Day 153 (Kenshu - Training Japanese Teachers) - Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Day 153 (Kenshu - Training Japanese Teachers)
Left out about 10:45 am to go to this place name Katsuyama Bunka center, in Maniwa, but one problem....I have no clue where it is, outside of the Japanese map I got from my company, and the directions from my friends. So, I was told to drive on the expressway/toll road and when I got there, I didn't know what to do (Actually I almost drove past the area where the toll is located). So the toll people gave me a ticket and basically gesticulated that I shouldn't pay now but pay at the exit of the toll. So I entered the toll road (ooh boy), and as soon as I was about to go further on it, 2 massive trucks flew pass me blowing their horns. Instantly I wanted to disappear and was shaking in fear, but I summed up some courage and drove on in the rain. So I drove for about an hour on the toll road which wasn't too bad then I made it to the exit that I was told to go on, called Ochiai...I eventually got to the place after making only 1 wrong turn and asking a couple of questions....
I then met up with the English coordinator for the Board of Education in that area. Shortly after that, I met up with 2 other persons who work with my company. A male and a female who were both married to a Japanese and both have 2 children. Their children know more Japanese than they do though. The lady is now living in Japan for 8 years and the guy for 5 years. We then met and sorted out exactly what we were going to teach the Japanese teachers. After our short meeting, they placed us in 3 groups to facilitate 11-13 Japanese teachers each. I gave a brief introduction and mentioned that I was from Jamaica and they were like "woooooooh". Of course they started to talk about the Olympics and then they told me congratulations, darn I felt so proud of my country :)....
Anyway, I taught them 4 things:
- How to ask for different stationeries in English
- How to read the clock in English
- Some words and phrases used by us as ALTs when relating to them as well as the children
- How to ask for directions
They seemed to have enjoyed the 1 hour lesson and clapped me afterward, but as I said before, I will probably never know the truth... The guy ALT and a representative from my company, gave me directions back to my city via another road. They also assured me that it was pretty easy to get back because there are many signs to direct me. So I tried my luck and to my surprise, It took about 1 hour to get back and I made no wrong turns, wow don't you think I am improving ??:-) clap mi nuh
I stopped at Joyful and had a pizza and some vegetable salad. I then went to watch the Dark Knight which was pretty decent. I was also invited by the JET Alts to go to Okayama city tomorrow to a welcome party for the New Okayama JET ALTs. Hey this beats staying home all day.
Comments
Congrats Dave you're improving.
I must say you are like the only male (to date) i know that admits when they're lost and asks for direction. Maybe its because you're in a foreign country?
Anyways kudos to you Dave!
Bless