Day 274 { Lions Club Invitation } - Thursday, December 18, 2008

Day 274 { Lions Club Invitation }

Took some photos with the grade 6 class at my Thursday school today. A teacher at my main school told me that these kids are going to link up with my main school kids at Jr. High school next year. She further said that the main school kids are afraid to be in class with my Thursday school kids because the main school kids are mostly shy and withdrawn while the Thursday school kids are very talkative, playful and way more sociable. I think that would be good for my main school kids though....

Anyway, the lions club in my area, invited all of the ALTs around here to a gathering of some sort... I got the email from my company about 2 weeks ago... All it said was to indicate whether I would like to go or not... So because I want to get the most out of this place, I said, ok let me go.... I however thought that this was an invitation from The Board of Education and not necessarily the Lions club... So in my mind it was just another social gathering of sorts. One of my ALT friends then asked me if I could drop him to the lions club thing... I told him that I don't know because I should be attending a "Board of Education thing" ... It turned out that it was the same thing so I told him that I would give him a lift.

Plus it would work out better for me, as I don't know where the place was... It so happens that later in the day, my friend decided to go with his girlfriend, so now I don't know how to find this place...He then told me that I could follow behind them... Now I had no idea what to wear at this thing, so because, in my mind it was a party, and nobody saw the need to further inform me about this thing, I decided to wear my usual sweater and other "Try to be as warm as possible" clothes... Low and behold, while I was driving to go follow my ALT friend and his girlfriend, a good bunch of the other ALTs who were well dressed up in Jacket, ties and very elegantly looking clothes stopped me in the heavy traffic... Now I was surprised that they were all dressed up like this... So I wanted to go back home and wear my jacket and stuff. However, the traffic was a bit too much to turn back, plus we were already running a little late, like good foreigners living up to our status ....

So I went right ahead in my "I want to be warm" clothes ...... The other Alts that came with me were supposed to go with a taxi...this was so funny... Apparently, the taxi was across from us waiting, but they weren't sure so they were all in my car... They eventually jumped out of my car and as soon as they approached the taxi, it drove off...So they ran back in my car... Then the taxi pulled up behind me ... So they ran out again and approached the taxi...only to see the taxi drove off and stopped in front of my car this time....So the Alts ran back in my car...When they saw that the taxi was not moving from in front of my car, they ran out again towards the taxi...and again it drove off.... Ohh it was like a game of cat and mouse and I found it crazy funny .... What I want to know is why the taxi kept coming close to us and driving off...

All the Alts sat at a table and outside of being the only black guy in the building, I was the only person in the entire room of about 100 persons, who was wearing a sweater and jeans...Every single man was wearing a Jacket and a tie.... Every single female was well dressed...But guess what? I really didn't care nor did I feel bad in the least. Why?? because as I said earlier, not a single person told me the dress occasion...Not my company, not anybody from the lions club, not any of the ALTS... So I went there looking very, outstandingly ghetto... I am almost 100% sure that there were some negative whispers... But anyway I am not in the least concerned... So

We introduced ourselves and ate a bunch of stuff. There was also a raffle afterward and my friend from Canada thought his ticket won and mistakingly went up..Only to realize that it wasn't his number... They however gave him a cake... Another ALT, also thought she won and mistakingly went up..But oops, she didn't win either, and the worst thing is that, she speaks the best Japanese out of all the other ALTS... After the event, we took some pictures, then I dropped my Canadian friend to his place and I went to play soccer... And I complain every day about me being tired... Well tomorrow is the last day of work until January 8, 2009 so Hooorayyyyy!!!!

...its fine to give my blog to your students... mondainai

Richard, that's exactly what I am going to do concerning the random invitations where no costs are mentioned.

Comments

Dave...Dave...Dave!!!!!
Them Japanese girl deh....jah know...sell off. The one in the front left - WHOA, pretty and teeth proper. I hope u never let them get away without phone #'s.