A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Friday, April 23, 2010

Days 760 - 766 <{ }> Sunday - Saturday, April 18- April 23, 2010

Days 760 - 766 <{ }> Sunday - Saturday, April 18- April 23, 2010

Day 760
Sunday, April 18, 2010

Left from Hiroshima and went back to Okayama city by bus. It took about 2hrs and 30 mins. I missed the stop for the train station, because I wasn't sure where to get off. But the driver told me to take another bus to the Okayama station. That took only about 7 mins.

I then went to the second part of the Christian conference and it went pretty well. My bible study leader on Mondays was there with her husband, and they took me home.

=========================
=========================

Day 761 { Exhaus
ted / 113 Years Old }
Monday, April 19, 2010

I was exhausted after work today, maybe because of my up and down on the road since Friday. I was so exhausted at work that I had very little power while teaching. I hope that the teachers didn't notice.




Jiroemon Kimura, the oldest man in Japan, celebrated his 113th birthday Monday with about a dozen family members at his home in Kyotango, Kyoto Prefecture.

Surrounded by his great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren, Kimura finished his festive plate of red rice and grilled sea bream for lunch, and smiled when he was handed a birthday cake.

When he was told that the record for longevity for a Japanese male is 120, Kimura said "it might be a little difficult" to break the record, "but that makes it all the more worthwhile" to try.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20100421a7.html
=========================
=========================

Day 762 {Man Held For Hurling Baby }
Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I was also very tired today but better than yesterday. After work, I went to the Niimi College to see a presentation done by a half Chinese/half Japanese guy. His English is pretty decent and he speaks Japanese and Mandarin - Chinese. His presentation was mostly about his one year living in Canada.


A 23-year-old man was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of seriously injuring his 9-month-old daughter by throwing her against a bedroom wall in their home here.

Police said Yuki Okada, who works in an adult entertainment shop, has admitted to the allegation, saying he "did it because (the baby) did not stop crying even though I was cradling" her.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20100421b2.html

=========================
=========================

Day 763 { English Teaching Companies Maybe In Trouble }
Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Did nothing really today, except spoke to the bible study leader on Mondays for about 1hr 30 mins.


Geos Corp., a major operator of foreign-language schools, has filed for bankruptcy with the Tokyo District Court with debts of ¥7.5 billion, and rival G.communication Co. will take over some of the defunct company's schools, the two companies announced Wednesday.

Tokyo-based Geos, which has 2,100 employees, said it suffered poor earnings with dwindling number of students amid the recession and consumer distrust toward the industry stemming from the failure in 2007 of another major language-school operator, Nova Corp.

G.communication, which took over operations of some Nova schools, said it will do its best to secure employment for Geos employees.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20100422a1.html

=========================
=========================
Day 764 { Book Almost Finished / I love Thursdays }
Thursday, April 22, 2010

At work, I showed one of the teachers, the office lady and the school nurse, 2 poems from the book I'm writing. They said the translation to Japanese is good but the love poems will cause many Japanese girls to blush heavily. Which is a good and bad thing. Because in Japan, strong and passionate love words are hardly ever used if at all, it may seem unnatural for the girls to see and hear certain words. Even a simple sentence as "I love you", is hardly used in the Japanese vocabulary. So the stuff I have in my poetry about kissing and holding etc, might cause some heavy blushing....

The picture I have to the left is an idea from a friend of mine, concerning how my front cover might look. I am still exploring other ideas...

In the evening, I played football at the college and it was really exciting. The guys and girls there think I am an incredible player.... But they seem to figure out that after 10 mins or so, I'm fully exhausted. I met some very bold first year girls who were asking me a whole lot of questions. Stuff like my age and if I am married and what not. I guess that a good amount of the younger generation of Japanese, are not so shy.

Even after enjoying the time thoroughly at the college, and being very tired, I still went to the usual Thursday night football with the other guys. I was the only foreigner there tonight though and I finally managed to score 2 goals... I realize now that Thursday is my favourite day of the week.

===========================
===========================

Day 765
Friday, April 23, 2010

Went to the bank ATM today with a friend of mine to pay for a ticket. We then went to a coffee shop, had tea and spoke for a while about life in Japan and all manner of stuff. He is trying to organize for us to have some sort of dinner with other ALTs and interested Japanese persons on Wednesdays.

I then went to karate, played football at the college and went to the Friday English conversation thing at the bible study leader's house.

==========================
==========================

Day 766 { Toyota's Rank Dips }
Saturday, April 24, 2010

Stayed in for the entire day doing almost nothing.



Toyota Motor Corp. has fallen to 360th in the Forbes ranking of the world's leading companies for 2010, plunging from third the previous year.

The sharp drop came after the automaker was hit by a spate of recalls worldwide and a decline in sales amid the global auto market slump.

Only three Japanese companies — NTT Corp., Mitsubishi Corp. and HondaMotor Co. — were ranked in the top 100, compared with 11 the previous year, indicating the diminished presence of domestic firms in the global economy. NTT was ranked 41st, Mitsubishi 78th and Honda 86th.

Major financial groups also fell in the rankings, hit by deteriorating earnings, with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc. dropping to 369th from 21st.

China, moving in the opposite direction, had seven firms in the top 100, with Industrial and Commercial Bank of China ranked fifth.

JPMorgan Chase topped the rankings, followed by General Electric andBank of America.


http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nb20100423a3.html

No comments: