A day-to-day, true to life drama of a Jamaican male, living and working in Japan.

Check it out

Translate / 翻訳する

Flag Counter

free counters

Monday, August 16, 2010

Days 872 - 878, Sunday, August 8 - Saturday, August 14, 2010


Days 872 - 878,
Sunday, August 8 - Saturday, August 14, 2010



Day 872 { Leaving Virginia / Virginia Day 10}
Sunday, August 8, 2010

Went to a church known as Buckroe Baptist and performed one of my poems. I sold 2 of my books there after my performance. I then had lunch with a couple of my friends.

Did my final packing to head for Jamaica, then gave the Lassiter family (who kindly hosted me for the week) a copy of my book and some key rings from Japan and South Korea.

The sports Coordinator guy then picked me up at 11:00 pm to take me to the airport in Washington DC. I have a 8:00 am flight tomorrow but because the sports coordinator was going to be very busy throughout today, he had to take me to the airport at the most convenient time to him.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed myself in Virginia, and it was good seeing old friends again since 2005 and 2007.

======================================
======================================

Day 873 { Jamaica 1 / Surprising My Family }

Monday, August 9, 2010

Got to Washington Dulles Airport at about 4am this morning. Went through security then slept for a while. Took Jet blue flight to New York (JFK), wait for about 3 hours at JFK then took 3 hour flight from New York to Jamaica. I sat at the window seat and a lady with a baby sat in the aisle seat. She had a couple bags with her so when the plane landed, she waited until every single person was out of the plane. I of course had to wait until she moved before I could get out, which meant that I was the very last person off the plane.... Then, it so happened that about 5 other planes landed around the time as our plane but a little before... The Airport in Kingston, Jamaica being so small meant that I had to join a verrrry long line... And guess who was at the back? The lady with the baby got assistance because of course she had a baby, so they allowed her to go up to the front quickly.

I waited in the line for 2 hours then joined another line and chose the "Nothing to declare line". Unfortunately, I mistakenly wrote on the declaration form in Jamaican dollars instead of US dollars. So the Customs officer told me to join the items to declare line instead.... The lady in the items to declare line then started asking me about my books... and everything else... She eventually made me go through, then I went out to meet my friend who was waiting on me for 2 hours with his pregnant wife.... I went to his house, gave him the PS3 blue tooth head set, then another friend of mine took me home.

I got to my house at 10:30 pm and knocked on the grill. My sister peeked out and jumped with excitement "I can't believe this, I can't believe this" she kept saying.... Then she woke up my mother who was also quite surprised and excited. So my plan worked ..... :) .... My sister and my aunt suspected that I was coming home but they weren't sure about it... They also weren't sure about the exact date. A couple persons started suspecting because I posted a whole lot of pictures on my facebook account.

==============================================
==============================================
Day 874 {Jamaica 2}
Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Went to the Portmore mall (A mall in my community) with my mom to pay my credit card bill and to buy some groceries in the supermarket. Saw a primary school classmate of mine who now owns a car business. My sister then came to pick us up from the mall.


This picture is of a very sweet mango in Jamaica that we call East Indian... and the other fruit is what we call guinep...

====================================
====================================

Day 875 { Ja
maica 3}

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Went to sort out out some stuff with my car then picked up my cousin. My aunt and cousins who live nearby came to visit us. We talked, laughed and had a grand time. I haven't laughed so hard in almost a year. There is really no place like home.


This picture is of Stewed chicken, rice and peas along with a vegetable we call in Jamaica pok choy. I saw on the internet that the proper name is actually bok choy (Chinese Cabbage) ...

============================================
============================================

Day 876 { Jamaica 4 }
Thursday, August 12, 2010

Stayed in all day today playing Call of duty Modern Warfare 2. Also called a couple of my friends in Jamaica to catch up with them. It is interesting that today is Day 876 on my blog and the international dialing code for Jamaica is also 876 ... What a co incidence :-)


This picture is what guinep looks like when you peel of the outside...
=============================================
=============================================

Day 877 { Jamaica 5 / Japanese Embassy Meeting / University Best Friends meeting }
Friday, August 13, 2010

Met for the first time, one of the persons who helped me to translate one of my poems. She has been living in Jamaica since 1994 and she occasionally teach Japanese at my former university. Her name is Tomoko Uemura. She introduced me to a couple of the persons who work at the Japanese Embassy in Jamaica. And I also met the Japanese Ambassador to Jamaica Hiroshi Yamaguchi.

I got 3 books sold there and gave a copy to the Embassy. I then went across the road to meet 2 of my university friends who work at the main commercial bank in Jamaica, National Commercial Bank (NCB). I spoke to them for about 30 mins then headed home, because I was going to see them again later in the night.

So later in the night I drove to my friend's house (the one who picked me up at the airport). Then I drove him and another friend (The one who dropped me home) to meet up with another set of friends from university.

We ate pizza, watch some movies and they made me read 2 of my poems... this is one of them that I read... the audio and video is kind of poor though.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPJTAhxs7BY

I forgot to mention that while I was driving to my friend's house, I was stopped by the police because one of my car head lamps was bad. I had to do some negotiating to get away from them without a ticket and without losing points off my license.








I slept over by my friend's place because I didn't want to get stopped by another police.

========================================
========================================

Day 878 { Jamaica 6 }
Saturday, August 14, 2010

Woke up at my friend's place and she showed me the house that she bought in a different area of town. I then dropped her at the hair dresser then headed to a car dealer to buy a front bulb for the car.

Two of my friends visited me when I got home and we chatted for a very long time... Basically catching up on where our lives are at the moment.

1 comment:

zRö TöLéRàNçE said...

Bwoy Dave - tomorrow you gone again.
It was good - remember to sort out the "CITY" thing.