Day 136 - Saturday, August 2, 2008 - Jamaicans in Leipzig, Germany and German Marriage Tradition
Day 136 - Germany Chapter 6
So we had our final Jamaican devotional exercise together then we headed off to the tram. I also missed the general Bible study and went late to the small gathering afterwards again like yesterday. The group got even smaller, 2 more Americans disappeared but another one was added. The new girl came late because she decided to ride a bicycle to the Conference center, and she said it took 30 mins. We then ate lunch together and at lunch, me and one of the German guys were chatting about lots of Naruto and Bleach. After this we all went to our different regional meetings. I went of course to the Caribbean regional meeting with about 130 people from the Caribbean. Countries represented were: Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad, Bahamas and Puerto Rico.
So we had our final Jamaican devotional exercise together then we headed off to the tram. I also missed the general Bible study and went late to the small gathering afterwards again like yesterday. The group got even smaller, 2 more Americans disappeared but another one was added. The new girl came late because she decided to ride a bicycle to the Conference center, and she said it took 30 mins. We then ate lunch together and at lunch, me and one of the German guys were chatting about lots of Naruto and Bleach. After this we all went to our different regional meetings. I went of course to the Caribbean regional meeting with about 130 people from the Caribbean. Countries represented were: Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad, Bahamas and Puerto Rico.
I still am not sure what group Puerto Rico belong to, whether Caribbean or Latin America... The same thing happened when I went to Brazil, not even they seem to be too sure where they belong either. Because, they are located in the Caribbean, but they are Spanish speaking and would seem to identify more with the Latin American culture... There were 2 Puerto Ricans in our meeting and when it was over, I also saw a couple of Puerto Ricans coming out of the Latin America meeting. At our Caribbean meeting, they basically discussed the upcoming Caribbean Baptist Youth Conference, to be held in Bahamas in July 2009. So I decided not to perform at the open air thing, letting down the German girl... I am going to have to dodge her if/when I see her.
I forgot to mention that I saw this guy who I initially met before in Grenada (2007) and another guy (Director of BWA Youth Department) who I met in Trinidad ( 2006). Also another 2 girls that I met in Grenada (2007), who are both from Virginia.
I then went and bought a couple of souvenirs and T-shirts etc from the conference, then went to choir rehearsal at 4pm. Stayed at choir rehearsal until 8 pm so I missed a tour of Leipzig that was going on. We, the people on the choir had to be waiting for about 30 mins or more for a producer lady to give us the go-ahead. So yes, we are now ready for the big day tomorrow where about 6000 people will be watching us perform in a hall plus it will be shown on TV in all of Leipzig. Mi ago come pon TV in Germany and mi neva yet come pon TV in Jamaica. After the rehearsal, I was speaking to this Italian girl then I got a drop from this German youth leader guy to go to a final concert thing in an open area (Augustuplatz) in Leipzig. Did I mention that on every corner in Germany there is a either a couple a Benz, BMW, VW, Opel and/or Audi vehicles???
I forgot to mention that I saw this guy who I initially met before in Grenada (2007) and another guy (Director of BWA Youth Department) who I met in Trinidad ( 2006). Also another 2 girls that I met in Grenada (2007), who are both from Virginia.
I then went and bought a couple of souvenirs and T-shirts etc from the conference, then went to choir rehearsal at 4pm. Stayed at choir rehearsal until 8 pm so I missed a tour of Leipzig that was going on. We, the people on the choir had to be waiting for about 30 mins or more for a producer lady to give us the go-ahead. So yes, we are now ready for the big day tomorrow where about 6000 people will be watching us perform in a hall plus it will be shown on TV in all of Leipzig. Mi ago come pon TV in Germany and mi neva yet come pon TV in Jamaica. After the rehearsal, I was speaking to this Italian girl then I got a drop from this German youth leader guy to go to a final concert thing in an open area (Augustuplatz) in Leipzig. Did I mention that on every corner in Germany there is a either a couple a Benz, BMW, VW, Opel and/or Audi vehicles???
I met up with some other Jamaicans, Germans and Austrians. Met my friend from Austria who I knew from Virginia (2005), he introduced me to some other Germans and Austians. Me and my Jamaican friend then went with them to a little bar. On the road there, we bucked up into a bunch of German women. They surrounded us and asked us to buy something from them in order to help their friend, a bride-to-be, to assist in paying for her wedding.
So they come and tell you that they will kiss you if you buy whatever them selling .... My Jamaican bought a little souvenir vodka thing from them. So this was actually the second set of ladies that I saw doing this German tradition thing. The men also do something similar plus walk around with this big cannon ball thing on their foot. I am guessing that it is symbolic of them being in prison after they get married... :) If marriage is like prison, then Im not quite ready yet...
Comments