Day 212 { Katakana / Meeting 1 for TV Show } - Friday, October 17, 2008
Day 212 { Meeting 1 for TV Show }
Visited my furthest school today and I took the supposedly longer route, but got there quicker than when I take the supposedly shorter route. I think that maybe because the shorter route involves too much winding roads so I can't get to drive as fast as I would like to ;) but the longer route is an express way so if there is no police in sight, then its only natural to ahm um try to get to work as early as possible :)
I didn't realise that Katakana, which is the set of alphabet that the Japanese use to call foreign words, especially English words, was so remarkably close to English in its pronunciation. I was reading a book to the Grade 1-2 kids at this school, and the book had katakana characters to go with the English words. So I asked this kid to read it. I could not believe that he was saying the exact things that were written in the book in almost perfect English. But, even though they can say the stuff, they don't have a clue what it means. Like my name "Dave Collymore" would sound like "Deibu Kodimora"
After work, I had to rush to the meeting with the TV Show persons. So I am supposed to be the host of this TV program that's going to be entitled...Drum roll......
Dave no eigo de yuute minsee ..... which means
Dave says it in English
So they are planning that, I go to different parts of my area, like to a college, a grocery store, etc and say the English words for certain things... I was giving them a whole lot of ideas and they seemed to enjoy my vibe and my ideas. But as I mentioned before, this is just basically community service and I won't get a dollar. They gave me a script, that they will revisit and they will tell me when the actual production begins...I am kinda excited about it because I love these things... Whenever I start it, you will know...
Later for now..
Visited my furthest school today and I took the supposedly longer route, but got there quicker than when I take the supposedly shorter route. I think that maybe because the shorter route involves too much winding roads so I can't get to drive as fast as I would like to ;) but the longer route is an express way so if there is no police in sight, then its only natural to ahm um try to get to work as early as possible :)
I didn't realise that Katakana, which is the set of alphabet that the Japanese use to call foreign words, especially English words, was so remarkably close to English in its pronunciation. I was reading a book to the Grade 1-2 kids at this school, and the book had katakana characters to go with the English words. So I asked this kid to read it. I could not believe that he was saying the exact things that were written in the book in almost perfect English. But, even though they can say the stuff, they don't have a clue what it means. Like my name "Dave Collymore" would sound like "Deibu Kodimora"
After work, I had to rush to the meeting with the TV Show persons. So I am supposed to be the host of this TV program that's going to be entitled...Drum roll......
Dave no eigo de yuute minsee ..... which means
Dave says it in English
So they are planning that, I go to different parts of my area, like to a college, a grocery store, etc and say the English words for certain things... I was giving them a whole lot of ideas and they seemed to enjoy my vibe and my ideas. But as I mentioned before, this is just basically community service and I won't get a dollar. They gave me a script, that they will revisit and they will tell me when the actual production begins...I am kinda excited about it because I love these things... Whenever I start it, you will know...
Later for now..
Comments