A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Overworking in Japan may Cause Death (re-post) / Being Half Japanese in Japan


Days 2038 - 2044
Thursday, October 17 - Wednesday, October 23, 2013


Day 2038 ( Man of Steel / We're the Millers  )
Thursday, October 17, 2013

Had class with my private student and she said she is a scuba diving expert as well. She said she even see whales at times.

--------------------------------------

Recently I have been catching up on all the good movies that I missed throughout 2013. I forgot to mention that I watched "Man of Steel" a few days ago.


It gave a good background story to how super man came about and how his planet got destroyed. I see now exactly where dragon ball z got their story line. I should have known, Japanese are not usually particularly good at coming up with their own original ideas in my opinion. Careful... I said "Usually" so some are but most aren't. Anyway, I really liked the action sequences and the slight drift from the original super man movies. I give it a 7.5/10.

----------------------------------------

Today though I watched a comedy name "We're the Millers"



I saw it on my blog movie list thingy hitting number 1 sometime ago. A friend of mine also said I should see it. And I wasn't disappointed ... It was really funny. The general story line is kind of predictable but still funny nevertheless. I give it a 9/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 2039 ( Matchmaking Service in Japan )
Friday, October 18, 2013

Had 2 classes today then went home. No soccer today because the students are doing exams. I then went to the YMCA and played a game I knew long ago, with the students. Way back in time, I played this game quite a bit in Jamaica. We called it ABC fast or slow. Its difficult to explain but long and short, someone will say A-Z (in their minds) either fast or slow, then someone will say stop... Which ever letter the person stops at ...say for example "G" .. Everyone has 1 minute to think of a :

Male name, Female name, place, thing and food that begins with the letter "G" ... If 2 persons had the same names, their score will be halved. Anyone with unique names will be given 100 points. The students surprisingly enjoyed it.

-----------------------------------

Japan’s social-networking pioneer turns matchmaker




There was a time when the only social network that mattered in Japan was Mixi, but these days, after years of stagnation, it is hardly heard of in daily conversation — being replaced in popularity by rivals such as Gree, Mobage, Twitter, Facebook and most recently Line.

Now, however, Mixi is adding marriage/dating businesses to its basket. Is this simply a desperate move to regain relevance or a fightback challenge that could cure the nation’s low marriage/birth rate?

Since June, a new young president, 31-year-old Yusuke Asakura, has taken control of the company from its founder, Kenji Kasahara, and has set out to change Mixi’s declining popularity by starting several small in-house ventures not directly related to the main social-networking service.

With advertising sales declining, 2013 will be Mixi’s first year in the red since 2006 when it listed publicly.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2013/10/15/digital/japans-social-networking-pioneer-turns-matchmaker/#.UmjKt3BkOF9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2040 ( White House Down / Overworking in Japan  )
Saturday, October 19, 2013

Was supposed to cancel YMCA today and go to my last year main school's Sports Day. But I forgot to cancel so I had to be at the YMCA. I could've still gone to the sports day but it started raining so I went back home to more movies. This time I watched "White House Down" ... I liked the story generally, and I can so see a scenario like what took place in the movie, happening in the US. The general thing that is, not the whole bombs and rocket launcher stuff...


The little girl wasn't the best at acting at all. But she's a little girl so its ok. I give it a 7.5/10 just like "man of steel" up top.

-----------------------------------


Overworking In Japan May Cause Death




















Its no secret that Japanese in a general sense either love to work or like to make others work. The rich guys here have no problem in making their employees do mad over time. Even the government workers  can't escape this. Teachers and all. Its just a busy society. 


Thirty-four people involved in training programs for non-Japanese died in fiscal 2008, up 13 from the previous year and marking a record high, according to a survey by a government-linked training body.



The leading causes of death were brain and heart disease, which claimed 16 lives, while five trainees were killed in work-related accidents and four died in traffic accidents. Supporters of foreign trainees said they suspect many of the deaths blamed on brain and heart disorders were actually the result of overwork.
The Japan International Training Cooperation Organization, which conducted the survey, said the 34 who died were mostly in their 20s and 30s and that the ratio of brain and heart disease was roughly double that of Japanese in the same age bracket

You think the guys who run these companies give a damn? There is hardly any change in the work environment. People are stressed at work. sometimes doing nothing. But they have to be there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2041 ( This is the End / Despicable me / Spartacus )
Sunday, October 20, 2013 (5 years 7 months)

Today was one of those movie days again. A lazy Sunday. I watched "This is the end" not sure where I heard about it before but it got my interest and I watched it. It is supposed to be a comedy but much of it was quite corny. It has an all star cast, many actors and famous people in it. If you haven't seen any of their movies, you will find it even more stupid. Some very gross stuff is in it as well. I give it a 5/10 only because I laughed a few times.


-----------------------------------

I also saw an animated movie name "Despicable me" It has been around since 2010 but it was my first time seeing it. I usually see the minions (those tiny yellow things) on youtube and all over the internet but had no idea it was from a movie.


As is most animes for me, it was fun to watch. Family oriented but funny and has a good theme. I give it a 6.5/10

-----------------------------------

And now because Dexter is all over, I needed another series to fill that gap. And I found one... I was introduced to this series by my Jamaican friend about 2 years ago. And I finally decided to give it a chance. So far so good. Spartacus ..... I really enjoy the story and the direction where it going so far. I just don't really fancy the blood, gore and random naked men walking around sometimes.... The women I can deal with :)



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2042 ( J's Party )
Monday, October 21, 2013

Had only 1 class and I mostly run around with the 4 kids in the class. They already know most of the contents in the lesson so I am out of ideas as to what to do with them now. So they suggested running around playing tag... So that's mostly what I did.

-----------------------------------

I then went to a birthday party for one of the guys I play futsal (indoors soccer) with. He frequently has parties and/or outings. Really cool guy.

That's not him... This dude is crazy


Same idiot from up top

Bet you can't find me


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2043 ( Being Half Japanese in Japan- Mixed Japanese )
Tuesday, October 22, 2013


Usual busy Tuesdays. Only had 1 class at the High school where we spoke about gerunds. The went to Hiratsuka to teach business English. We spoke about travelling and airlines.

-----------------------------------

Being Half Japanese in Japan- Mixed Japanese

Around one in 49 babies born in Japan today are of mixed heritage. That’s a surprising figure considering that the country was closed off to foreigners for close to three centuries, way back when.

Until about two decades ago ha ̄fu (meaning “half-Japanese”) were viewed with a mixture of awe, envy, a bit of suspicion and a barrage of other emotions, some positive and some not. Now, mixed-race people are no longer that rare, and Japan has become more open about the whole thing. But have things really improved? Megumi Nishikura and Lara Perez Takagi’s documentary “Hafu” takes the bull by the horns and the results are intriguing.

The directors themselves are both of mixed cultures — and together they have a boatload of experience when it comes to looking, acting and feeling different on the archipelago



http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/10/03/films/hafu/#.UmkKp3BkOF9

Until about 10 years ago, the standard Japanese image of kids of mixed blood was that they were 1) gorgeous, 2) rich and 3) able to live in Japan with none of the kinks and hang out at Azabu clubs when they were 13. In high school, my girlfriends scorned their own Japanese heritage. The common reply to what we wanted to be when we graduated was “gaijin” (foreigner). Failing that, the next best option was to marry a gaijin and bear hāfu (mixed-race) kids, who would then automatically go on to have brilliant careers as newscasters or supermodels.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/10/03/films/double-the-trouble-twice-the-joy-for-japans-hfu/#.UmkK13BkOF9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2044 ( Double Wammy Typhoons / Fukushima Diary )
Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I had no lessons today at my main school. So I went there late. Only to get a call from a teacher saying I was supposed to mock interview a student. So now all the teachers know that I have a problem with time!! Even for work in Japan jeez...This is nothing new... Been happening to me since my first job after university in Jamaica.

I eventually did the mock interview along with another teacher. Then later on I went to the YMCA. I have 6 or 7 kids that I have to deal with on Wednesdays and they are a headache. I told the YMCA people to give me adults or teens... Not kids!!! But kids bring in the money so what to do?? After my headache classes I had my private student in Starbucks. He said 2 typhoons are coming. So after one left last week... 2 more are heading this way... Japan is like a pin in a bowling alley. The typhoons are racing to see which will hit Japan first.



As Japan recovers from one typhoon, another is on its doorstep.
Typhoon Wipha struck the country just a week ago. Typhoon Francisco is now on its way to the island, packing sustained winds near 150 km/h with gusts of 222 km/h and is moving west-northwestward at 15 km/h.
The storm is expected to make landfall near Tokyo Friday or Saturday as a category one typhoon.
http://globalnews.ca/news/918034/typhoon-francisco-heading-for-japan/

Less than a week after being hit by the largest typhoon in a decade, Tokyo is bracing for another strong storm that will likely reach the area Saturday, and it may get merged with an even stronger approaching tempest.

Though less powerful than Typhoon Wipha, incoming tropical cyclone Francisco is rated as “strong,” the Meteorological Agency said. But on a possible collision course is Typhoon Lekima, considered “more fierce.”

As of 3 p.m. Wednesday, Typhoon Francisco, the 27th this year, was located about 180 km south of Minamidaito Island, east of Okinawa, heading northwest at a speed of 15 kph.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/10/23/national/big-typhoons-may-collide-off-honshu/#.UmkU73BkOF8

-----------------------------------

If you want to keep seriously up to date with what is going on with the nuclear stuff in Fukushima, then check out this site...

http://fukushima-diary.com/category/dnews/

1 comment:

herve robert said...


HI, I just let you know, that you can :

Post Free classifieds to buy & sell,jobs, personals on www.ulist.jp Japan
& Promote & list your blog。。。