A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Days 1103 - 1109 Sunday, March 27, 2011 - Saturday, April 2, 2011

Days 1103 - 1109 Sunday, March 27, 2011 - Saturday, April 2, 2011


Day 1103
Sunday, March 27, 2011

Went to church and told them good bye for now. I still have some stuff I need to get rid of from my apartment before all is well. When leaving your apartment in Japan, you have to make certain that it is as how you got it initially, or else you have to pay 30,000 yen. Luckily, my very good friend was given an empty apartment, and we use it to store stuff. So I brought my heated table ( Kotatsu ) and a book shelf up there.

I then went to pick up a friend of mine (who I initially met in Jamaica) and we had lunch together.

Bad News

The rescue team found the first foreign victim of the tsunami.


Virginia parents are told the worst

A Virginia couple are mourning the death of their daughter after learning that her body was found in the disaster-ravaged Tohoku region, where she had been teaching English.
Taylor Anderson, 24, could be the first known American victim in the disaster as authorities continue the daunting task of finding and identifying almost 13,000 people believed to be missing.
Anderson's family said in a statement that the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo called them Monday to tell them her body was found in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20110323a9.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1104 ( Changing Car / Personalized Rag )
Monday, March 28, 2011

Went to the post office today to do an address change and to tell the people there farewell. They all stood up and wish me all the best. Again, I almost broke down, never expected them to do this. But again, my pride held strong.

My Jamaican friend in Okayama city said she would take my printer. So I gave my printer to a Japanese friend of mine who was heading to Okayama city, and she passed it on to my Jamaican friend. Thanks Chiyoko.

Went to my car dealer along with my friend who is supposed to buy it from me. I gave them some documents and so I should no longer own this car starting from March 31. My car mechanic then asked me if I could have dinner with them tomorrow.

I then went to the dentist to get my bi annual cleaning, then went to Bible study in the night to tell them sayonara. They made cinnamon roll (I really like this) and they gave me a personalized towel and rag set as a goodbye gift.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1105 (Dinner with Car Mechanics)
Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Changed my bank book today, because I had no more pages left on it to do transactions. I then gave my old tires from my previous car to my car dealer. The tires were sitting at the back of my apartment for about 2 years. My car dealer said it would normally cost about 800 yen per tire but he will be taking them for free. Thats a relief because I am totally broke with all this moving thing going on.

I then had lunch with my landlord then got my final haircut in Niimi.

In the evening I went to dinner with my car mechanic and some of his family members and co workers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Day 1106 { The Moving Truck Cometh }
Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The moving truck came today to take my stuff away. At first it seemed like everything could not hold in the moving truck locker. But the truck guys somehow moved around the stuff and made it all fit in along with my bicycle.

In the evening, I went to dinner with some of my Japanese friends as well as my karate/darts friend Andrew.








~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1107 { Final Bills / Final Goodbyes}
Thursday, March 31, 2011






Paid my final rent fee today and while I was going to withdraw some money from a nearby ATM, I saw a foreigner at the machine who I didn't recognize. I figured that this person was my replacement, so I told her hello, then she said hi and sped off. I hope you enjoy Niimi Latasha :D It can be a fun place but it can also be a lonely at times.

While I was cleaning what was once my car, to pass it on to its new owner, a couple utility guys came for their final bill payments. So I paid my final electricity, water and gas bills. It all came up to over 22,000 yen. I am still in shock about the gas bill which was about 11,000 yen.

Peter, a good friend of mine and now the new owner of my car, then came to pick up the car. Told him and another ALT farewell as they went off.

Shortly after this, I did my final final packing up and cleaning of the apartment. My good Japanese friend Hiroshi then came to pick me up and took me to the Niimi train station. I was then greeted by my Landlord, his family and some other good friends who came to see me off.

When I got on the train and looked through the window, I saw everyone waving goodbye at the train, that was when I broke down in tears on the train. But I simply held down my head.

When I got to Okayama, I met up with the Japanese guy who helped me to translate a few poems in my book. He went to Jamaica in February so I asked him to buy some banana chips and a strawberry syrup for me in Jamaica.

I then took the bus from Okayama to Yokohama.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Day 1108 {Welcome to YOKOHAMA}
Friday, April 1, 2011

I arrived at Yokohama at about 6:00 am and I had no idea where to go. This was my first time in Yokohama city ever. Yokohama city is the second biggest city in Japan in terms of population. Second only to Tokyo which is only 30 mins away. Yokohama city is in the prefecture of Kanagawa, but because Yokohama city is more popular than Kanagawa prefecture, almost everyone calls the entire prefecture Yokohama. Yokohoma city has 18 wards, and I will be living in the southern most ward which is called Kanazawa ward. An American army base is about 20-30 mins from where I will be living. The area of the American base is called Yokosuka.

Anyway, after arriving at Yokohama, I had no clue where to go, so I simply walked around not knowing where I am going. I then asked some persons to direct me to the Yokohama train station. When I got there, I asked someone to direct me to an internet cafe. I finally found one and stayed there until about 10:00 am.

I was now suppose to meet the person who is sorting out my apartment, at the closest station to my apartment. I went there and waited for about 10 mins, then she came. We walked to my new apartment which took about 7 minutes up a hill, then had to go up 3 flights of stairs. When I got to my new apartment, it was wayyy smaller than what it said on the internet. So I was quite a bit disappointed. I expressed my dissatisfaction to the Korean lady who was working for the apartment agency, and she was apologizing like crazy. However, I have little or no choice now as I am already here and the papers are ready. The good thing though is that the apartment is pretty close to the station.

I had to then sign a whole lot of papers about not disturbing my neighbors and that I will not destroy the apartment etc etc. My company was trying to discourage me from this paper work stuff but I chose instead to go through with it. The thing is that if I used my company, they would take care of the paper work and other difficult stuff yes, BUT if you leave the company, you also have to leave the apartment. I didn't want to take that chance plus when the company offered to help me with apartments, they initially introduced to me apartments that cost 70,000 -80,000 yen per month. The one that I searched for on my own cost only 43,000 yen.

Anyway, I payed my first apartment fee to the Korean lady and she showed me where the nearest super markets and stores are. A very big mall is like only 1 train stop away. And they actually have KFC and Mcdonalds there and at almost every other train stop. So I went around the area to buy some blankets, a futon and some other random stuff like curtains etc. I also went to the ward office to register my new address and also got some information about the area from them.

This last photo is my apartment complex.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1109 { Re stocking Apartment }
Saturday, April 2, 2011

My stuff from Okayama got delivered today, and they can hardly fit properly in my new apartment. I then went out to purchase some more needed stuff for the apartment like shower curtains, pots and pans and a folding chair etc... I am now re living Japan all over again, as the people are still staring at me and there are not a lot of foreigners around where I live. Actually you can say that I live in the country part of the city. But the main city area is only like 15-20 mins away by train and cost only 230 yen to get there. As against 1450 yen in Niimi and takes over 1 hr 30 mins .... Also a movie theater is just 5 mins away. As against 1 hr when living in Niimi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Dwayne, I know you from long time. You and your twin brother. I know that you migrated a long time ago as well. You guys used to come to my church wayyy back in the days. Anyway, I would suggest that if you have a good job now in the USA, keep it. Job security for foreigners in Japan is not the best. Unless you can work for a Japanese company in the USA, then request a transfer. Outside of this, its not a good idea to come here in search of jobs.

However, you can do what most other foreigners do. Try to teach English there, then get married to a Japanese lady. That will allow you to at least get your legal residency there. But job security bro... not the best.

@Richard, the computer recognize that something is plugged into the USB port but it doesn't know what is there and the drive don't show up in the drive selection in "my computer".

5 comments:

Latasha said...

wow yokohama looks crazy amazing. i:m still a fish outta water in niimi though. xD good luck with everything.

Latasha said...

hey. that wasn`t me. i wasn`t in niimi yet. it would have been cool if we did see each other so i could have picked your brain

dwayne2d3d said...

hey Dave thanks for taking the time to answer my question...
i actually did get the job to teach there, but job security and another serious reason made me decline, they told me that they'll let me know May the 1st if they well give me another opportunity to come in September.

Last thing that i want to say is that you have an incredible memory, either that or my memory just suck..

If i do come there in September i'll let you know...
気を付けって

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

Dave - dont know how you stay skinny with all that eating - lol

Деян Кривошеенко said...

What I really appreciate in apartments in Lublin for rent is lightning space. Then everything looks fresh and optimistic.
Poland is a very nice country. My dream flat in Lublin should have ingenious plan space, where everything have its
own place well here i find it http://apartmentsinlublin.com/ my dream flat.