A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Days 1194 - 1200 Sunday, June 26, 2011 - Saturday, July 2, 2011

Days 1194 - 1200

Sunday, June 26, 2011 - Saturday, July 2, 2011



Day 1194 { Japan Has more World Heritage sites }
Sunday, June 26, 2011

Went to church this morning. I sold 2 of my books there. Its almost a year since my book was released.

I can't find a barber who will trim as well as shave my face for cheap. So I went to a store today to buy a face shaver. They unfortunately didn't have any there so I had to order one online.


Japan Has More World Heritage sites

The Ogasawara Islands, a habitat for rare animals and plants in the western Pacific, was named as a World Heritage site Friday by UNESCO, government officials said.

News photo
Celebrating scuba style: Members of the Ogasawara Diving Center hold a sign that reads, "Congratulations Ogasawara World Natural Heritage Site," in waters off Chichijima Island. KYODO PHOTO

"It brings us great joy to have a fourth World Natural Heritage site for our country and it's a piece of news that encourages us who have been enduring the (natural and nuclear) disasters (in northeast Japan)," said Environment Minister Ryu Matsumoto.

The chain of about 30 islands about 1,000 km south of Tokyo is home to many indigenous species because it has never been connected to a continent. It has been dubbed the "Galapagos in the Orient" for its rich and distinctive natural assets, which include the Bonin flying fox, an endangered bat.



http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20110626a5.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1195 { Radioactive urine :O }
Monday, June 27, 2011

After work today I got to my apartment and slept as soon as I got there. I am trying to get used to this teaching in the city thing but my body so far is not keeping up. Or is it that I am getting old?


Radioactive urine :O

More than 3 millisieverts of radiation has been measured in the urine of 15 Fukushima residents of the village of Iitate and the town of Kawamata, confirming internal radiation exposure, it was learned Sunday.


Both are about 30 to 40 km from the Fukushima No. 1 power plant, which has been releasing radioactive material into the environment since the week of March 11, when the quake and tsunami caused core meltdowns.

"This won't be a problem if they don't eat vegetables or other products that are contaminated," said Nanao Kamada, professor emeritus of radiation biology at Hiroshima University. "But it will be difficult for people to continue living in these areas."

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20110627a2.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1196 { Got my face shaver }
Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Today was so hot, I felt like I was going to faint while I was teaching. The worst thing is that the classrooms at this school doesn't have any form of cooling system in place. Luckily the staff room has AC. I notice since my first observation the Board of Education members are popping up more and more in my classes without any warning whatsoever. Although it is only for about 5 minutes or so, but still.

After work today, I stopped by my friend's apartment a bit, then went back to my apartment where I collected my face shaver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1197
{ Angry/Busy Japanese Girls }
Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Today was also quite a bit hot. Believe me when I say that the heat in Jamaica is absolutely nothing compared to that of Japan. Its hot and humid here.

The music teacher at my school today was the English coordinator last year. She is now on maternity leave and should be expecting her child between say August and September. So there is a new music teacher now. The music teachers and the office staff persons seem to speak to me more at these schools, than the normal teachers.
Well to be fare, the normal teachers are usually extremely busy. I remember when I used to play soccer with some students at the Niimi College, a guy told me to stay away from Japanese female teachers and nurses. He said because they are always busy and will get angry very quickly and easily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1198 { Company meeting #3 }
Thursday, June 30, 2011

I finally got paid today. I was waiting on this one probably more than all the others in the past. After work today I had a company meeting. I got there a bit later than normal because of the location of my school today. After the meeting, my head teacher asked me and another guy in our group, if we could possibly give a presentation next week. It has something to do with our experience working for this company and what we have overcame etc etc.

After the meeting I paid my rent and some other bills.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1199 { 1 year since my book release }
Friday, July 1, 2011

Today makes 1 year since my book was released in Niimi, Okayama, Japan. So far I think I sold approximately 150 copies, which is not too bad for a first try I think.

After work at my school today (my main school), the English coordinator called me and told me that I am leaving from work too early. She said the teachers sometime want to speak to me about the next English class but most times I am gone. I find this a bit odd because I am there all day and the teachers would totally ignore me. These meetings to plan the next lesson only take about 5 mins maximum. I am sure throughout the day they can at least find 5 mins to come to speak to me. Any way, I will stay back a bit longer and see if anyone will come and speak to me, if not, I will call them up and force them to talk with me for 5 mins about the next lesson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1200 { Cracked.com Day }
Saturday, July 2, 2011

I feel bad about this but I almost literally spent the entire day today reading cracked.com articles. I found this one especially interesting ...

Can you believe that these animals actually exist??

13 Real Animals Lifted Directly Out of Your Nightmares


Theridion grallatora, Barreleye fish


















How about seeing a maggot under a microscope? This is what it looks like:















Read more: 13 Real Animals Lifted Directly Out of Your Nightmares | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article/125_13-real-animals-lifted-directly-out-your-nightmares_p2/#ixzz1R0sEx2V0

2 comments:

Niki said...

u really spend a lot of time on cracked.com

Kiyoshi Yamauchi said...

Congratulations on the first anniversary of your first book!
I am looking forward to helping your second one too!

Kiyoshi Yamauchi