A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Days 1201 - 1207 Sunday, July 3, 2011 - Saturday, July 9, 2011

Days 1201 - 1207

Sunday, July 3, 2011 - Saturday, July 9, 2011



Day 1201 { Snake on the Train }
Sunday, July 3, 2011

Should have visited a church with a friend today but he was out too late last night. So instead I pretty much stayed in and updated my blog.



A train on the Tokaido Shinkansen Line was halted at Maibara Station on Monday to capture a 1-meter snake found lounging on a passenger seat.


The red-and-black snake, believed to be a nonvenomous Honduran milk snake, was spotted at 8:55 a.m. between Shin-Osaka and Kyoto, according to Central Japan Railway Co.

The snake was captured by the staff of an animal protection center near Maibara Station, the next stop after Kyoto for Tokyo-bound bullet trains.

None of the 200 or so passengers on the Tokyo-bound train were injured, the railroad said.

It believes the snake is probably a pet brought onboard by a passenger who failed to notice that it had escaped from its cage, it said, adding that police are searching for the owner.


http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nn20110705a7.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1202 ( Slight Hearing Trouble )
Monday, July 4, 2011

Because the English coordinator told me to stay until 3:30 last Friday, I stayed. And as expected, no teacher said even a single word to me about planning the next lesson. This proves that they just really don't want to see me leave earlier, even if I have nothing to do. My other schools are fine with, but not this school it seem.

For about 2 weeks now my left ear has been ringing almost none stop. Most times I don't notice it, but if I stop and think for a while, it is very much there. So I went to the doctor today to check it out. They performed some sort of hearing test and the doctor said that I am having difficulty picking up low frequency sounds. I hear them but I respond to them very slowly. Lord help mi....




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1203 ( Twisted Ankle Again )
Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The English supporter at one of my schools, followed me to a school nearby my apartment today to play football. Three teachers who I work with also came to play football there. In all about 11 of us went. All teachers from elementary schools nearby.

At one point I was dribbling towards the goal, then I suddenly twisted my left ankle. I had to sit and watch for the remaining time. They called me to try again but when I kicked a ball, the pain was too much. A teacher from my main school who was also playing, offered to drop me back to my apartment. It was then a task to walk up the stairs.

Something similar to this happened to me last year on October 7, 2010 while I was in Niimi, Okayama, playing my usual Thursday football. That time it was my right ankle. And no that picture is not my ankle.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1204 { Late for work 1st Time in Yokohama... }
Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Arrived at work about 4 mins late for my class because I had to hop to work on my now swollen left ankle. Then the stairs at school didn't make things any easier.

All these things happening to me just before my summer holidays.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 1205 { Bad stare or am I just thinking? / Green Bug }
Thursday, July 7, 2011

My ankle is still hurting but I managed to get to work early today. Sometimes I get the feeling that some persons at work are giving me a bad stare, but I can't know for sure. Like today I got that feeling from the vice principal. Again it could be me just thinking stuff.


I saw this bug while going up the stairs to my apartment and I took a picture of it. Normally when I see these bugs, they are black... But this one is green.... Radiation???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1206 { Potential Student / Nokia leaving Japan }
Friday, July 8, 2011

I got my first potential evening student today... Yeah!!! After giving up and thinking that I had no chance whatsoever with most Japanese people knowing little to nothing at all about Jamaica. This was further proven last week when a grade 6 teacher, even after teaching his class for 3 months, suddenly asked me "Jamaicans speak English??" ... Yeah so it is a bit of a challenge to get evening students, with this area populated by foreign teachers from England, The US, Canada and Australia.


Battered by the popularity of smartphones, Nokia Corp. is abandoning the Japanese market after a brief foray with luxury cellphones costing as much as ¥20 million.


The Finnish handset maker, which had three stores in Japan, will by the end of the month close its last store selling high-end Vertu cellphones in Tokyo's Ginza district.

Neither the number of Vertu phones sold in Japan nor the timing of the decision to exit the market have been disclosed.

Nokia said in a statement Wednesday that it was "withdrawing from the Japanese market" to better focus on priority businesses. The company thanked its business partners, said its Tokyo office will be gone by the end of this year, but promised to continue to work with Japanese craftsmen in its business.


http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nb20110708a6.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1207 ( Fireworks Festival )
Saturday, July 9, 2011

My friend invited me to a fireworks festival in an area nearby known as Kurihama. This is near to a US naval base in an area known as Yokosuka. Thousands of people gathered from all over the prefecture to see 1 hour of fire works.

2 comments:

kiyoshi yamauchi said...

Hi, Dave!
I feel bad to learn that your ankle and ear are not good.
You showed us the photo of the green bug in this week's post.
It is "kanabun". Some of them are black or brown but some are green like the one you saw. Sometimes it's shining green.
No worries!

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

How the evening Student going Dave?
How do you communicate with them - do you have a translator?