Day 91 (Observation & Stag Beetles) - Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 91 - Observation & Stag Beetles

Today I had my first set of observations and to say it was intimidating would be too light. This observation involved principals and teachers from all over the area... All of them staring at me intently and writing down Japanese on a piece of paper... Suh even if I was to peek at one of the papers, I wouldn't have a clue what it was saying... There were about 20 people watching me, and they were taking pictures and taping it... My my my, it was something else I tell you... The thing is that, I wasn't the only one nervous; The Japanese teacher was there dying as well... Ohh it's funny to see how these teachers react when they are nervous... I have 2 more days of this nerve-racking experience... Oh Lord of my salvation be with me...

I am still wondering if this was a serious thing though, or they are doing it intentionally to mess up people nerves... Because one a di time dem, mi si one of the observers standing and sleeping... and nearly buck and drop.... Not many people saw but I spotted him... I nearly buss out a laugh in the middle of the observation...

In my grade 6 class, I made a blunder. I am teaching about different types of food in English like Hamburger, french fries, pudding and those stuff. So near to the end of the lesson, I was supposed to read out a recipe for pudding to the class but they should guess what the recipe was... So at the top of the page was, "Recipe for Pudding" and of course that was the first thing I read out aloud... Then the teacher quickly stopped me and said no no, while laughing and the kids laughing at me as well... 

Then she explained it to me properly... Is because she didn't explain it to mi properly das why that happen :) .... Luckily this class was not one of the observation classes mi a tell yuh cause woyyyyy.... it would not look pretty... Well there were 2 recipes so I did the second one properly...

After work, I went home then to our usual Wednesday English Conversation thingy... We sat and chatted about all manner of good and evil. I learn many stuff about Japan as well as the culture of other countries at this
sitting. 

I had no clue that the Japanese use limestone in their toothpaste as well as their pastry stuff like cakes and cookies... And I now confirm it today that most Japanese seem to be enthused about bugs and dem ting there that I don't like at all... Look at these stag beetles that they are holding... The man who drive us to this thing said he is going to invite us to a castle on July 19...

2 of mi Jamaican friends from a prefecture name Kobe (after which the basketball player Kobe Bryant was named, because his dad lived in that city I was told) called me and we chatted for a little while. They are JET ALTs in Kobe, my new friends Memry and her husband...

Any way laters..

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey! Mems and Ovando turn celebrity! Thats my brother and sister!!
Greetings Dave, we are indeed proud of you and are confident that you will do well as an ambassador of Christ and Jamaica.

Bjorn Borrows se fi hail yu up.

Stephen J
Royalti said…
Dave you are NOT looking a little slim in comparison to u in earlier days. But what the ek, even if so, it just takes getting use to, right? The tatics to the whole nerve-wrecking assessment thingy is just to be! Obviuosly u keep checking out these assessors to the point that you realized one fell asleep...that throws u off guard man, they are not there k. Look thru them and not at them! Put up the forth wall, you perform yea!