A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

10 Reasons Why Foreigners in Japan Choose Japanese Women

Days 1978 - 1984
Sunday, August 18 - 24, 2013


Japanese word of the week : - anatano nihongo ga jyouzu desu / あなたの日本語が上手です。/Your Japanese is very good.


Day 1978 ( Ukai - Using birds to catch fish )
Sunday, August 18, 2013


Went to Arashiyama in Kyoto today. This is my second time coming to this location. I came here in 2009 with my friend Vany and some others.

But this was the first time I was seeing an ancient practice called ukai. I'm sure if the animal rights people saw this they would have a biiig problem. Some birds called cormorants but look like ducks/swans/geese, whatever they are, they look like ducks, so lets say they are ducks. Yeah so the guys get several ducks, make them hungry, tie their necks so that they can't swallow and keep them on strings like dogs on a leash. The ducks then catch the fish in the river, but because their necks are tied, they can't get to eat the fish. So the guys on the boat take the fish out of the duck's mouth. Is there something wrong with this?



I was in a boat with others. The boat ride was interesting. I will post the video soon. Actually it will be a part of a video blog that I am planning to create. Just don't have the time to sort it out yet.



later on I went on a duppy (ghost) train. I was hanging out with some of my duppy thugs....




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1979 ( Kansai Interview / Fukushima Plant Leaking Radioactive water into the sea)
Monday, August 19, 2013

I did an interview in Osaka today to take on a new job. First they gave me a test then the actual interview. The test was a challenge. This is how I know I need to do one of those TEFL courses really soon. The first question was what is a gerund........  As far as I know, that was the first time I was seeing that word... I checked my phone and realized it was when you add "ing" to a verb... Wow I'm dunce!!! And I'm an English teacher!!! You can be certain that the Japanese teachers of English know these stuff!!! Anyway, the interview was a breeze though. I got the job. And I was now fighting about when to move because they need us to start working on September 2 with a mandatory training on August 28.... I need to give my present company at least 30 days notice. So it wouldn't be a good idea just yet. But I'm still thinking. Its a big decision to make. And I'm very nervous about this move.

After the interview, I traveled from Osaka back to Yokohama using the local train thing. It took about 10 hours.

----------------------------------------------------

People in Japan.... Be careful of the water you drink and the food you are eating. It may contain radiation. The Japanese government is almost totally silent on the matter... You have to check international news to see what is going on in Japan. If the food/water is coming from Fukushima and surrounding areas like Tochigi etc be very careful.



Fukushima plant leaking 300 m3 per day of contaminated water into sea


A Japanese government official said an estimated 300 m3 of contaminated water is leaking into the ocean per day from the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant, after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe pledged on Wednesday to step up government efforts to stem radioactive water leakage.

Abe ordered the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry to urgently deal with the water situation and ensure the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co, takes appropriate action to deal with the cleanup, which is expected to take more
than 40 years and cost $11 billion.
http://www.euronews.com/2013/08/07/fukushima-plant-leaking-300-m3-per-day-of-contaminated-water-into-sea

Rate of radioactive flow to Pacific alarming

Fukushima No. 1 leaks estimated at 30 trillion becquerels since May 2011


Water releasing as much as 10 trillion becquerels of radioactive strontium and 20 trillion becquerels of cesium-137 from the Fukushima No. 1 power plant has flowed into the Pacific Ocean since May 2011, Tokyo Electric Power Co. estimates.

The combined figure of 30 trillion becquerels, announced late Wednesday, implies that highly radioactive water is entering the trenches under the damaged reactors’ turbine buildings.

The three reactors that had core meltdowns are being flooded by emergency cooling water needed to keep the leaky units stable, but the water is leaking from the reactors into the basements, where it is mixing with groundwater penetrating the walls of the 40-year-old plant.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/08/22/national/rate-of-radioactive-flow-to-pacific-alarming/#.Uh12h9JkOSo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1980 ( Beach Outing and BBQ/ Being Minority in Japan)
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 {5 Years 5 Months}




A guy that calls himself simply "J" who I started playing soccer with 2 weeks ago, invited me out to this Beach and BBQ outing. I thought it was only going to be a few of us. It ended up being about 30 peeps. I forgot my swimming shorts so I had to buy one at a shop nearby. But I like the one that I got.

That's my new shorts and that's J

We did BBQ by the beach. It wasn't the best but it was ok.


But I had to spoil the fun because I had work in Hiratsuka, which was kinda far away from this beach. So for the first time I got to my business class in Hiratsuka late. I was about 25 mins late and one student was there waiting on me. When I got there, my boss was kinda upset but she played it off well. About 10 mins later, a few more students showed up. For the advanced class, only the lone female in the group showed up. Recently, it has been only her.

----------------------------------------------------

I saw this article and I agree with it. Its a long article so I didn't post all of it. But you can read it by clicking the link below that I posted. What stood out to me the most in the article was this ....

Your small brush with discrimination in Japan is something that has been a lifelong battle for others who were born into a life of being a minority in our own countries. And many of them suffer far worse than we do in Japan.
Try being an African-American in the U.S. Or an aboriginal in Australia.
All too often what happens when a majority suddenly enters the minority, is accusations toward the other culture. When really, it should make us look more closely at our own.


What being a minority allows us to see

By AMY CHAVEZ

Yeah, yeah, I’ve heard it all before — many times. Someone called your child hafu (half) and you take offence. Or your contract is only one-year renewable, whereas your Japanese coworkers have “lifetime employment.” Or maybe someone called you a gaijin as you walked by. I’ve heard these stories dozens of times and while having myself been in some of the same situations, and while I can empathize, I also feel these “victims” are missing the point.

First of all, I’d like to say that discrimination is never acceptable. We all know that. Yet it continues to happen every day in Japan. Perhaps you have been told you are not allowed to enter a public bath because you either you have a tattoo, or because you’re a foreigner (and thus, it is believed, will behave inappropriately). Or maybe it’s that the clerk at the convenience store is visibly nervous that a foreigner has approached the counter, and that she, the clerk, may have to speak English. Or worse, the clerk doesn’t even listen to your flawless Japanese and responds inappropriately because she wasn’t listening to what you said in the first place.

Yes, this is Japan. Now, let’s jump to the rest of the world. Everyone admits that while discrimination (and stereotyping) are wrong, they happen all over the world, even in our own countries. So why is it that the very people who are discriminated against in Japan can’t empathize more deeply with those who are discriminated against in their own countries? Why is it still, as long as they are in their home countries, something that doesn’t concern them?

The Japanese are no more racist than Americans or people of many other countries. The only difference is that when you come to Japan, for the first time in your life, you are a minority and get to see what it’s like to be one. But for some reason, while here in Japan, discrimination suddenly becomes a personal affront, because it’s happening to you. And unfortunately, what follows tends to be the same conclusions: “The xenophobic Japanese!” Or “The Japanese are racist!” Now who is doing the stereotyping?

After being subjects of discrimination here, we scream like spoiled children, “Unfair!” While we have suddenly gained insight and an ability to see though the eyes of minorities around the world, we are blinded by our own self-worth and don’t suddenly empathize with other minorities struggling to achieve equality. No light bulb goes on in the head making us think: Aha! This is why the pilgrims fled England for North America! Or: So this is what the African-Americans in the U.S. struggle with every day!
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2013/08/16/our-lives/what-being-a-minority-allows-us-to-see/#.Uh2BeNJkOSp


Day 1981 ( Why Foreigners in Japan Choose Japanese Women )
Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Today was my first free day since June 4. I have been running all over the place doing random things as you may see if you are keeping up with me. I can't even keep up with myself. Anyway, I stayed in all day reading news, writing reports, reading manga, watching anime and catching up on the final season of Dexter.



----------------------------------------------------

Why Foreigners in Japan Choose Japanese Women

Disclaimer
I'm 585 readers late with this disclaimer... but better now than never. Many people read the following post and got offended which wasn't my intention. If its going to be your first time reading this post, please read my disclaimer before going ahead. try not to misunderstand the title nor the things I wrote...

This post created quite a stir... Far more than what I expected. Mostly from females misunderstanding my blog post. Some foreign females were offended and to my surprise, some Japanese females were offended as well. Sorry about that but I re-read the post several times and didn't see the reason to be offended. Unless there was clearly some misunderstanding. And there were many. I had no ill intention nor any strange motive. It was just to highlight what is going on in Japan and some possible reasons why. I've blogged about several controversial topics before but this one was the first to hit 500 readers in less than a day. So here goes.....

>My blogs are never ever to disrespect anyone in anyway.

>Foreigners in Japan - Doesn't mean any race in particular it means just foreigners (Chinese, Indians, Blacks, Brazilians, Whites, Other Asians ... )

>Male foreigners in Japan - Doesn't mean me (Dave) or only Black people or only Jamaicans... It means male foreigners ...

>Female foreigners in Japan - Doesn't mean Jamaicans or Americans or Chinese only... It means all female foreigners ...

>I'm not praising Japanese women in anyway .... nor putting down other races ... In fact, some Japanese women were offended, but then again, most Japanese are easily offended.

>I'm not hinting in anyway that Japanese women are better at anything than foreign women. As far as I know, the only thing Japanese women are better than foreign women with is being Japanese...

If you can understand all of this and read with an open mind then you should be fine.... Go right ahead

No that's not me.... come on now guys!

I know I'm going to get into some hot water with some females here in Japan on this one. But hey, warm water is nice ((: Most if not all the foreign men here in Japan are either going to totally agree with me on this one or be silent on the matter, from fear of the foreign females reaction.

Here are 10 reasons why foreign men choose Japanese women :

Its Relatively Easy



Depending on where in Japan you are located, its fairly easy to go on date with a Japanese lady. If you are thrown in the country side then God help you. But in the city? All you need to do is give a little attention, speak a little Japanese and that is all. Seriously!!! Foreign females are a little more complex in that sense. And most men I know would rather go the easy route than the long winding road. Let me repeat... not all men but most....

In my case, because I was thrown in the country side, plus I get nervous around females... It took my around 5-6 months to get a first date which flopped http://davecollyjap.blogspot.jp/2013/03/back-in-time-part-1-my-first-date-with.html

Cook / Clean / Wash etc with little or no fuss



I think Japanese women grow up with a natural instinct to cook, clean, pamper etc etc. Many are changing now-a-days I was told by some Japanese male friends of mine. But the vast majority of them will do these stuff just naturally. Some foreign women (many I know) will complain and whine about these stuff. We men like these things, and if its all natural.... even better. Actually I heard some Japanese women will complain bitterly if they are doing too much house work and the husband does nothing......That makes them equal with foreign women :)

Follow you wherever

Many (of course not all) Japanese girls will follow their husbands where ever he goes. No matter what prefecture, what country, they will give up their jobs and follow. Try asking a foreign girlfriend/wife that...Well I don't know but some may and some may not. Didn't quite research this.

We are in Japan - hence, mostly Japanese




Just the mere fact that you are in Japan, it means that 99% of the time you will be around Japanese people. Especially in the country side. So in some situations, there is really no choice. Other than to keep to yourself.

Foreign women not interested in us

This case is not very common... But heck it happened to me!!! I came to Japan single, I was 27 and I had absolutely no interest in Asian women. So I stuck to what/who I knew about ... Jamaicans. And I got turned down left, right and center. So what to do????

They want us 

Of course this is not always the case, actually as far as I know, most Japanese women would rather not date a foreigner. They will be silently ridiculed by other Japanese and be stared at, causing them to feel awkward. However.....There are some that date foreigners exclusively...and others who dream of dating foreigners, especially White foreigners.

Why date a foreigner when you are in Japan ?

This is not my idea at all but some foreigners here think like this. I remember when I just came to Japan, I was telling a friend of mine that I was interested in a Jamaican girl. My friend asked me if I was crazy and why in the world I would date another foreigner when I am living in Japan. In other words, get a new experience, not something I'm already used to. Go on an adventure.

Cute


Japanese women have a cute, innocent look about them that sort of draw us foreigners in. Not saying that there aren't many cute foreign ladies here. But the Japanese are far more abundant.


In the case of maaany Jamaican men - Long hair / brown skin

The average Jamaican male likes long hair and lighter skin tone. Listen to any Jamaican song and you will hear about the prized "browning" - meaning lighter skin female. Some people say it's a hatred of self, others say it's simply a choice, while others yet still say its how Hollywood sold it to us. Whatever the reason, it is what is so it's a win win situation in Japan.

Exotic effect 



Some of us are simply attracted to Japanese because of what I call the "exotic effect". They look different from us, we don't see them very often in our own country and we just want to know more about these people. Their eyes, their hair, their way of thinking etc.

---------------------

There is also the flip side as well. There are some very sad break up and divorce stories. It seem that most Japan and foreigner marriage end in divorce. I will come to that another time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1982 ( Shinjuku and Shibuya Visit )
Thursday, August 22, 2013

Went to Shinjuku today to sort out some business. Haven't been to Shinjuku in a while.


Then went to Shibuya at the Jamaican restaurant.

Shibuya 109

Good Wood Terrace

To my surprise, I met two different set of people I knew. First I saw my friend Yamato who lived in Jamaica for a while.


Then my Japanese female friends and their husbands who I haven't seen in over a year....  Choco duh nuh badda wid di foolishness...

Miki with the glasses in the center is 5 months pregnant.
No its not mine ...... Honestly its not!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1983 ( Another Free Day )
Friday, August 23, 2013

I got another free day again wow. My plan was for this entire week to be free.... I managed to get only 2 out of the 7. I stayed in a blogged all day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1984 ( A Day at the Pool / Castlevania for PS3 / Steel Pan at Oasis )
Saturday, August 24, 2013

Went to a cheap public pool in Yokohama today. This was my second time going there. Came here before last year with some foreigner friends.



I still can't swim very well.


After the pool, I went to bookoff and softmap and bought Castlevania for PS3 for a mere 500 yen / US $5... A PS3 game for 500 yen is unbelievable. The problem is I have not the slightest clue about when I will get the time to play this game.


Later I went to Hayama to the usual summer nightly events. Tonight was steel pan night. We missed most of it but managed to catch like the last 10 mins. It was still good .... Video coming up one of these days...


No comments: