway this process that I thought would take about 10 mins, actually took about 1 hour or close.


I quickly rushed to the shinkansen (very very fast train) station and took the train. These now, if you miss one, there will be another one in about 5 minutes tops. I made sure to ask a lady who was dressed like a pilot, if I am at the right place and she said yes, she looked at my ticket then said some Japanese and then three (3) ... So I said ok ok. I don't have a clue what she said I only hear three (3). So I went into the train which was very very comfortable by the way, and jus sat down. Where I was, seemed empty and quiet, so I said to myself nice, no one to stare at me now. Only to see the pilot looking lady come back and basically say "Boss you are in the wrong part of the train, go to number three (3), this section is for those who pay more money "... this wrong part that I was in, was wayyy up number ten (10)... I had to walk about 5 minutes inside the train to get to number 3. I had to now walk past a bunch of Japanese people while the train was bulleting its way ahead, these train drive at over 200 km/ph some of them over 300 km/ph. I don't even look if they were staring at me or not, I just held my head straight and walked past them.

On entering carriage 3, I was greeted with a bunch of smoke. This is the smoking cabin... I walked and walked and looked to see the best part to sit. I eventually jus sit beside dis Japanese man who also was smoking. Is peer smoking go on in this part. The train took about 45 - 50 minutes from Okayama city to get to Osaka. I then had to take another train for 5 minutes to get to the exact place in Osaka where I was going. In Osaka now I actually saw 5 black people, can you believe it??? I saw 2 black men, one black lady walking with 2 black kids that look like them mix with Japanese. The kids have the Japanese eye but bwoyy the hair the hair mi a tell yuh... Neva look suh Japanese at all... And even the black people dem a stare pon mi weird to??? 

I am guessing they are wondering what mi doing there. Well I still got some minor stares in Osaka but because the city so busy, they look at you once then pass by. The stares are not as intense as the ones in my hometown. Plus in Osaka there are wayy wayyy more foreigners, at least now you will see a foreigner in every 30 persons you count..And I can speak English to people who understand it properly..and not have to mix the English and the Japanese. I must admit that the Japanese girls in Osaka are very attractive.

I eventually got to the Umeda sky building, which is where the German embassy is located. This is the 7th tallest building in Osaka and it is a sight to behold with 40 floors. The embassy was on floor 35. I got there at about 1:30 pm and guess what??? The embassy LOCK!!!! I went to the door and attempted to open it, and the German woman ask mi "What yuh want boss? We close at 12:00 noon innuh" (Of course not her actual words) So I said to her that "I thought you said you closed at 4" she said the 4:00 thing is for phone calls. She then asked if it's the visa I am applying for, I said yes and she let me inside... Bwoy God good mi a tell yuh....So I gave her all my documents and she copied them etc. I then paid about 10,000 yen for processing...She then said my bank account with the 60,000 yen too small. I told her I took out the rest of it for business purposes... she said it still too small and then she asked me if I completed paying for my ticket... Mi ask har how mi fi done pay fi it and mi nuh know if mi a get the visa, yuh tink mi nuh have nuh sense ooman??? (Of course, not my actual words) She then said ok, she will hear what the Embassy boss have to say about it, and call me if anything. Then she said that it will take about 3 days to process and they will mail back the pasport to my apartment.....Can you believe the lady had to ask me for an envelope to mail back my passport????

While I was going away with my head in front of me, my mind told me to just glimpse at the lady, when I did, that same familiar stare was piercing in my skin.... I wondered to myself that I thought it's only the Japanese that look at me like that, what's up with you??? Boy I tell you, it's no fun being black in Japan at all... The stares alone will drive you nuts... but I am unapologetic about my blackness, who nuh like it bwoyyy a jus suh....But then again, maybe just maybe it's my mind playing tricks...

Heading back Home to Niimi

Any way all this time, rain was falling like crazy, and now it's time to go home. I can either take the train which is very expensive, or the bus which is half the cost of the train. I know where the train station is but I don't know where the bus stop is... I called all my friends who spoke both English and Japanese... But all were at work. eventually one of the Japanese ladies who come to Bible study call me back and was on the phone with me for a while, helping me out....God bless your soul ... I eventually found the bus stop off her directions. I bought my bus ticket that cost like 3500 yen then bought something to eat... first thing I am eating from I get up at 6 :20 am... For the first time I am in Japan, I see a Japanese mad man on the road... You have at least 5 on the road that I live on in Jamaica. Not to mention if yuh walk across the next road...any way so I then got into the Bus and sat for a little over 3 hours to get back to Niimi... While I was on the bus, another Japanese who come to Bible study said to me that Bible study not keeping at the lady tonight and if I want to still host it at joyful today... I tell her seh bwoy the Heart is more than willing but I am extremely tired, and hey remember I don't get back mi car key yet.....

I walked in the rain to my car then called the IC lady and told her I am there...she then told the lady at the car company I am at the car waiting....In like 10 minutes, the lady was there with my car key and I drove home in the rain... I think I got home at about 7:30 pm.....aaaaaaah what a Day... but God is good... this I think is my most event filled day and thus my longest blog.... well now All unnu can do is pray that if its God's will, I will get that visa...

Blessings and peace my friends... And Hey I know my blog might have many many grammar errors and what not, but hey, as long as you can understand what I am saying, yuh criss...

Comments

Unknown said…
Praise God everyting work out. I thought u were gonna have to go back hom when me read seh di embassy lock. God is really good
Royalti said…
Bwoy Dave, mi feel like mi just go thru the day with u and now me tired! What an experience but God is good ah...U r blessed and highly favoured and do not take that for granted...that visa is urs...peace!
Anonymous said…
Well Dave, u made it all by urself and thank God it's over now... WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!! I'll pray for u that u get the visa and that these ppl dont drive u nuts with the staring... Blessings mi fren
Dave - that was a GOOD day. Bad things happen with Good outcomes. It's those trials and tribulations show u that no place is different from the other.

Dave...suppose i told u Patrice lock up the key in the car yesterday also? Well, Yesterday...our Tuesday). She put the key in the trunk and lock the trunk...alarm armed so doors Lock. She only drive with A/C so u know none of the windows were down - lol
Good thing my mother is given the spare keys.

Good luck with Visa.
Unknown said…
wow Dave this is ur most interesting, tiring and painful blog so far...lol...its like i was travelling wid u...i'm glad u got through and found ur way ok...

I just found out ur there with 2 frenz of mine Brad and Denise..make sure u guys take care of each other!